jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How do you prepare for a job interview?

1. Sarah Haworth profile image80
    Sarah Haworthposted 23 months ago

How do you prepare for a job interview?

As a student with limited experience (1 informal interview), how should I prepare for a serious job interview?

2. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 23 months ago

Make sure you know as much about the company and the position as possible.  Go on their website to do research.  Have questions ready because at the end they will ask you if you have any questions.  Make sure they are good questions about the job. Don't ask about salary--wait until they offer you the job.  Don't go into benefits either.  Google interview questions--they have plenty of examples, plus example answers.  Even if you do not get the job, it is good practice for the next one.

Sarah Haworthposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Thank you so much for the answer! It is really helpful and I will do as you suggested smile

3. lions44 profile image98
    lions44posted 23 months ago

All of what Lolita said and I'll add this - be able to answer the following pseudo question without much trouble:  Tell us a little bit about yourself?
    Don't drone on in too much detail.  Brevity is the key.  Nothing like "I collect blah, blah blah."  or "I love to talk long walks in the rain."   

This is a test of common sense.  Include where you're from (if that's not obvious), what clubs you belonged to in college or sport you played.  Off hours activity? Anything like running or hiking. Just avoid clich├ęs.
    The only other tough question might be, "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?"  But I'm not sure they ask that kind of stuff anymore because of the nature of the workforce today.  I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can always say something like, "Well, with the nature of business today, who knows where I might be."   Positive but honest. 
    But go over those practice interview questions as much as you can. MSN has great ones.  Good luck.

Sarah Haworthposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Thanks @CJ Kelly, I did not think of those types of questions!! I'll keep them in mind smile

4. manatita44 profile image84
    manatita44posted 23 months ago

For me the most important thing was to feel that I was selling myself, rather like a salesman does with his products. Why should you buy this pair of shoes and not others? Why buy my food when someone else has the same? In interview terms this translates as: Why do you wish to work for us? Why should we employ you? In other words, what have you got to offer?

Study the Job description, as some questions will come from it, but many a time you may not know something and still get the job. They must feel your hunger; your loyalty; your Team spirit, your humility with strength.

Apologise if you don't know, while coming straight back with the fact that you really want the job, and will do your best to learn quickly. Of course they must feel this. Be sincere, and you can only do this, if you really want the job. So choose something that you like.

Finally, dress smartly, write well even on application forms and carry yourself well at interviews. Look up, smile, shake hands before sitting down, appear confident. Be weary about discussing salary before you feel confident to do so. Do not over sell your virtues or experience. Be balanced. Do not talk too little or two much.

Be kind, brave, appear caring and courteous ...be fluent in speech and conviction. A good CV is great, but remember all these other things. Prepare but sometimes very little on the subject may come, as they will look for the things mentioned. What are your strengths? What are your weaknesses. Ponder these well and present them well if asked.

Some interviewers will also use scenarios, maths or care plans or presentations, according to the nature of the job. Be prepared. Best wishes.