As I mentioned in a previous announcement, categories are coming to HubPages.
Here is the planned breakdown of the Games, Toys, & Hobbies Category:
Games, Toys, & Hobbies (Top Level)
* Arcade Games
* Board Games
* Cards & Gaming
* Computer & Video Games
* Juggling (See Performing Arts in Art & Writing Category)
* Miniatures (See Miniatures in the Collecting Subcategory)
* Online Games
* Outdoor Games
* Party & Pub Games
* Puzzles & Learning Games
* Trading Card Games (See Trading Cards in Collecting)
Here is the proposed breakdown for each of the above Games, Toys, & Hobbies subcategories:
(1) Arcade Games (2nd Level)
* Air Hockey
* Classic Video Games
* Claw Vending Machine
* Coin-Operated & Token-Operated Machines
* Cool Arcade Games
* First-Person Games
* History of Arcade Games
* Simulation & Immersion Games
* Skee ball
* Tickets & Prizes
* Video Arcades
(2) Billiards (2nd Level)
* Carom Billiards
* Getting Started
* History of Billiards
* Improving Your Game
* Pocket Billiards
(3) Board Games (2nd Level)
* Action Games
* Adventure & Story Games
* Checkers & Backgammon
* Children's Board Games
* Educational Games
* History of Board Games
* Money & Asset Games
* Movie & TV Games
* Mystery Games
* Non-English Language Games
* Sports Games
* Stragegy Games
* Trivia Games
* Word Games
(4) Cards & Gaming (2nd Level)
* Card Tricks
* Children's Decks & Games
* Collectible Card Games
* Dice Games
* Fictional Card Games
* Leisure Card Games
* Matching Games
* Probabilities & Card Statistics
* Shuffling & Dealing
* Standard Cards & Card Deck
(5) Collecting (2nd Level)
* Autographs & Signatures
* Comic Books
* Decorative Collectibles
* Dolls & Animals
* Fantasy & Magic
* Historical Memorabilia
* Key Chains
* Pins & Buttons
* Rocks, Minerals, & Gems
* Science Fiction
* Souvenirs & Travel Memorabilia
* Trading Cards
* Vintage Toys
(6) Computer & Video Games (2nd Level)
* Driving & Racing
* Empire Building
* God Games
* Handheld Games
* Platform & Scrollers
* Simulation & Sims
* Strategy & Tactics
* Video Cards & Gaming
(7) Hobbies (2nd Level Category)
* Amateur Astronomy
* Amateur Photography
* Collecting (see Collecting subcategory)
* Family Historians
* Ham Radio
* Jewelry Making
* Outdoor Recreation
* Roleplaying (see Roleplaying subcategory)
* Reading (see Books in Books & Entertainment)
* Scale Modeling & Dioramas
* Sound Engineering
(8) Online Games (2nd Level)
* First-Person Shooter Games
* Multiplayer Online Games
* Strategy & Tactics Games
* Skill Games
* Virtual Worlds
* Word Games
(7) Outside Games (2nd Level)
* Children's Games
* Latex & Foam Weapon
* Miniature Golf
(9) Party & Pub Games (2nd Level)
* Billiards (See Billiards Subcategory)
* Bridal & Baby Shower Games
* Children's Party Games
* Drinking Games
* Murder Mystery
* Party Games
* Pub Games
(10) Puzzles (2nd Level)
* Contests & Challenges
* Crossword Puzzles
* History of Puzzles
* Jigsaw Puzzles
* Learning Games
* Logic & Brain Teasers
* Math Games
* Mazes & Labyrinthes
* Optical Illusions
* Riddles & Paradoxes
* Rubiks Cube & Mechanical Puzzles
* Solitaire (See Solitaire in Cards & Gaming Subcategory)
(11) Roleplaying (2nd Level)
* Espionage & Adventure
* Fantasy Sports (see Fantasy Sports in Sports & Recreation)
* General Roleplaying
* Live Action
* Period Adventure & Alternate History
* Science Fiction
(12) Toys (2nd Level)
* Action Figures
* Arts & Crafts
* Baby Toys
* Bath Toys
* Building Blocks
* Costumes & Dress Up
* Dolls & Doll Houses
* Educational Toys
* Flying Toys & Rockets
* Handheld Games
* Light-Up & Glow in the Dark Toys
* Magnets & Magnetic Toys
* Miniature Cars, Motorcycles, & Trucks
* Models & Model Building
* Pogo Sticks & Hoppers
* Prisms & Kaleidoscopes
* Puppets & Finger Puppets
* Radio Controlled & Remote Controlled
* Skates & Skateboards
* Stuffed Animals & Teddy Bears
* Tents & Tunnels
* Tops & Spinning Toys
* Vintage Toys (See Vintage Toys in Collecting)
* Walkie Talkies & Communicators
* Water Toys & Boats
* Wind-up Toys & Springs
Heck yes! I am all over this!
