What is the best Christmas gift to give to non-christians

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (39 posts)
  1. tandaa profile image60
    tandaaposted 11 years ago

Does anyone know any person; a friend, neighbor, sibling, acquaintance, work mate e.t.c who is not a Christian? In the light of the Christmas mood and spirit, what gift do you think is best to share with such a person?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Anything that is not a religious icon or other item.

No crosses, no bibles, no Jesus statues, etc.  Anything else is fine.

Or, if the friend is, say, Jewish, you might pick an icon from their religion.  A menorah, perhaps?

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer.  Food is always good.  Stay away from decorating with a Christian theme. 

Find out what types of things move the specific person you're gifting.  If they are an advocate for a cause, contribute to that cause. 

Think of how you might gift that individual on their birthday and run with that.

big_smile

2. tandaa profile image60
        tandaaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@wilderness, i think you are right, anything with no religious affiliation might be good

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am not sure why their religious status should matter.  Just don't give them a Bible.  The usual: food, clothing, gift cards, stuff for their hobbies etc.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Money is always welcome. big_smile

@ Mark, lol lol lol money, who will say NO to money?

4. Cardisa profile image89
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If they are not Christians they might be offended if you give them a gift. I know people who are not Christians and they do not want to be included in the gift giving because they don't believe in such things.

I guess what I am tying to say is that non Christians are non Christians because they don't believe in Christ and so would not believe in Christmas.

Sorry, you can't much further off base, Cardisa.  You will find as many if not more Christians that refuse to celebrate Christmas (a heathen holiday) as you will find non-christians.

Christmas is not just about Christ, and has in fact become more of a secular celebration than religious.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. The gift has nothing to do with religion. It has soley to do with the relationship between the giver and the receiver.

1. Cardisa profile image89

My fiance would then ask: Why then give the gift on Christmas and not in June or why give a gift during the season at all? I guess I am playing devil's advocate here. It's like someone who does no celebrate valentine's day, I would not expect them to give me a gift and I certainly would not give them one. My fiance tells me each year that he does not want a VD gift nor should I expect to receive one ether.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
              DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know many who would want a 'VD' gift....  wink  (sorry...smarta$$ gene kicking in....)

2. psycheskinner profile image84
              psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And the answer is that the 'Christmas' season is a gift giving and feasting time in our culture and has been since long before Jesus.  It is not an occasion owned exclusively by Christians despite a pretty successful attempt to "steal" it. (In fact you could argue Christians are the ones who shouldn't celebrate it given the Biblical condemnation of things like Christmas trees).

You are right. I think what Christians have tried to do is make Christmas more about Christ as an excuse to celebrate it, when once the themselves condemned it. I think it's hypocrisy on the Christian's part.

2. Cardisa profile image89

I guess my culture makes the meaning different Wilderness. I find that it is the non believer in Christ that do not wish to be associated with the holiday. So I suppose our beliefs may be dependent on the culture we live in. I do however know that  Adventist and Jehovah's witnesses do not celebrate the holiday.

Absolutely, culture makes an enormous difference. 

A very strong Christian culture would likely find other religions (or no religion) unwilling to join the celebration, while a less Christian culture may well have Christians deciding that the holiday isn't theirs after all and back away from it.

The US is becoming more secular all the time, and when non-believers celebrate anyway some Christians seem to take the attitude that it has become wrong somehow as a result of that.

That's because Christmas has somewhat lost a little of what it is supposed to mean and becoming more commercialized. When we can go back to the real meaning of Christmas than it would not really matte whether you are Christian or not. smile

Well, maybe.  A case could be made that Christmas was originally about the birth of the god Mithra, which might upset Christians a bit. smile

I understand you though - Christmas is about what the individual person wants it to be about, and that's mostly love and giving wherever it is celebrated.  Available to all

5. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Honestly, the gift- giving part of Christmas stems from northern European Yule traditions anyway, so it has nothing particularly to do with Jesus and the Christian side of Christmas.

So this is a bit of a strange question. The giving of gifts is a lovely tradition, just like mother's day, and you can tie it into your own religion if that holds meaning for you, but that part isn't necessarily Christian.  I would wager that at this point, there are more non-Christians around the world who have adopted the gift-giving part of the holiday than there are Christisns, because it's a nice idea when not overly commercialized.

(To rebut you, all my pagan friends give gifts on the solstice -- a  bit of a nuisance since it's a few days early -- my atheist friend has a tree and presents, and my Jewish family always had a tree, presents, and unwrapped presents on Christmas -- and we said, "merry Christmas." So for that matter does the atheist. People who know something about different world religions and the meanings behind the symbols and cultural rituals are not so threatened by variations as followers of One True Way type religions.)

6. ritsukakunx profile image63
      ritsukakunxposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unless you only give religious gifts, wouldn't you get an athiest, or any non-Christian, anything you'd give to a Christian? Athiests are humans, too, even if you don't want to believe it. :p

7. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Quran.

