jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Translator For Hubs

1. NateB11 profile image93
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

I notice I get some traffic from other countries, I'm always a little curious how many of those visitors can read English. So, I started thinking about the possibility of Hubs having a translator; something like what Blogger has; on Blogger you have the option of putting a translator on your blog, so that a visitor can have the blog translated into whatever language they want. Curious if this is possible, and how difficult or not difficult it would be to implement. Thanks.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Google analytics reports a fair number of views to "translate", which I have assumed is a translator (supplied by google?).

NateB11posted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting. So, you're saying that it indicates people are already translating hubs? That would be good. It would good to have them available to people wherever they are or whatever language they read.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's the way I read it anyway - that my hubs are being translated by something and that analytics can pick that up and report it as such.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 4 years ago

I have a toolbar on my browser that allows me to translate any web page that is in a foreign language (to me) with a click.  This is something that is widely available already and not a feature HubPages needs to add or build.

That's good to know. It's likely many people visiting a hub could be translating it on their own. I wasn't aware of that.

3. wjack2010 profile image61
    wjack2010posted 4 years ago

Whilst some do translate it on their own, the majority don't.

Usually, people reading articles aren't of high-technical intelligence, so, they might not know about the different available translators, therefore, having a small translator on a Hub wouldn't cause much harm.

I agree with this idea! smile

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't know about having my own translator, and I don't have one. I'm not very tech savvy. It would be good to have Hubs available to a wider audience. That was my thinking too; that some wouldn't be able to read the Hubs, so it would be good to give them the opportunity with a handy translator.

4. Greekgeek profile image96
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

It depends on the web browser they're using, too. Many modern web browsers put a little note across the top offering to translate if you go to a foreign language page. Of course, we have to hope our visitors in other countries have browsers that do that! But I bet they do, by and large, because so much of the web is in English that they are more likely to need translations on a regular basis than we are.

For what it's worth, I've seen visitors coming to my pages via translation tools, often Google translate, since 2007. it's fun to see the cache of my articles in different languages and alphabets.

That's extremely rare, however. Think about it: when is the last time you searched for something in Google and were given a non-English result? Search engines almost always send people to websites in their native language and never point to pages in other languages. Almost the only way we ever land on a non-English page is by following a link someone's shared with us. So it's extremely unusual to get non-English traffic on our Hubs.

working