I quit my job today...

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 53 discussions (111 posts)
  1. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 14 years ago

Hey all,

Just wanted to talk about what I did today.  I quit my job to go in a completely different direction with my life.  I'm a little scared because it was a good job, good people and good hours and I hope I won't regret it. 

The thing is, I am not happy with what I'm doing.  I found myself anxious and uneasy about where my life was heading and knew I wasn't doing what I was supposed to.  Does anyone feel like that?

Now I'm not sure if my new adventure is going to be successful, but I'm taking the plunge.  Actually I already did take the plunge...  Am I crazy or what?

1. cheaptrick profile image74
      cheaptrickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do what you love to do and the money will come.
      Every time my partner and I start a new venture I get a bit shaky,push that aside and keep in mind that the lions share of the profits from any venture goes to the owner.
      "God bless the child that's got his own"appropriately from a song by "Blood,Sweat,and Tears".

2. seanorjohn profile image71
      seanorjohnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have made the right decision. I have always been at my happiest when I quit a job even though I am always happy to land a job.The sense of relief outweighs everything.

Good luck.

3. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good on you! I quit my day job a few months back and am soley working online now and I love it! I might not have quite as much money as I had before, but who cares smile The freedom is well worth the price. My earnings are increasing every week and I'm sure that before long they will supercede my previous wage and for less hours work too. I hope it all works out for you smile

megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats great to hear and gives me courage.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

4. wsp2469 profile image59
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, you're married so for all we know your husband makes enough for y'all to scrape by HOWEVER if you ask me--and you did--you should have simply been looking for a job while still working.  You look a bit more attractive to perspective employers and you feel better about yourself, too.  I speak from experience on this; trust me.
      NOW you might end up worrying about doing the wrong thing, paying bills, wondering what your hubby really thinks, etc.  So all I can say now is next time shop around while you have a job and I hope you get something soon.  It IS cool to just up and say i quit though . . . it's a fleeting thrill but a thrill nonetheless!
      (Long time no see, by the way!)

Hey there WSP.  Yes, I am married, and he has been the breadwinner to date, but it still hasn't been enough to live in total comfort.  We have 3 kids, a mortgage, etc and we needed to find a way to make more money, while allowing me to stay at home because my hubby works away from home for the week and I need to be available to our children instead of sending them to daycare and throwing away all our money.  What is the point of that anyway?  It was so frustrating.  And I was always running, running running and not able to ever just sit with my kids and enjoy some free time. 

ANyways, it has occurred to me that I have not told anyone what new adventure I am embarking on, so here it is.  Let me know what you all think.

First of all, I am still an ESL teacher and give courses in my free time to supplement our income, but I have decided to take on more clients until the end of June.  Then in June, I will be advertising a new "Diner Scolaire" (lunchtime daycare) starting in September that will be run strictly and solely in english.  to date, I have 3 registrations and have not even started advertising.  I only need seven to make a decent wage, but can get up to 15 kids (with an employee) to be set.

The beauty of this business for me is that I get to be home.  My kids get to come home for lunch instead of going to daycare and I have PD days off and summers too.  No more scrambling for sitters or stressing about march break and who will watch the kids.  The fact that the children will be learing english gives my business an advantage over the others.  I think it will be hard, but I also think it will be hugely rewarding to see these kids learn a second language.

so what do you think?

1. wsp2469 profile image59
          wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hope it works out for you AND it's good that you have a plan!

5. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this is great...You must always follow your instinct wherever it leads...kudos for taking the chance

6. Sara Tonyn profile image60
      Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's great you had the courage to make such a bold move. I did something similar a few years back and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Best of luck to you!

7. Neil Ashworth profile image42
      Neil Ashworthposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations! It's a tough first step to take and very scary if you have never gone solo before but there is never a perfect time to walk out on your job and start a whole new life as an entrepreneur; whatever way you decide to earn your living.

I quit my day job around 6 months ago - walked out - told the boss more or less what I thought of him ( I held back a little ) and headed home to my wife and three young children feeling sick to the stomach and elated at the same time.

