Categories coming to HubPages -- Need Your Input

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 60 discussions (99 posts)
  1. larryfreeman profile image78
    larryfreemanposted 15 years ago

In the coming months, we will be adding categories to HubPages.  In conjunction with the current tagging, this will make it easier to find related hubs.

Before we launch this new feature, we wanted to get your feedback.  Getting categories right is difficult and the best way to get there is with your help.

Below is the top-level categories that we are planning to use.  I will add links as they are available for review:

* Arts & Crafts
    * Automotive
    * Books & Writing
    * Business & Jobs
    * Entertainment
    * Fashion & Beauty
    * Food
    * Games, Toys & Hobbies
    * Gender & Relationships
    * Health
    * Holidays & Special Occasions
    * HubPages
    * Home & Family
    * Knowledge & Education
    * Personal Finance
    * Pets & Animals
    * Politics & Social Issues
    * Religion & Beliefs
    * Sports & Recreation
    * Technology
    * Travel & Places

In the coming weeks, we will be presenting each of these top level categories in further detail.  Have any questions about these categories or feel that there's a high level category that we missed, please let us know.

I have written a blog post explaining the rationale if you are interested.

Thanks,

-Larry

1. ProCW profile image79
      ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Sounds great, Larry!

The only thing that I can think of that'd be a great help is: sub level categories within each top level category... smile BUT THEN AGAIN... i just read the blog post... smile 3-levels deep! smile cool! smile

ProCW

Oh, and "Art & Writing" possibly "Arts & Writing" ...

2. ajcor profile image61
      ajcorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I write a little poetry and articles on issues as they relate to the environment/nature but cannot see anything that is actually applicable here....so maybe you could think about adding this category to your lists......cheers and thanks

2. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

Hi Larry I am looking forward to seeing the new development, great Idea; you could also add a humor category as alot of hubs are written with the intention of having a laugh and a joke, take care.....jimmy

3. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

Yes definitely Humor like Jimmy said. And Crafts, I bet quite a few people would be looking there for handy work which sometimes is or isn't included under the arts umbrella. Great idea once again Hubteam. regards Zsuzsy

1. SweetiePie profile image82
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree on the crafts big time smile.  Many of us crafters would love this category smile.

4. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

This is an exciting development, may I also recommend a Poetry category as their are quite a few poets on HubPages!!smile

1. Denny Lyon profile image62
      Denny Lyonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hear! Hear! on the poetry category!

spiritual as in non-caustic non-religious would be great too.

thanks, d

1. Teresa McGurk profile image59
        Teresa McGurkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

love the expression "non-caustic non-religious" -- smile

2. aidenofthetower profile image68
      aidenofthetowerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This could be under writing. In addition there is a lot of good fiction here as well as poetry.

5. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

How about Spirituality--non religious.

6. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

How about Performing Arts?  Dance, opera and theatre don't belong under "Art", and the "Entertainment" category tends to get overwhelmed with celebrity stuff rather than serious performing arts.

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
      Fawntiaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We were planning to make Performing Arts a subcategory of Art & Writing, but you might have a point. We could rename the category "Arts & Writing" as ProCW suggested.

We were also planning to have crafts be a subcategory of Art(s) & Writing.

Humor would fall under Entertainment, I believe.

Color therapy might fit under alternative medicine within the Health & Beauty category ...

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That would be fine so long as the "s" on Arts doesn't get lost along the way!

2. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Or split Celebrity out on itself and then you could have an art/performanc/music category?

3. aidenofthetower profile image68
      aidenofthetowerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

These types of things actually do usually fall under the "art" category. Someone recommended calling it "arts" which would make it clearer for these types of arts.

7. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
    Fawntiaposted 15 years ago

Poetry would be a subcategory of Art & Writing and spirituality would fall under Religion & Beliefs. (We added "& Beliefs" to the name for this very reason.)

1. Lady Guinevere profile image68
      Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Color Therapy is not a religion or belief so it would fit more into a non religous spiritual category.  Same goes for things like Chakras, Kundalini and the like.

8. Jerilee Wei profile image68
    Jerilee Weiposted 15 years ago

Would you have a category for everything else that doesn't fit a specific category?  I found it difficult fitting some of my articles in Helium for example, simply because I wasn't sure about categories.

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

To make an "everything else" category is to make an organizational snarl.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If something is truly missing, we'll add it.  But if your dilemma is simply which of two places it should go, you're just going to have to pick one.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are right. In my own categories I have an "Odds' Ends" category.

And -- like others--  I think  "humor/satire/silliness" could be a separate category. Entertainment seems like movies, music etc.

Thanks for the new features. Makes all of us look better!

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I think Law is missing smile

10. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

LG, there are a few places that Chakras, kundalini, Reiki and such topics would fit, but would likely be best placed under Health, as they're subjects within the realm of alternative medicine like Fawntia said.  Color therapy is, by definition, a form of alternative medicine, so putting it and topics like it under that heading would work well. smile

I like the category idea, Larry, Fawntia.  I think, too, that this list looks great as far as top-tier categories go.

Hooray!