1. Michele Travis profile image65
        Michele Travisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Written in which language smile

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
          A Troubled Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol In Arabic, and then next Christmas, give them the Rosetta Stone.

1. profile image0
            Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

That's rotten.

Funny, though.

2. wilderness profile image94

lol

3. Healthyannie profile image86
            Healthyannieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Rosetta Stone helps to translate the ancient Egyptian written language of hieroglyphics to Greek not Arabic.

2. ESPeck1919 profile image86
    ESPeck1919posted 11 years ago

Not being Christian myself, I just appreciate a well thought out, considerate gift. Just concentrate on what the person likes instead of their religion.

"Happy Holidays" is a good phrase, too, because it includes all potential holidays instead of just the better known ones.

1. Michele Travis profile image65
      Michele Travisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am a Christian, but I still give the kids toys.  Even if the Parents are Christian or not.  My friends, well I just ask them what they might like, instead of giving them something they don't want.  Takes the surprise away, but at least they don't have to return it.

1. ESPeck1919 profile image86
        ESPeck1919posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, exactly!

Kids always love toys. So do some adults, too, but I think we all knew that one already. smile

It really is just a matter of what others might like depending on personality, etc.

3. myorganizedlife profile image61
    myorganizedlifeposted 11 years ago

Make a charitable donation in their name with the sentiment "In the spirit of the season, a donation has been made to (blank organization) in your name. Happy Holidays!

Here are a couple of suggestions:

Sandy Hook School Support Fund through the Western Connecticut United Way
    Hurricane Sandy Relief through the Red Cross

Giving isn't reserved for Christians. It is human nature to give at all times throughout the year.

Good luck!

@myorganizedlife that's a good one. I'll try it and see the effect

4. Rain Defence profile image81
    Rain Defenceposted 11 years ago

Very strange question. Do Christians only give each other bibles at Christmas or something? I'm not religious but celebrate Christmas. I don't know anyone religious out of all my family, friends and acquaintances and I also don't know anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas. Give them what you think they'd like as a present, that's the normal thing to do.

Interesting answer, it's like this, do you always make a wish, blow candles and cut a cake at your birthday? You celebrate your birthday for a reason and a season or at least everybody remembers their birthday, it's normal and common - not strange. Same case to Christmas, we Christians celebrate it with a meaning and give each other and all our loved ones (Christians or not) gifts - it's all about the remembrance of Christ Jesus whom we firmly believe in and that's why it's <b>Christ</b>mas. I'm happy to hear that even thou you and all the people you know are not religious you anyway celebrate <b>Christ</b>mas

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The season is the Winter Solstice, and the "Christian," aspect seems to get lost in the pagan traditions of gift giving and tree decorating. Did you know that the bible expressly forbids Christmas tree decoration?

The fact that your religion has inserted itself in an age old pagan tradition seems to be lost by you guys. I don't celebrate Christmas as a believer in majik - it is purely cultural for me and many others. We are not joining you in celebration of the birth of anything other than the lengthening of the days. Did you know the Sun God spends 3 days buried at it's lowest altitude on the horizon before rising up and being reborn on the third day? Interesting stuff isn't it?

Did you know that the date changes slightly every year and this is why Easter keeps getting moved around? Did you know that all your "Christian "celebrations are actually Pagan celebrations that were co-opted and there was not an actual Jesus person?

This is an interesting video explaining things more fully.

Happy Holidays! big_smile

http://wp.me/p2Jz2C-g4

5. profile image0
    Lesleysherwoodposted 11 years ago

If they arnt Christian, they probably wont worry if you don't get something at this particular time of year, unless they do celebrate Christmas.  Then I would give like any other person.  I don't celebrate Christmas, so am speaking how I would feel.. Not worried about getting anything really.

6. Healthyannie profile image86
    Healthyannieposted 11 years ago

Here's some advise if your friend is a Muslim. Don't call it a Christmas present call it a holiday present. You can technically give your friend whatever you like as long it is from the heart.
    They will appreciate the gesture more than the present. Annie

7. aykianink profile image60
    aykianinkposted 11 years ago

Someone already said it, but I still stand by this answer:  Money.

8. LopezUnleashed profile image70
    LopezUnleashedposted 11 years ago

I haven't looked at any other reply yet, so I don't know if someone else will disagree.  I am a Christian, so that might not help my answer either.  But I think that any gift is fine if it is a gift with meaning and heart.  If you are giving gifts out of compulsion, it means nothing anyway regardless of the occassion.  Any gift that is geared toward the recipient in my opinion is fine. Don't over think it and you'll be fine, if they have a problem with it, that is on them and not you. Anyone who gets offended by a gift has an issue inside themselves.

9. Gary Holdaway profile image87
    Gary Holdawayposted 11 years ago

The bible... I jest. I was under the illusion that anything goes at Christmas? When you think of that person, what do you think they could do with? Often the most thoughtful presents are the cheapest yet most satisfying.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)