Experiences of data entry scams!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image58
    Rajesh S.posted 15 years ago

It is said that 95-98% of home business are fraud? Can any one share his/her experience with such fraud web sites? I will soon be coming out with my own experience. Is it not possible to wipe out 'fraud' home business so that Genuine Home Business can blossom?

1. Bonnie Ramsey profile image68
      Bonnie Ramseyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it isn't the home businesses that are 98% scams. It is the work from home "jobs" that are 98% scams. This is not to say that there aren't home business scams because there are. The important thing is to learn the difference between work at home "jobs" and a home based business. Then when you find something you are interested in, learn what to look for and what to avoid when researching these opportunities. If you know how to determine the difference in these opportunities and then do your research on the company, you are less likely to fall victim to a scam. If you need help learning how to do this, feel free to contact me and I will be glad to give you some tips on how to research them.

As far as wiping out the fraud, when you consider the number of fraudulent scams out there today, I don't think there would be enough people to monitor them all and that is what it would take to completely wipe them out. The best we can do is to educate ourselves on how to recognize these scams and if we do fall victim, report them to the authorities for investigation.

Bonnie

PS: Data entry falls under the "job" catagory and isn't a home based business.

2. sukkran profile image61
      sukkranposted 15 years agoin reply to this

i don't agree with you, it should be 99%. sharing views is a good idea. why don't you make a hub about these so called fraud home businesses?
      sukkran

2. Eric Graudins profile image61
    Eric Graudinsposted 15 years ago

I haven't been caught with any scams, but here's some common ones to watch out for.
    Have a look at Audrey Langford's "Scambusters" site.
    http://www.scambusters.org/work-at-home.htm

1. sukkran profile image61

thanks for your useful information. i will check it out.
      sukkran

2. profile image51
      johnvarendaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi...
      Yes, you are correct,i too experience the same with this site..

data entry india

3. Project Mobius profile image60
    Project Mobiusposted 15 years ago

the link doesn't work for some reason

Anyway, I don't think you can filter out every single scam. Much like you can never completely wipe out pirated movies from selling. As long as there's money to be made, people will find ways to scam others. Specially those looking for easy money.

1. jyuva profile image58
      jyuvaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

In todays world everybody is looking for easy money. big_smile
      These scams will be coming up big_smile

4. Rangerwife profile image61
    Rangerwifeposted 15 years ago

Well I got caught in a scam, but it was actually through craigslist.  I applied for an accounting from home position.  Basically it was the Nigerian Scam.  They taught me how to create real checks linking to some college's account.  I was to create the checks and send them out.  They went wrong in telling me they were payroll checks and yet they were all even numbers like $5,000.  Basically I was to send it out and the person was to cash it and send some of it back to my employer before the bank would find out it was fraud and try to reclaim all the money back.  Anyway, I went to my bank to find out if these checks were real.  They told me that they were, but that there was an alert on that account for fraud.  I went to the police and the FBI.  I filed reports, gave them all kinds of contact info and details, but they didn't seem too interested.  Anyway, I told the guy that hired me that I knew it was fraud and wouldn't send the checks out.  He offered to give me a lot of money up fronts, but of course I wasn't going to take it.  Besides the fact that it's so wrong, I wouldn't take that risk.  Anyway, those Nigerian are getting smart hiring Americans through craigslist.

1. sukkran profile image61

thanks for sharing your experience with others. it is not only lesson for you, others too.
      sukkran

5. profile image58

offlinetypistjobs.com is fake. I got cheated by them. They claim to give free offline data entry jobs. They make you post ads and simply don't pay. Though they don't take money from you, the time spent for them is wasted.

6. profile image58

www.partimejob4all.com is Fake. Please stay away from them.

7. tommen profile image83
    tommenposted 15 years ago

I wrote an article on my blog about "data entry job scams".If you have to pay in advance to have the "privilege" of working for someone, then you can be quite sure it is a scam.

Would a chef in a restaurant buy all the plates, cooking equipment, silver ware...  on his own expense.... just so he could do his work?

8. profile image58
    Rajesh S.posted 14 years ago

Does any one know about PDF to DOC conversion? Is there any one who would want to get PDF to DOC conversion done by others as claimed by work from home web sites?

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Rajesh--

That's usually the other way around--as far as I know it. 

Large companies want to convert Docs (like Word docs, graphics program docs or hard copy paper docs) into PDF's (Portable Document Format--meaning just that...it transfers digitally better and stores better).

Some uses are for large banks or insurance companies (all the paper files must be digitized--that means scanning), or ad agencies/designers transferring completed designs to publications (done so that all fonts and graphics stabilize, basically.)

1. profile image58
        Rajesh S.posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You mean to say that all the PDF to DOC work from homes are scams?

1. soni2006 profile image75
          soni2006posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree that these companies are scam because I have paid two or three times to these types of companies for registration and when I submitted my work, they rejected the work saying there are a lot of errors in it and you are not qualified for payment. They never returned the registration fee as they say that the fee is nonrefundable.

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I usually put the name of the author or the business name followed by the word "scam" "Fraud" or "hype" in a Google search. Try to think of other similar words to use depending on the offer. This works a lot of the time.

10. soni2006 profile image75
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

Yes it works for me too and I also put the website link without http://www in google search with the words scam, fraud, etc. for checking out if they are legitimate or not..

11. profile image52
    dorita234posted 14 years ago

yes, i agree with your ideas
    Data Entry

12. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

It's simple, if a company really wants you to work for them, they aren't going to charge you money to give you that privilege.  Most data entry jobs are scams, however, there are legitimate data entry jobs out there.  There are people telecommuting doing this...my wife was one of them.  But she worked in the actual office for a little while and they let her work from home after they go to know her and trust her.

I've worked jobs from home too that weren't scams.  I've done a ton of sales for various software companies from home.  There are legitimate ones out there.  If the company is coy with any questions you have or won't answer you directly, then hang up the phone.  If their business model is clear and it makes sense to you, then it's worth looking into.

Many companies are offering telecommuting jobs because it cuts overhead and employment costs.  You can go to my blog http://sales-jobs-rep.blogspot.com if you are interested in independent sales rep jobs directly from the company.  I've reviewed a couple of companies out there with legit work from home jobs.  And it's the actual company, not a middleman trying to sell a directory or something like that.  Don't be fooled, it's hard work, but it's doable and viable.  And according to the US Gov't, independent sales jobs are one of the fastest growing in the world.

13. profile image57
    Rosa Bergerposted 14 years ago

I think the most important thing to remember is "Do not pay for getting a job!" That includes materials, training fees, or whatever names these websites give it. If a company wants to hire you, they want you to contact, ask for some biographical information, and establish a relationship with a real person - for no money at all.

14. efeguy profile image39
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

getting online fraud out will only be possible if the level of unemployment and poverty is properly address all over the world.though have not been scam,because am always careful about those get rich quick scheme online.so be careful when you see then.

you can see http://hubpages.com/hub/fraudxpose and get some tips on online fraud.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)