11. Bruce Elkin profile image74
    Bruce Elkinposted 15 years ago

I strongly suggest an "environment" category. ANd/or a sustainablity category. These are the hot topics of the coming year's decades. And hey, everything else on the list depends on what we do or don't do to our environment. Cheers!

12. The Party Fairy profile image62
    The Party Fairyposted 15 years ago

May I suggest an Event Planning category? smile

I see that you have plans for a Birthdays and Holidays category. Many event planning articles would of course fall into this category -- but hubs about reunions, christenings, anniversaries, graduation ceremonies, weddings and more would not fit so easily into this category. Broadening the category to call it Event Planning -- or perhaps just Events -- might work a bit better. 

In addition, some writers may prefer to use the Birthdays and Holidays category to write about origins, traditions, alternatives, etc, rather than offering standard event planning tips. Calling the category Events might work better for this purpose.   

There is a great deal of public interest in event planning, and people are becoming increasingly likely to search online for advice when planning any sort of party or celebration. Sites geared toward answering event planning questions receive tons of traffic. Many hubbers are already contributing hubs with event planning advice, so this may be a category worth considering.

By the way, I think adding categories is a great idea -- but I can certainly appreciate that it will be a daunting task, much trickier than most of us can imagine. Thank you for tackling it -- and good luck!

13. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 15 years ago

1. Photo Gallery Category is needed -  This is a good opportunity to give a separate Category to Photo Gallery Hubbers - This will avoid photo hubs getting mixed up with articles. This was the greatest demand by hubbers in this site. I hope this step will make everyone happy.

2. Product Reviews - It is better to make it a top level category as more people now a days depend on reviews before buying a product or before doing anything.

3. The category "Home & Family" will be better if named "Real Estate & Home"

4. The category "Gender & Relationships " will be better if named "Relationships & Family"

14. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

I agree a "categories" feature would, along with the tags, be an improvement. Many of the hubs I've written could fit into a variety of categories, but often like a square peg in a round hole. For that reason, I would like to see a category used by at least one other social Website I know -- that would be "pure opinion." It's a kind of catch-all like "Odds & Ends" or "Everything Else," but I think more definitive.

15. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

This new added feature will also cure the age old problem about the HOTpicture hubs. So everyone should be happy.

I appreciate what the team has proposed. I myself will be able to work with the categories fine, the way the Hubteam has set it up. Having those sub-headings will make it just perfect.

Thanks Team. regards Zsuzsy

16. Ralph Deeds profile image65
    Ralph Deedsposted 15 years ago

How about a "humor" category?

17. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 15 years ago

How about the "Self Help" category? or "New Age"  It combines spirituality (without religion) and holistic wellness,  much like what Gamegirl is talking about. All major bookstores have these sections.

18. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 15 years ago

Larry, I think the categories are just fine to start out with.  Everything that has been suggested in this thread is actually covered by the top levels you've proposed.  What people keep suggesting is really just drilling down to specifics.

19. ParadigmShift... profile image77
    ParadigmShift...posted 15 years ago

What about leadership/personal development?  And if someone wrote a hub on say, autism or cancer or the like, what category would that fit in? I kind of like the idea of a "How to" category. I know each individual "how to" hub can fit into one of these categories, but what if I wanted to just browse them all to see what I could learn?

20. elqalatawy profile image40
    elqalatawyposted 15 years ago

Every one have one or two things which he knows how to do it better, why is not there a "Do It Yourself" category?

21. BrianS profile image60
    BrianSposted 15 years ago

I really like the look of the categories listed with one possible exception, I just can't rationalize why birthdays & holidays goes together, maybe it's a British thing versus an American thing.

Wonder if anyone would be kind enough to explain.

larryfreemanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Brian,

In America, many holidays celebrate someone's birthday.  In the US, Martin Luther King's Birthday is a national holiday and we also celebrate President's Day which occurs in the same month as the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln and George Washington, February.

In the US, people are often given floating holidays known as personal days as part of their benefits at work.  These can be for religious holidays not covered by the company calendar or for birthdays.

-Larry

22. guidebaba profile image57
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Why do you always miss "ELECTRONICS". I am an electronics engineer and can publish great stuff related to electronics. I include them in "Technology" since there is NO ELECTRONICS Option.

23. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

I think "Weird Stuff" or "Off The Wall" type thing is missing.

Otherwise where oh where will my pubic hair hubs sit best?  (Don't answer that)

24. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

Also from my side, I always like to see "Music" separated out from "Enetertainment" if possible but that may just be me.  It's worth a high level category of its own

25. gamergirl profile image86

Remember guys, this is going to be a three-tier system, so for example:

Food would be the top tier category, and then under that you would have Recipes and then under that you could have Vegetarian, Low Fat, etc..  Top tier categories should be VERY broad, VERY recognizeable and not seriously limiting.  Let the second tier narrow things down a little more, and then the third tier narrow even more.

26. larryfreeman profile image78
    larryfreemanposted 15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all your comments!  This is great.  :-)

I think when we show the proposed breakdown for each of these top level categories, it will become clearer how many of the topics listed fit in.  We plan to start posting these details this week.

