jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)

ebooks and hubs

1. catgypsy profile image81
    catgypsyposted 5 years ago

I have asked this question before and got two conflicting answers. Can you use the hubs you've written and turn them into an ebook without violating the rules? I would really appreciate it if someone "official" from HubPages would give me a definite answer.
    Thanks so much,
    Catgypsy

1. Dale Hyde profile image85
      Dale Hydeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You raise an interesting question here. It will be good to see how staff answers this one for sure.  I can see some options going the other way with this as I have some published ebooks. smile

catgypsyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I sure hope someone from the staff answers this!

2. WryLilt profile image92
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

Since 'duplicate content' is classed as anything that is multiply cached by Google, I would not see any reason you could not use your hubs in an eBook.

3. naeemebrahimjee profile image74
    naeemebrahimjeeposted 5 years ago

This should not be a problem. Ebooks are not webpages. Therefore they are not scanned by Google Bots / Search engine Bots.

You cannot be seen to be breaking the rules as the Ebook copy cannot be found by current searching methods!

In all honesty i don't think it's a problem, but your right: it's best to wait for an official answer from the Hub Page Staff....

4. catgypsy profile image81
    catgypsyposted 5 years ago

Thank you so much, both of you, for the answers. I just hope to get an "official" yes or no from the staff!

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

The official yes or no depends entirely on whether you do it in a way that breaks the rule or not. So long as the ebook content cannot be found by search engines, it complies with the rules.

That seems to be the tricky part! Thanks for your answer.

6. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 5 years ago

Ebooks cannot be read on the web if they are downloadable. On the other hand, if you've published the entire ebook on the web so that it can be read, then it will be duplicate content.

Thanks everyone for you answers!

7. AlanRimmer profile image69
    AlanRimmerposted 5 years ago

I have written and published an e-book for Kindle based on the content of one of my hubs. I have not had any adverse reaction since it went live last month. However, the e-book expanded on the content in the hub and the writing style and format are slightly different to cater for the Kindle market. I too look forward to a reply from HubPages as I am considering another.

8. Dale Hyde profile image85
    Dale Hydeposted 5 years ago

Popping in looking to see if we have had a HP response yet.... I see not.... so I will check back later.

I'm going to send an email to them and see if that works!

Hi! I emailed the staff and this was their answer:

"Authors retain the copyright for any of their original material published to HubPages.

The only caveat related to publishing an ebook is that if it is accessible online, it may cause your Hub to be flagged as duplicate.
        A physical book would be less likely to have these potential issues."

Still a little unsure about whether it's ok or not, but maybe one of you can decipher the answer!

1. AlanRimmer profile image69
          AlanRimmerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I read it like this:
          Your Hubpages content, as long as it is original, is owned by you and you are at liberty to do with it as you please.

However, if you publish your Hubpages content in an e-book so that the content of the e-book can be read live online via a web browser (i.e. as web pages) then this may cause the duplicate content flags to be raised as this can be crawled by search engine robots.

But, if you publish it in a downloadable file format, such as PDF, or one of the e-reader formats so that it is, as such, self-contained and read via an offline application such as Adobe Reader or Kindle etc. then this would not be a problem. I think this is what they mean by a "physical book".

I hope this helps.

Thanks Alan, that clears it up a little! Thanks for the information.

working