The decline of HP

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 4 months ago

This is no longer a writing site for writers. It is an advertising site. Congrats HP! You've turned a vibrant venue for writers interacting and encouraging each other and turned it into a cheap billboard on the worldwide cyber highway.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 4 months agoin reply to this

To blunt that edge a little, maybe that's the only practical choice.

It's just a thought. I haven't roamed in a while, but no other reputable writer's sites come to mind. The Net was already changing rapidly, and now with free AI  article generators  . . .

GA

1. Ken Burgess profile image76
        Ken Burgessposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Agreed, the real change came with the sell to Maven.

The real end will come in a year or so, after AI replaces human generated content like this, whatever niche this still fills.

I was reviewing how to generate videos the other day and... the stuff available right now... for free... is jaw dropping.

I'm not joking... we are talking better generation than what Hollywood could do just a couple years ago.  If interested in what I am talking about, these video gives a good round about review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYUt4WE4Mrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzbuYus8bH4

I'm not a computer geek, but... I've been around the edges all my life, from when they were programmed with Cobol and Fortran and they ran in pristine dust free server rooms, to MSDOS, to hacking in to "debug" or "mod" games for my kids today.

The leap they have made with AI generated content in the last 12 months... blows my mind... huge production value with very little work all things considered.

1. GA Anderson profile image88
          GA Andersonposted 4 months agoin reply to this

I was also interested in the beginnings of AI. But that's another discussion.

I think I understand Kathleen's point. A dozen years ago when HP started steadily growing, good content and good writers weren't so easy to find. There were (and of course, are) good writers, not just content writers, here and HP appreciated them and tried to maintain HP as a writer's site and not just a 'content farm' (we all remember the years when Google disagreed).

Year by year the Net has made both less necessary. HP's gotta pay the bills too. Maven was the logical next step.

GA

2. Miebakagh57 profile image70
        Miebakagh57posted 4 months agoin reply to this

Welcome back GA. While you're away, its terrific with AI threads in the forum.                                        But ads daily add pains to our stories online.                                   And thank heavens AI has work it's havock on TAG some days ago, and the fireing and replacement of its director occured.

2. Nathanville profile image91
      Nathanvilleposted 4 months agoin reply to this

Yep, absolutely; we no longer have the comments section at the end of articles for example - which I do miss.

But, notwithstanding that - my earnings from HP has remained constant; it still pays for Christmas.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image70
      Miebakagh57posted 4 months agoin reply to this

I pity HubPages, for falling into such a state.

4. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 4 months agoin reply to this

"This is no longer a writing site for writers. It is an advertising site."

That says a lot and is a good observation alluding to 'History' with the topic - HubPages. Then it gets complex for the:

Who
      What
      Where
      When
      Why

and,

How much

So, I ask, what is the thesis statement to answer those?

Possibly, the rise and fall of a civilization within an ever changing world.

From the National Geographic; "There are many reasons for this, but many historians point to three patterns in the fall of civilizations: internal change, external pressure, and environmental collapse. The fall of civilizations is never the result of a single event or pattern."

I know, I know . . . a somewhat facetious view undertaken, but still food for thought.

That's pretty broad and very nondescript.

Internal change... from democratic to tyrannical?

External pressure... from hostile army or migrating peoples?

Environmental... volcano eruption or drought?

How severe do the changes need to be?

I suppose this is the motivation for Globalization and International rule, at the expense of Nations.  If there are no Nations, then there will be no warring against one another.

But as humans are tribal, I think this is going to be hard to pull off, I believe the only way China is going to go along is if it is the Major-Domo the Nation in a nationless world sitting at the head of the table dictating to others. 

I don't think it was ever going to work, unless one nation was so overwhelmingly more powerful than the rest could force the world to accept it.

America was that nation for about 50+ years... and the reasons why we are seeing all the turmoil in the world today, is that we allowed nations like China to build themselves up to be peers.

And now that China, and to a lesser degree Russia, is on peer status, they have no interest in following America's wants or opening their borders and releasing their National Sovereignty to an International body that can tell them what to do.

1. tsmog profile image85
          tsmogposted 4 months agoin reply to this

And, of HubPages, what say you?

AI will have made HP obsolete within 12 - 24 months.

Partly because it will be generating all the content and partly because search engines will get to the point where it is never directing ANY traffic to HP content.

The only people who will be visiting these sites are folks like you and me who already know about it and care to visit it.

Grass roots - self generated links from other sites we create, or Twitter, etc.  but search engines will actively avoid it... while at the same time AI generated answers will make people stop searching for articles.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)