jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Were you ever fired from your job? If so, did you bounce back or did you ......s

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 11 months ago

Were you ever fired from your job? If so, did you bounce back or did you ......simply give up?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8101764_f260.jpg

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 11 months ago

Once I was asked to resign due to Corporate acquisition and reorganization. Oh well . . . I got a new job within the same career in a few months with no real losses.

3. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 11 months ago

I was fired from my very first job, when I was 16, because the boss changed my schedule, and forgot to call me about it. When I didn't show up for a shift I didn't know I was supposed to cover, I got canned. No big loss.

Years later, I was "fired" from a corporate job in a department that was continually being downsized. It was clear in my exit interview that all the bosses above me were looking for a cause for firing, but everything they threw at me, I could easily dispute, with proof. It was pretty amusing, once I realized they didn't really have grounds to fire me, and were just looking for an excuse not to have to lay me off, and pay me a severance package. When I filed for unemployment, the company disputed it, saying I was fired, so I took it to arbitration, and the labor board found in my favor: I was laid off, not fired for cause.

While I was waiting for the unemployment situation to resolve itself, I got a contract with a local publishing company to put together a book. When I turned it in a month later, they hired me full time, and matched my corporate salary. I used the firing/lay off scare as a heads up to get my finances in order, and spent two years at that publishing company, paying off all my bills. When I left to start my own company, I was debt free, and had a good six months of cash in the bank, in case I fell on my face. That was 11 years ago. I've been boss free, and hassle free, ever since. Losing that corporate gig turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image35
    bradmasterOCcalposted 11 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12718487_f260.jpg

Grace, I have been Fired, laid off, and down sized. And being a white male didn't help me at all because most of the people that shared this same experience were also white. I usually found a better job at a better company.
    The short answer for the ? is that the cycle of employment and unemployment is always present for the private non union sector. So, like a shark, you have to keep moving or you will not survive. It is a shame that corporate America was able to make the At Will Employment Contract so ubiquitous in the private sector. They even made existing employees sign these contracts or they were let go. I don't understand why this contract wasn't made a main issue at any election campaign.

Basically, you are employed at the Will of the Employer. They can terminate without cause. Sure, the At Will is Bilateral but if you leave the employer in the lurch, do you think that will be OK.

Del if u wish.

I am in the computer field and I worked for several startups companies and some failed but it was made up with those that made a fortune. I was also an independent contractor working mostly in the defense industry specifically in military aircraft computer systems. The point here is that as independent contractor you are accustomed to leaving the company when your project is finished.

Today, there is little job security in being an employee, and the choice between employee or contractor is simply one of benefits, mainly health insurance. I incorporated for the independent contractor jobs and I was able to make my own benefits. Although as the employer, I had to pay both sides of FICA.

5. Madoline Balle profile image78
    Madoline Balleposted 11 months ago

I was fired from my job as a Financial Adviser. Sickness had me in such a position that I simply could not handle anything but trying to take care of myself. I didn't file for unemployment, or disability, or really do anything about it at all. I am still not well enough to work, and I have used my retirement to survive for the past couple years. I try to work from home as much as possible, but have yet to successfully complete any project to bring in much money. I do not feel bad about any of this at all, and this has been a blessing in disguise. As with all closed paths there are many others to pursue. I am hoping that something pans out soon so that I can continue to count this as a blessing.

6. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 11 months ago

The only job I was ever fired from was a telemarketing position, and I knew it was coming because I'd made no sales after a few days.

working