Six months later - life is very different. I notice things I had not seen for years, I love my wife as though I were a boy of 19 again and I am excited about what will happen tomorrow and the next day. My advice (who ever listened to me!); Follow your instincts and your life path will be filled with great friends, experiences and long lasting memories... You will be fine in other words.

8. MikeNV profile image67
      MikeNVposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Life is not about "job".  You define the terms of your own life, no matter how much money you make if your job is making you unhappy it's not worth doing.  Of course you still need to find a way to support yourself.

It's always a good idea to have something lined up before you jump ship... especially in today's economic climate.

Good luck with your new life choices.

9. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I feel like this every day.

I wish I could quit but I don't have the intestinal fortitude to make the jump...

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know, the worst part is thinking about it - doing it is easy.

10. liljen23 profile image75
      liljen23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Megs, you are not crazy.. Do what makes you happy.. I completely understand because I quit my job last year and haven't went back into the 9 to 5 since then.. I love my life now, I feel like I control it and the sky is the limit.. I am making some progress on here and I'm proud of what I am doing.. I am also finishing school as well.. When I was working a 9 to 5 it seemed pointless to me and it felt like I was wasting time.. I don't even miss the money because I know I can achieve a far more greater income doing what I like to do.. smile

Jennifer

11. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well good luck to you.  I started a new job today.

12. profile image0
      Sarra Garrettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No you are not crazy you are brave.  Sometimes we get in a rut and can't seem to find our way out.  The best way out of a rut is what you did.....start all over again.  That's what I have done.  It's more important for you to feel self worth than it is to make corporate America happy (because that just ain't gonna happen)  Take what you do the best and fly with it!!!  There is only one way to go and that is up!  Kudos to you.

13. johnnaash profile image60
      johnnaashposted 13 years agoin reply to this

its always good to leave job when you are not satisfied with the work which u were doing.. all the very best for future...

14. profile image48
      marvingarciaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you believe in your self, then you won't have to be  remorseful in future. Got it...?
      http://www.articlesbase.com/supplements … 61173.html

15. profile image50
      sanjeevsingleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hi guys ,
                     i m into immigration business ,i am looking  anyone who want to earn money by just sponcering immegtants very easy. can cont . me  sanjeev2000a@hotmail.com'
      welcome of all

16. LITSolutionGroup profile image60
      LITSolutionGroupposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Good Luck with your new venture. Just because its a good job, doesn't necessarily mean you should stay at the cost of your happiness. Have self belief and be determined to make it happen. All the best

2. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

I feel like that every day! I'm trying to figure out what it is I want to do before I quit my job. Congratulations ang good luck! If you are pursuing something you love, that is supposedly what makes people successful anyway!

its not the best feeling is it?  that little something that keeps nagging at you telling you, 'you weren't made for this'...well, I don't know if you feel that, but thats what I hear anyways.

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
        Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly what I feel like. I almost have to tie myself to my chair just so I'll sit in it. I'm not the most active person, but I'm not meant to sit in front of a computer all day. What was I thinking?

3. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

You did what you felt like you needed to do. No one can blame you for that. I wish you the best of luck in following your hearts endevers  ( sorry about the typo )

4. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

No you aren't crazy at all! If you feel taht the last job wasn't for you then you are in the right to quit and to go in a different direction. Be happy with your choices! Good for you megs!

Thanks Crazd!  its a good thing I have a hubby who supports this decision because if not, it would never happen.  Gotta give it up for good men!!! smile

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yep definitely got to give up to good men. If i didn't have such a graet hubby I would be working at a job i hated right now too. sad but hey he isn't and he is pushing me to look for a teaching job and stay unemployed until then.

So now it is just time for you to find a job you like and are comfortable in. And thanks to the supportive hubby you;ll be just fine smile

5. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I am kinda jealous actually smile
    If I had more savings to tide me over while working online, even writing blog posts for others allowing me to build a real internet presence and income I would quit now. I am instead fitting in my internet work when I can until I have loads of good hubs getting traffic, it will take longer but be the safer way for me. I will get there too! big_smile

6. Ms Chievous profile image66
    Ms Chievousposted 14 years ago

Can't answer if you are crazy big_smile  But you are definately brave.  Sometimes it takes an act like this to turn your life around. Good for you for taking the plunge and just not going through the motions at your job.  I hope you find what you are really looking for!