I think this might be one of the best things that's happened to hubpages since I joined!
How about arcade games?
Pinball, skeeball, air hockey, etc?
As my avatar might hint, I'll happily write about poker and other games.
Larry, would it be possible to add the following to the Roleplaying category?
And to Outside Games:
Latex & Foam Weapon (which could encompass the entirety of the foam/latex battle game groups)
Also, how about a Learning Games category?
Where did "crafts" end up? On most sites it tends to fall in the "Hobbies" section so I was wondering where it will be here!
I agree with you that at the very least, there should be a placeholder in Hobbies such as Crafts (See Crafts in Arts & Crafts). Based on feedback I've received, I am planning to change "Writing & Arts" into two categories. "Writing & Literature" and "Arts & Crafts".
For the Computer & Video Games category, my thoughts:
* Add "Exergaming" (that new category that the Wii made popular... exercise gaming)
* Shooter might be better as First-Person or FPS, since it also includes Stealth, Beat-Em-Up and Survival Horror.
* Strategy might be better as Strategy & Tactics (since they're different, but are seen as the same and badly categorised)
* Add Wargaming, since it's a separate category, especially if you're a grognard...!!
* Add Empire Building or something like that for 4X games, Civilization and the like, unless you're putting them into other categories
* Does Simulation cover things like Life Sims? (i.e. The Sims and so on.)
* God Games?
* Platform and Scrollers, for the people still playing on a Commodore 64?
* Cards & Gambling for stuff like solitaire, poker and so on?
* Are you putting hand-held games into the same categories (i.e. Game Boy, etc) or would you keep them in a separate place?
For online games, I'd rename the RTS sub-category to Strategy & Tactics as well.
Oh, and in Board Games, you might want to have "non-English" rather than "Foreign language". Visitors might not be native speakers. But then that's just being politically correct...!!
Hope it helps.
Thanks very much for the excellent feedback! Great suggestions. :-)
I believes that Simulation covers things like Life Sims but if that's not clear, I'll be glad to rethink it and see if I can come up with a clearer category.
I'll still have to think more about handhelds.
Where would you fit hobbies like building dollhouses, model ships, and so on?
Or the people who fly/drive remote controlled aircraft, buggies and boats?
Amateur astronomers, sound engineers, photographers, family historians, etc.
These are all hobbies, but I can't quite see where they would fit ...
Dollhouses would fit in Dolls & Doll Houses in Toys.
Model ships and so on need their own category. I should add Models & Model Building somewhere.
Remote control aircraft, boats, and buggies would fit in Remoted Controlled Toys. Perhaps, it makes sense to make Radio Controlled Toys its own category.
Ham Radio is covered in Radio in Entertainment but perhaps it belongs more here.
Amateur Astronomers is covered in Astronomy in Science & Education but we need a see also here.
Sound Engineers is found in Technology in Audio & Video but I agree that I should add a see also.
Photographers is found in Art & Writing. Based on feedback I've received, I am planning on splitting Art & Writing in Writing & Books and Arts & Crafts.
Family Historians is a good question. I guess the best fit right now is Journaling in Arts & Crafts.
Perhaps you could call it "Radio Controlled Models" rather than "Radio Controlled Toys" - some of these things are anything but toys!
1/4 scale cars that cost $5000 or more, for example, or planes with a wingspan of seven feet ...
Their owners would be most insulted to hear them referred to as "Toys"!
Hi Larry.......how about people collecting postcards from around the world....??
Since there can be loads of games and hobbies that we may not have heard of, what about putting a 'Misc' section at the end of each. This way, if someone doesn't find his desired category, he won't have to fit it somewhere else .
Awesome job again, Mr. Larry! ... also... Game Competitions ...
Larry, I am an avid angler and as such, love to write about my experiences. Could we have a sperate category for this? Or is there already such an animal and I am just not seeing it?
Copyright © 2021 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
HubPages Inc, a part of Maven Inc.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|