How can breast cancer be eliminated in our society
Breast cancer is due to cells mutating, and not all of these factors are something we want to change.
* age - breast cancer risk goes up with age, and we see a higher rate of breast cancer because it is occurring in women who didn't die of tuberculosis or in childbirth
* birth rate - the more children you have (and breastfeed), the lower the risk of breast cancer. The developed world has seen the number of childless women double and family size drop to 2 or fewer children per woman. I'm not going to advocate someone have a third child to lower the risk of breast cancer, and I won't tell someone to breastfeed due to the work it demands over bottle feeding - and I have done both with my children.
* abortion and miscarriage - the odds of breast cancer go up for every pre-term miscarriage and abortion a woman has; while I'd like both of these to go to zero, only reductions in miscarriage rates would be socially accepted
* obesity - this is a risk factor for breast cancer we can try to address individually and society wide
* family history - can't do much about this except genetic screening
by alexandriaruthk4 years ago
Will you consider mastectomy, breast removal if you have risk of breast cancer?It is tough for women.
by Karen Hellier4 years ago
What do you think of Angelina Jolie's recent decision to have a double mastectomy?If you are a woman and had the same test results, would you have made the same decision? If you're a man, would you want your...
by Wendy Iturrizaga7 years ago
Hello, thank you to all the HubMobsters who took part in last week's Best gifts HubMob, we had 88 hubs with lots of original ideas for gift giving during the upcoming holidays. We had some new HubMobsters joining...
by Simone Haruko Smith5 years ago
What advice and insights can you provide on cancer? (Weekly Topic Inspiration)Cancer is a scary, emotionally-charged issue, but it is something well worth discussing. What advice and insights can you share on various...
by Wendy Iturrizaga8 months ago
HubMob Weekly Topic: Breast Cancer Awareness
by Sunshiney317 years ago
I have 5 nodules 3 in one breast and 2 in the other.Last year at my yearly exam they were not there,so the Dr is very concerned.I go in on Monday for a mammogram.I'm pretty dag on nervous.I knew of one of the lumps and...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.