I hope its this that I've been looking for.  I feel like it could be.  It just seems that it will fit my life.  smile

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I did that at the end of 2003 after 14 years in a job, in which I had reached burnout. I've never regretted leaving. More power to you for doing what you want to do rather than staying tied to what you don't want to do out of fear!

1. harryinc profile image61
      harryincposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I quit my job 2 months ago and I am happy. It depends on what is your goal and what keeps you on your feet. Lot of times you get bored because you don't get to meet people you usually do at work. It all depends on your priorities and what you need.

I agree.  I think I will miss the social life that I had inside of work.  There were always parties, people to talk to, etc.  So I will have to make myself a new network I guess.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not for me. I hated the stupid office talk about soap operas and sport. I also hated having bad managers breathing down my neck and telling me how to do my job. I loathe the whole concept of corporate culture and teamwork.

I'm so much happier just communicating with my clients by email and receiving the occasional phone call. I stand or fall by the quality of my work alone, which suits me fine. I can also choose to work like crazy for days/weeks and then take as much holiday as I want when I want instead of being stuck with a paltry 5 weeks a year.

I am not a big fan of union politics either and I hated being tied to a place that I couldn't leave to go and help my daughter tie her skates for a school outing.  Or be a volunteer mother on one of the class trips.  Or how I would feel guilty about calling in sick because my son had flu.  I hate all that.  And it will be very cool to have summers OFF!

2. megs78 profile image61

thanks for that smile

8. efeguy profile image40
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

is good when we follow our instinct.

you we succeed i know.i also quit my job 3months ago because i don't enjoy the type of job.

all d best

9. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

I did this almost 2 years ago and it was the best decision I ever made though at the time I felt scared and anxious.  I was just so tired of allowing someone else be in control of my career and jump through hoops to avoid layoffs that I finally went in one day and quit. I didn't give any warning or any notice either just the way they had laid off my friends and coworkers.

And are things working out for you now?  did you have some money set aside?  are you worried about retirement?  these are the questions I ask myself.  My present adventure may be good money, but there is no retirement attached to it.  There is also no government money to be tapped into or to pay into that I can access later on and that kinda freaks me out a little.

10. megs78 profile image61

Well, this is making me feel better.  thanks everyone for the comments. 

Kristen, i know what you mean about the money.  But I think I can make more with this new adventure and I'll also be able to be with my children more.  It seems like a win win, but it will also be a lot of hard work.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a winner to me! big_smile

I guess at the end of the day we must pursue our dreams and happiness, take the plunge or take the safer longer route and spend every ounce of free time to build to a stage when taking the plunge seems more like just sliding into the dream smile Whichever way we take we do ourselves a favor.

11. megs78 profile image61

sorry, I mean Kirsten.  I think I'm kinda dyslexic...

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Then you need to join DAM: Mothers Against Dyslexia.
      smile
      Sorry, couldn't resist.

YOU GO GIRL!! WOOHOOO! Scarey, hell, yeah! Liberated and freedom? Priceless.
      Let us know how things are going!

Haha thats hilarious, I didn't even get it at first because i totally thought the acronym was right. my dad is dyslexic, so maybe I'm onto something here eh?  smile

2. profile image0
        lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Daniel LMFAO peed my pants that was so funny

12. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

Good for you! Lots of luck!

thanks smile

13. Ann Nonymous profile image61
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

Brings back memories! I did the same thing last year for many personal reasons. The great advantage is I have an open invitation to always get my position back, but I felt a little overwhelmed there and a thought  it was not where I was supposed to be, despite how glamorous it looked, and despite the fact how hard it is to get a job and keep it these days!

I admire your braveness and hope you find whatever you are looking for, find direction and find your dream job/position/fulfillment!!!! Good luck, best wishes and God bless, Megs! Take the Plunge!!!

