FIXED: Some videos in Hubs not viewable when not logged in

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Thomas Swan profile image95
    Thomas Swanposted 11 years ago

I am absolutely distraught. Some of my best hubs contain youtube videos. I have found that anyone logged into hubpages can see my videos without any problem. Today my Dad happened to be looking at my hubs and said "there are no videos here". Stunned, I went onto hubpages and logged out of my account to see what the pages look like to everyone else. Incredibly, the videos are gone when I log out!  I've been completely unaware of this, and I'm very annoyed at hubpages for not making it clear this would happen.

I just checked and they only disappear for my "Top 10" football hubs where I put a youtube video for each entry in the top 10 (so 10 videos). In hubs with only 1 video, that video appears fine. Is there a limit on the number of youtube videos you can use, and if so, why wasn't I told?!?!?!

1. Nesbyte profile image77
      Nesbyteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What the hell...I just checked one of my hubs with 5 videos in it. They're all missing. Needless to say, I'm not happy. I've got no idea why this is happening, but I can only assume it's a bug. Hopefully it'll get fixed sharpish.

Thomas Swanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep, you seem to have the same problem. I logged out and went to your "The Killers" hub, and all the videos that had been there were gone, so no-one other than hubpages users can see them.

So we've established the maximum embedded videos is somewhere between 1 and 4.

I don't think this is a bug because my recipe hub with 1 video in (Tuna and Avocado Wraps) works fine when I log out. It seems that someone on hubpages has set an arbitrary limit on the number of videos you can use, and not told anyone (as far as I know).

Although I'm not sure why hubpages users can see 5 or 10 videos, but no-one else can.

I'm inclined to think it's some sort of bug for 2 reasons. Firstly, I've never read anything from HP about there being a limit to the number of videos. It seems like something they'd tell us, especially when we tried to put 5 or more videos in a hub. Secondly, I've seen hubs in the past with up to 10 videos. No problems there.

Were you not logged in when you saw those hubs? I can see the 5 videos in your hub if I'm logged in.

Yeah, they're there if I'm logged in. Otherwise, nope.

2. Nesbyte profile image77

Any word from Hubpages yet? I've got a hub with a bunch of YouTube videos in it that I'd like to publish, but there's no point until this issue is fixed.

Had nothing to my email 15 hours ago, and presumably nothing for Polly's email 30 hours ago either. Getting really worried now. Just some acknowledgement that they're working on it would be nice.

My traffic is starting to drop too, I hope it's not related, but I fear it is because the important factor: "time spent on the webpage" will be dropping through the floor for my best hubs.

1. Polly C profile image91
          Polly Cposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't have a reply yet. I too would like some acknowledgement of the issue. I thought that this forum was supposed to be staff moderated as well, and as you say it has been quite some time now.

I just got a reply from hubpages staff to say that their engineers are looking at the problem. So fingers crossed it will be fixed soon!

3. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for everyone bringing this to our attention.
      This issue has been sent to our engineering team to be addressed.

4. Nesbyte profile image77

Looks like this issue might have been sorted. I just published a hub with 11 videos and they all appear to be there.

Yep, looks fixed to me! Horray!

5. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just confirmed that this appears to be working again.

2. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 11 years ago

Just checked and I'm having the same problem.  Expect it's just a bug.

I hope so, and I hope it's a temporary one too. About 80% of my views come into the affected hubs..!

Yes, I don't have very many hubs with youtube videos, but the ones that I do are some of my highest traffic hubs!

Actually some of my hubs with only 1 video on have the video missing when I'm logged out of hubpages, so it seems like it's a bug rather than a limit on how many videos we can have.

Any hubpages staff looking into this?

3. Thomas Swan profile image95
    Thomas Swanposted 11 years ago

Also it seems my recipe hub is the only one not affected. This could be because it's a different format to the other hubs (different capsules).

Hi Thomas, I emailed the staff this morning so will just await their reply since the issue hasn't been fixed.  I expect it has affected far more hubbers than just us three on this thread, they are probably just unaware.

Thanks Polly! I was thinking the same thing too; it's not something most people will be aware of.

I just randomly checked some hubs in the entertainment category. They were described as music hubs with videos, but no videos are showing so I guess they have the same problem. My hubs look worse because I tend to put titles on the video capsules, so you can now see the title without the video. It's very tacky and confusing for readers. Still, I'm sure it will be sorted soon.

4. jamesdurk94 profile image68
    jamesdurk94posted 11 years ago

i have around four hubs with videos in and 3 are affected by this

1. nightnight profile image63
      nightnightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same problem hereā€¦. hmm

5. chasmac profile image90
    chasmacposted 11 years ago

Thomas - Please thank your dad for the heads up from the Hub community. This is a big problem. Most of mine have gone, and my hubs depend on the video being there to make sense. Only the youtube ones seem affected (most but not all of them for some reason). The Hubpages video hubs seem fine.
    As I don't know how long this will continue, I've started editing the affected hubs by supplying the Youtube link along  with this notice:

IMPORTANT
    Due to a temporary technical issue on HubPages, the video below may not be visible. If you can't see the video, click the link below to see it on Youtube.

Video link

This must be affecting thousands of hubs. There will be thousands of people going to hubpages and thinking the articles are substandard because they refer to videos that aren't there.

I'm surprised there is nothing from the staff. All the tweaking should be put to one side to make this a priority. Polly have you heard back yet?

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Are you sure it's not a browser issue?  I had trouble on Mac when Safari made some changes a while back & had to tweak things (can't remember what just now).  I viewed some videos on my hubs just a while ago today. 

Hope the problem has been resolved for you - with all the updates & changes here, it is indeed stressful.

Definitely not a browser issue (tried IE and Chrome). Is your video a youtube video? If yes, did you log out before viewing the hub with the video? For some reason the youtube videos show up when we're logged into hubpages. When we're not logged in (like any visitor to hubpages who's found your hub in google), the videos are simply not there. The hub comes up minus the vids.

It seems that the only people who can see youtube videos on hubs are people signed into hubpages.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah - I see what you're saying. I haven't tried that route. You're right, that is a different matter.  Has it been reported to Tech Support?

Not sure where tech support is on hubpages, but I just jetted off an email through the "contact us" link. TBH, I was expecting staff to read this forum thread, but it's been 2 days now, so emails away!

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
            Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Thomas - That should get to them - and thanks for pointing it out to everyone.  Most of us are logged in when we are here, and that could have gone for a while without being picked up.

2. livewithrichard profile image74
      livewithrichardposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I noticed the problem today too when I logged out. At the time I was on Firefox and there were no videos on the few hubs I checked.  Then I switched over to IE and the videos were all there so back to Firefox and they were gone. 

Are others having the problem with Firefox or another browser?

I've checked with Chrome and Opera. Looks like a Hubpages problem rather than the browser.

7. Polly C profile image91

I emailed the team yesterday morning but no reply as yet.  I have checked my hubs using firefox, ie and chrome and all are affected for me.

8. blogarpit profile image58
    blogarpitposted 11 years ago

same with me.

9. Polly C profile image91

Thank you Matthew, and thanks to Thomas and his Dad for noticing it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)