jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

Still harping about spammers!

1. Cardisa profile image92
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

Logging in this morning I saw a forum post in my feed and decided to check it out. The hubber making the post joined and withing a few minutes entered the forums. There was one response and the reply was a personal attack.

I hope that made sense.

I am asking why is HP afraid to make some serious rules about posting im the forums. If people are serious about writing and making money they will wait a day or two to use the forum. If they are serious about making money their primary goal will be to write hubs. Why not make it a rule to have these people post hubs that need to be approved before entering the forums. Or come up with your own solution. You team is good at making rules. You do it all the time!

I know I am going to get a lot of backlash for this but wouldn't it be better to lose the spammers than people who are already making money for the site?

All I am saying is that if you don't do something about these sock pockets or whatever they are called you are going to lose a lot of good writers.

1. gmwilliams profile image82
      gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

What you have elucidated Cardisa is true.  The sole purpose of forums are just to state and argue ideas.   If one wants to advertise, do it on another space- create one's own blog.   If one wants to write a story, simply hub it for the widest audience.    Forums are for discussion and discourses only.   BTW, good morning to you, Cardisa and have a pleasant day!

Cardisaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good morning to you as well Gm Williams!

I see forums on the net that are more closely monitored. I don't think HP will lose members if they set some rules for the forums. I think the real writers of the community will appreciate it.

1. gmwilliams profile image82
          gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I, for one, certainly would!

2. rebekahELLE profile image89
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

I think with the recent sockpuppet threads, it's the same person.  I don't waste my time opening those threads anymore, they usually get reported after someone is obviously trolling the forums.

As far as HP implementing more stringent rules about posting, that's probably not going to happen.  It's an open, public forum.  One of the problems with those threads is that people keep responding.

The thread seems like a legit thing. It was about food, that's why I ventured there....lol

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I think the forums would benefit from having an active moderator, so these thing get dealt with within hours, not sometimes days later.  The rules wouldn't have to change, just get applied more rapidly.

You are right. Maybe these moderators will monitor only the forums and they will be alerted when a new member opens a thread.

4. relache profile image84
    relacheposted 5 years ago

The forums have moderators and rules.  But problem threads and posts need to be reported (that's how the system here was designed to work), however most people overlook that reality. 

When things get reported, they get dealt with.  I've reported threads/posts, included a note about exactly what the problem was instead of just checking off a box and seen a response in minutes.  For anyone who's never read the forum rules, they are linked in a grey box that appears to the left of the text box when you go to make a post.  Here's the direct link, http://hubpages.com/help/forum_rules

When you see spam, personal attacks and other situations that match the scenarios and behaviors described as rule-breakers, use the report button.

I did that this morning. Thanks Relache smile

5. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I make the reports.  But it has sometimes been 2 days before they were actioned.

working