Thank you Ann!  I hope I will be able to keep my courage up even while I am scraping pennies for a cup of coffee smile  haha, just kidding, I make my husband do that... smile  I shall keep you posted on this ongoing adventure.

1. Ann Nonymous profile image61
        Ann Nonymousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I would really appreciate that! I sincerely wish you the best! So glad you have a supportive husband! I can still lean on my dad for financial aid  if I need to but it's not nice when you begin to enter the red zone! But you have an excellent attitude so you will do GREAT!!!!!!!!!

14. Hokey profile image61
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

Follow your heart, believe in yourself and all will be well.

I think this is some of the hardest advice to follow that has ever been given.  The heart seems to be such a naive and fickle thing and my brain often wins out over it.  But finally, I've decided to go with my insticts and see how it plays out.

15. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Good Job!

One of the best things I did with my life was leave the job that was draining my life away!

It is kind of like being drained isnt it?  I have been questioning my life for a while now and I always kept coming back to my job and how could I possibly keep doing this for another 30 years.  It felt so completely depressing and draining, I knew I had to find another way.  and here I am.

1. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know exactly what you mean, I spent 8 hours a day procrastinating in my old job, and that gets old real quick.

16. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Things are working out fantastic. I started my consulting business with little money in reserves, probably a 3 month emergency stash, but the jobs started rolling in and my income has since tripled.  I rolled my 401k over into a Roth along with an IRA that I already had with ING.  That was the scary part, having no backups and no safeguards.  Being self employed is a big responsibility and you can't just think about next weeks paycheck. It's good you are thinking about those things because they should be budgeted for as soon as you can.

Hmmm, I have no idea about this 401k and roth thing, but it seems like a pretty good idea.  I'll have to look into that.  I am Canadian though, so what is the equivalent of that to me?

1. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They're self directed retirement plans here in the US. With the Roth plans we put in after tax dollars and when we retire and draw the funds they're not taxed again.  Unlike employer based 401K plans that are pre-tax funded. With those we pay taxes on the funds as we draw them at retirement. 

Not sure what its like with private pension plans in Canada but I found this site and it might help you get an idea: http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/planning/index.jsp

17. Springboard profile image84
    Springboardposted 14 years ago

I'm a firm believer in not limiting oneself. Risk is about success and failure. Obviously we strive for success...but you can't succeed unless you try.

18. profile image0
    Jared in Vegasposted 14 years ago

I quit my job about a month ago for similar reasons and haven't regretted it one bit. It was one of the best feelings I've ever had. I always imagined deliberatly knocking over a cup of pens on my way out though - didn't happen. Oh well. Good luck.

19. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Well I went on my own in business at 23, and have enjoyed going to work every day of my life! I worked for me, I made the decisions, I decide if I could afford time off.
    In 30 years I only needed to work about 20 of them. My employees loved their jobs too, do I wondered up north for about 3 or 4 months a year and lay in the sunshine. I was able to travel to America for 6 weeks when still in my early 20's and retired the first time at 27. ( I opened another business when inflation ate more money than I thought it would)but that is another story.
    It was so easy to do I can hardly believe it. A year later I was standing up at a SWAP meeting explaining how I did it.
    I was asked to explain how I could start a business with no money that was without debt in 3 months and replacing all of my income.
    I simply bought and sold second-hand items that I understood well, ignored money and just worked like hell because I wanted to.
    I explained then what you have already seen. You will not be successful doing things you hate. If you love what you do, and love giving your best, it is a cakewalk! Attitude is everything! I hope this little story inspires you, I love to see people win!

1. Susana S profile image93

That really is inspiring earnest smile Such a young age to quit the rat race and take life in your own hands. Have you writtenhubs about your experiences? I'd sure love to read them if you have smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I have written hubs about what I learned from that experience, but I have done so much it needs sorting out. I have owned and managed 11 of my own businesses and consulted to other businesses since 1977 when I registered my first company for that purpose using my own name as the Company name, very upfront.

