Traffic and ads

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (22 posts)
  1. SarahLynnB profile image61
    SarahLynnBposted 11 years ago

My traffic has been just okay, it usually jumps after I edit my hubs, then falls back down. Well, I deleted all of my ads, and traffic is climbing significantly. I feel like this is a lose/lose situation. If I have ads, my hubs are hard to find, and if I don't they are easy to find. I get that Google does not like "spammy" content. How many ads should you have per hub? Any suggestions?

1. That Grrl profile image73
      That Grrlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting. I'm a bit obsessive about adding Amazon links. I search hard for every last great book I can find on my topic and add them in. I've had to expand my text a few times in order to accommodate all the Amazon links I found. Or, I try to eliminate a few to stay within the 10 links.

It never occurred to me that having the extra ad links could be making a difference with traffic. I hope someone else reads this and gives more information.

I could understand people might come to your post and not read once they see the amount of ads. But... they would have to already be on your post then. So they would still be counted as traffic.

SarahLynnBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I have heard, not sure if it is true, if you have too many ads google bumps you down. So hopefully someone else can help on this topic

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not true.   If you have too many ads above the fold (i.e. at or near the top of your page) that's a problem. 

It is possible to overdo ads in the body of your Hub, but HubPages already sets limits on how many eBay and Amazon capsules you can use.  Stay within those limits and you'll be fine.

Well then do you have any idea why after removing all my ads, traffic jumped a great deal?

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

It could easily have been coincidence.  Traffic is not a steady thing!

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When you say you deleted your ads, which ads do you mean? All the adsense ads?

All of my amazon ads

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

Traffic has increased sitewide, so it may not be due to the changes that you made.

I think the number of ads have to do with the type of article it is.  If I am reading a how-to ad, I am going to be mad if I see ads for stuff that I don't need to do that thing.  If I am reading a hub about "best gifts for" than ads are just fine, because I am in a buying mood.

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 11 years ago

I know it took me a time to realize that some of the increase in the stats. count will be your own visits to edit the pages. Some people here are saying that they are seeing an increase in traffic to their pages recently, as MT said.

I have read not to put ads above the fold, how can you determine where to place your ads? At the end only?

1. psycheskinner profile image83

That is a misunderstanding.  Your site need to have substantial real content above the fold.  If it does, you can put ads there too.  It's where they earn the best.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

As psycheskinner says, it's OK to have some ads above the fold - you just need to make sure you've got a reasonable amount of content there, too.  On HubPages, there's already quite a bit of advertising above the fold (log out and look at your Hub to see what I mean), so you probably don't want an ad in your first paragraph.

"Above the fold" means what you can see without having to scroll down. So as soon as you start scrolling down, you can start placing ads.  The best place for an Amazon ad is right next to, or directly below, the text it's relevant to.  Ads at the very end of the Hub are a newbie mistake - they never work.

1. janshares profile image94
          jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that tip, Marisa. No wonder my ebay and amazon earnings are zero.

4. tlpoague profile image82
    tlpoagueposted 11 years ago

I was a bit frusterated when editing my hub and an ad popped up, then slid down the page, covering  the text I was viewing. I find these types of ads annoying and will avoid pages with them if I can. I am still trying to figure out most of the changes here while I was gone. One of them being the ads. How do you keep an ad from your first paragraph?

1. psycheskinner profile image83

As far as I know Hubpages has no popup ads.  You might have malware on your computer? If not you should report the ad to Hubstaff as they will get rid of it.

1. tlpoague profile image82
        tlpoagueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks I will have my hubby help me look into it. He is my comp tech since I have no clue about some of this stuff.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

If you see an ad like that report it to team @ HubPages.   They don't allow that kind of ad, but sometimes one slips through - they will take action if you report it.

If you don't want an ad appearing next to your first paragraph, make your first paragraph short (one or two lines), or put a photo or video capsule in the top right hand corner.

5. posts profile image69
    postsposted 11 years ago

To give a clear and to the point information to visitors in what they are searching or for delivering great user experience, google is discouraging massive use of ads above the fold. So, I suggest you that, while creating a hub, in text module which will be displayed above the fold, use at least 250-300 words. This will not only make your content primary but it will be easy for hubpages to place a large rectangle ad which is ok for Google.

6. sleepylog profile image62
    sleepylogposted 11 years ago

I'm just starting to post hubs and don't understand all the terminology so please forgive my ignorance when I ask what ' the fold ' is?

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The fold is the part of the screen you see when you first open the page without scrolling down.

1. sleepylog profile image62
        sleepylogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah ok. Thank you so  much for taking the time to explain it to me smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)