I could say read my hubs but you would need to read a few to get the idea, I am a lay person who rejects many business principals.
        You will definitely find some different ideas on business, but I would have to look back through and see what may be useful!
        I did business all wrong, some of it knowingly, some of it instinct and that became my modus operandi. I ran the same couple of simple ideas across a wide range of businesses of my own and those I consulted to, restaurants, motorcycle shops, mechanical workshops, gold mining in America and Austrralia,men's clothing, online businesses,(current) offline online business promotion and SEO for a brick Company!

Briefly, I overpaid all my employees as soon as we could afford it, I split profit with them when their performance was responsible for better than average profits, I paid more than anyone else for stock, sold it cheaper, gave away smaller items with most sales, and made my customers feel like we were their trusted family. All easy if you have that spirit running that says. "I like this! I am going to add whatever I can find to make my business a better experience to work in or deal with."

By the way, I started from home with AU$4.00 and a loan from my brother-inlaw of $55 dollars. The other thing I almost forgot to mention, we shared all our knowledge, yes even to all our customers. I commend this way of being in business, I always slept like a baby! lol

I like different smile And your approach is refreshing in terms of paying people well, rather than simply using them as dogs (like the majority of companies do), profit sharing and giving more than is expected to cusotmers. I'm taking this on board 100% - it's not such a leap for me since I used to work in the co-operative sector which is based on high ethical standards.

Please post links to your hubs on this - I looked but none jumped out at me saying "this is about my business experience".

smile

20. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I'm finally actually-and-truly retired but can say with all honesty:  Between the ages of 17 and 66, I quit more than 100 jobs...and loved every single job-dump I did.  Sometimes I had my own business, and I even enjoyed quitting THAT!  When it came to GETING a good, new job--that was pretty special, all right, not to mention a great relief when it meant keeping the wolf from the door a little longer.

But QUITTING?  That's better than...that word that gets people banned from AdSense!

I remember one truly classic time in eastern Montana, October, 1982.  Had been driving truck in the oilpatch for Halliburton.  Big slump hit.  I didn't get fired but, when our camp size had dwindled from 163 to 55 drivers, was offered a transfer to Beach, ND.  Refused it.  THEN I got laid off, but in my mind (since I did have the transfer offer first) I quit.  Other remaining Halliburton hands were stunned to see me WHISTLING as I turned in the last of my gear and left the camp for the last time. 

Quitting can be a GOOD thing! big_smile

I agree Ghost - quitting can be totally empowering. Especially when it's because you decide you don't want someone elses random sh*t heaped on you, or you discover you've got more talents than your job requires you to use.

2. forties profile image60
      fortiesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is an offshore Trucking jobs advert. Fortiesoilfields (UK) is currently seeking Heavy Truck drivers, welders , crane operators willing to work abroad on contract basis for 3 yrs term with relocation benefits and free housing to support the provisions of Jobs against the rising unemployment in the transportation industry. Send in ur resume/CV via email: hr.wulloilfields@live.com

21. blondepoet profile image67
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Good on you Megs, you are a true champ taking the chance, stepping out of familiarity, chasing your dreams.
    Good luck to what you are going to do,you sock it to them.

Yes, familiarity is comforting, but so boring eh?  thanks for the encouragement blondepoet!

22. lovelypaper profile image58
    lovelypaperposted 14 years ago

It's funny I would stumble upon this post. I too, am feeling a little anxious and wondering where my career is heading. I am actually excited to be facing a possible promotion, but with the odd and long hours plus some other stresses going on, I'm burning the candle at both ends. Blessings to you. That was a brave thing you did. Good for you.

23. Mamelody profile image61
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

I did that three years ago and glad I did. There's nothing worse than working in a job you hate.. Congrats girl and goos luck in your new en-devours smile

24. profile image0
    philip carey 61posted 14 years ago

I applaud your courage. They say that, at the end of our lives, it's those things we did not do that we most regret.

25. ThoughtfulSpot profile image69
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Taking that step is oh-so-scary.  It sounds like you've made a very brave new begininning.  And, I know its just a forum post, but you "sound" happy.  That's the key.  New ventures are always frightening.  I think some primal part of us craves security and "sameness" but if you are commited and excited, then you are headed in the right direction.  Best of luck to you in your new career!

26. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

I think you did the right thing as long as you feel happy then its ok! Keep on GIRL!

27. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

If you never try, you never know. You should do whatever makes you happy! Good luck and all the best with your new direction. smile

28. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

quoting Megs
    "Now I'm not sure if my new adventure is going to be successful, but I'm taking the plunge.  Actually I already did take the plunge...  Am I crazy or what?"

Not for a moment.
    Your attitude proves you're still healthy enough to try to master your destiny.
    I've done the same at the age of 32.
    Steer well, friend.

29. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

I was fired from a job that I had for over 15 years. I was both relieved and sad at the same time. I would never wish to have that same job again, but, I do miss the people I used to work with. I still have nightmares about the work.

The business I worked for is well known, and, I can tell you that the last 5 years were hell on earth. like working for Natzis. I would never recommend that anyone work there, no matter how the benefits are.

which job was it?  maybe you should tell us so we don't fall into the same hell...

30. Rik Ravado profile image85
    Rik Ravadoposted 14 years ago

I think it is really important to follow your heart sometimes and do what feels right.  If you never 'step out in faith' you'll have a very boring, unforfilled life.  Also by stepping out and taking risks , even if it doesn't work out you can learn from the experience.  Go for it and good luck!

31. alexandriaruthk profile image68
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

Follow your heart thats it, I agree with Rik Ravado. I wish you well and hope you are happier now!

32. megs78 profile image61

Well, I finished work today.  I had given my two weeks notice but my boss told me that I had the choice to do the two weeks or quit today as february is a slow month and I would not be leaving them in a mess.  So i chose to finish today.  and though it was hard to say goodbye to everyone, I left on good terms and will cherish the experience.

Now for the hard part.  Now I start to plan and try to keep from panicking.  OMG, what have I done???

Just kidding, I feel great.  I can't wait to get started.  Thanks everyone for your well wishes and encouragement, it really gave me a feeling of well-being and strength.  Merci beaucoup a tout le monde de Hubpages! smile

1. Flightkeeper profile image65
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your new journey begins with a small step. [That's so awfully trite but it was the first thing that popped in my head.]

Good Luck!

1. liswilliams profile image40
        liswilliamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds awesome! well done
        was speaking to my friend today about not looking forward to going back to work, telling him all about blogs and hubpages, I think I can do it If i'm a bit more patient

33. Dao Hoa profile image61
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

Megs78, I like your plan. It sound great and I know it will work out for you. There are many families that both parents are working, which mean they will need your service. Good luck!

34. profile image50
    nikki30posted 13 years ago

hey there i quit my job today as well

35. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Good for you!  Go for it!

36. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Nothing better than a career change!

Good luck smile

37. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

When I got my first job I was truly elated; but when I quitted a job I was unhappy with, I was ecstatic. Good luck. You must be true to yourself.

38. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

Well done, sounds like you have lots on your plate anyway. Hope the new venture is going well. ):

39. wildorangeflower profile image60
    wildorangeflowerposted 13 years ago

good luck to you!

40. megs78 profile image61
    megs78posted 13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the encouragement you are offering me, it is very helpful.  Well, we are almost at the date of my grand opening and I am feeling a little bit stressed.  The renovations are still not done, but everything is halfway done (the worst state to be in).  My clients come for an open house on the 22nd of August and voila!  my business starts directly after.  I will keep you all updated if you are interested smile  take care all

1. MPG Narratives profile image60
      MPG Narrativesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Even more good luck then.

2. liljen23 profile image75
      liljen23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Megs, that should be a good day for you.. It will be my birthday.. smile smile

41. profile image49
    Joyiuposted 13 years ago

I also want to .beacuse i don't like this job.
    this is that webset!
    http://www.theweddingstyle.com/

42. megs78 profile image61

Hey all, just an update!  I started my business last week, and it went well.  I think this is going to work in the long term and that makes me really happy! anyway I will post if anyone is interested in the progress!

43. megs78 profile image61

oh yeah, I had originallly started with 3 registrations, but now have jumped to 13.  yay!

44. megs78 profile image61

well, things are going well with the business to date.  I am actually getting more registrations than I thought, and am enjoying it more than I thought too.  I think I may have tapped into one of the best businesses ever! smile  This really is great!

45. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Megs, great! What is your business about? smile

megs78posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Misha!  Well, my business is possible because I am an Anglophone in a Francophone society.  What I have is a lunch-time daycare where school kids come to my home for lunch for an hour and learn english.  I speak only english and it is like an english immersion program that is very hard to find in this area.  I serve lunch daily to between 10-12 children, speak english and play games in english and parents pay 12 per child per day.  The hope is that these children will be close to bilingual by the time they start highschool.  So far it has been going very well and I have very attentive children. 

Thats it in a nutshell, and though preparing meals can be tiring, I am only with the children for one hour each day and it permits me to be home for my children as well.  I am loving it smile

46. megs78 profile image61

well, as i said before, I would keep u all updated on the progress of my new business.  If you are not interested, sorry to bore you smile 

I just did my monthly revenue/expense report and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  My very first month of business earned me 1500 dollars revenue with an expense report that was a little high because of startup, equipment, advertising etc, but that also included the expenses of june, july and august.  The fact that I am still not at capacity but am making decent money is exciting.  I aim at pulling in 4000 per month by the end of novemer.  and though it is not enough yet to raise three kids and keep a house, its a nice little addition to the main income.  keeping my fingers crossed.

47. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I was scared when I quit my job about a year ago, I had it for about ten years.  I had come to the point where I was burned out. I did not feel I needed to be there anymore, for my own sanity. We are not rolling in money, but I have a peace about it.

I really enjoy my freedom and now have the time to pursue, anything I want.

I really hope it works out for you as well. Good Luck

48. Sunny Robinson profile image69
    Sunny Robinsonposted 13 years ago

Oh megs, I'm so impressed with you.  I wish I had seen this forum post before.  Thank you so much for updating it so we can revisit this! Or in my case, be able to visit it for the first time.

That's what my website is all about.  Going on a path in life that totally suits you and redefining what success truly means.  Basically, what earnestshubs wrote in this thread means A LOT to me.  Success is in achieving what most matters to you, not in what other thinks should matter to you.

And for the great men comments, I so give it up for my fiance because he is fantastic about all this.  Also, what money I'm making online is going into funding a start-up for his own business.  He works at a job he likes doing, but not in a situation he really enjoys.  He is more of a rebel and he has a lot of frustrating, creative ideas about what to do with metal himself.

So, it's a process.  He needs out of the rat race, but not without taking care of the mortgage, home equity loan, our 4 kids, and our animals.  But that leap being mentioned here is so inspiring.  Thanks, y'all, and especially Megs! smile

Glad you find this post interesting and thanks for your comments.  We do work harder when we are self employed, but if we have the drive, its a pleasure, not a chore. of course, sometimes its important to wait till the right moment to take the plunge.  mortgages and children can sometimes influence our decisions and being prudent is a valuable personality trait.  but so far, im feeling good about this endeavor so thanks to you Sunny, and to all who are commenting and keeping up my motivation!

megs smile

49. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

In this job market, most people would have to be really unhappy with their job/workplace/career path/stress to quit.

That's a brave thing to do.

I wasn't so unhappy with my job, it was that my job couldn't afford me the freedom to take care of my kids properly.  So I came up with a business model that would allow me to be with my kids when they needed me and not have to feel guilty about leaving my kids with gramma when they were sick. It was really a life style choice because even though Ihave more liberty, I work doubly hard and take more risks.

50. SubmissionWork profile image40
    SubmissionWorkposted 13 years ago

In my opinion instead of quit you should take a break may be for 3 months or 6 months and than think about your life ...

I mean by quitting you close the chapter. May be I always play safe but ...

I also quitted my job but only after I am sure that path which I am taking is right and have long term benefit.

Any way ... Best of luck. I wish you will get all the success in every work.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)