No category scheme is going to work for everyone but we'll try our best to represent at first level or second level all the most popular topics on HubPages.

-Larry

27. gamergirl profile image86

You guys would know best about it, too, since you have access to data from every single hub written so far (even the unpublished ones half-done) and I'm sure whatever you guys come up with will be fantastic!

Thank you for all the hard work you folks put in, even if I am jealous of the location your offices are at! tongue

28. Earl S. Wynn profile image79
    Earl S. Wynnposted 15 years ago

I'm looking forward to getting a Games, Toys and Hobbies category! I've been writing in that vein since I started (along with science, tech, and other nerdly/geeky things etc.) and I've had to put all those hubs in entertainment, which is broad and awfully vague.

29. indy cindy profile image65
    indy cindyposted 15 years ago

Humor, Crafts, Poetry, Advice... as well as all the categories listed ... excellent additions to the HubPages format.

30. AEvans profile image70
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

Oops cannot forget recipes as we all seem to somehow and sometime , tend to hunt for new dishes to make. smile

31. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

Wierd & Unusual category? n where would UFO experiences and miscellaneous go? lol

32. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

I write on heavy machinery and equipment elsewhere, and some other rather odd engineering bits on automotive workshop equipment.
    I will scan the categories to see if I can find a fit.

33. agvulpes profile image85
    agvulpesposted 15 years ago

Without wishing to appear old fashioned what about the old fashioned "miscellaneous" ? cool

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Miscellaneous is dangerous, because everyone who thinks their Hub isnt an exact fit will choose Miscellaneous and it will end up huge!

1. agvulpes profile image85
        agvulpesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OK  I guess it would promote 'laziness' but there will always be a Hub that will not fit ?

34. trish1048 profile image67
    trish1048posted 15 years ago

I'm with Misha, Law, or Law & Order perhaps under the Politics and Social Issues unbrella.  Perhaps a category called From the Heart with a sub category of Life/Personal Stories.  Under Home and Family umbrella, a sub category of Decorating/Decorating How-tos and maybe Family Vacations.  Instead of Birthdays and Holidays, perhaps Astrology and Birthdays?

35. shashigai profile image59
    shashigaiposted 15 years ago

Most of my hubs are on Psychology of one sort or another.
    Did anyone ask for Holidays?

Maybe it sounds sad or pessimistic, but a portion of my hubs are on Cancer, which i find as a category on other sites. There are a lot of hubs here on cancer prevention and various types of cancer.

36. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 15 years ago

Pretty good, but wondering where History will fit in. smile

37. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

I wrote a hub about the body and how it can be done weird things with such as the laying on nails and walking on fire--I don't remember what category I put that in, but there wasn't a real fit either.

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image65
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I suggested "Weird Stuff" so it'd slot nicely in there with my pubic hair hubs!

38. ProCW profile image79
    ProCWposted 15 years ago

Hey Larry... Here's an idea...

create a hub or two or ten that lists all the categories, subcategories and sub-subcategories attach a poll based on each ... and um... let the hubbers vote on them...

what do ya think? smile

ProCW

Hi ProCW,

The problem there is that we would have to first come up with the list of candidates that get voted on and then wait for people to vote.  :-)

Our plan is to present a new set each day and see what discussion emerges and then fine tune the categories based on the discussion.

-Larry

1. ProCW profile image79
        ProCWposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hey Larry!

I see what you mean... it was just a random thought... i tend to have plenty of those... smile

Best of luck with the new category sets! smile

ProCW

39. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

They have a category system like this on Helium. 

It was all fine, except when the article you wanted to publish didn't fit anywhere or at least not anywhere that was great for the work's exposure.  When that was the case, you had to email Helium with a new category to see if they would approve it and wait for an answer. 

I don't know if that's changed or not, haven't been there for awhile, but am wondering if it will create extra work for the team.  Also, not being able to write and submit for an extra hour/day while waiting for the answer was frustrating.

Not trying to be negative, honest.

40. ripplemaker profile image76
    ripplemakerposted 15 years ago

How about self improvement or personal growth articles?  Where does that fit? smile

41. ilovehubbing profile image60
    ilovehubbingposted 15 years ago

Now you know I am going to say Green - carbon offsetting smile

42. shashigai profile image59
    shashigaiposted 15 years ago

this is kind of selfish, but there do seem to be a lot of people here with an interest in autism. i would appreciate this as a category, but probably you should see what others think.

Great suggestion.  At this point, I would put autism under Medicine which falls under Science & Education.

-Larry

43. Trekkiemelissa profile image66
    Trekkiemelissaposted 15 years ago

I am really happy that hubpages is finally starting on adding categories.  Its the one thing that I felt hubpages was lacking.  Yes tags are fine, but sometimes you just want to look at hubs by categories.  Thank You smile

44. SpotCoolStuff.com profile image68
    SpotCoolStuff.composted 15 years ago

Maybe I missed this amongst the many comments but: Can a hub be in more than one category and/or sub-category? I can think of lots of hubs of mine that would cut across a few of these categories.

A hub can only be in one category at a time.  You can change the category later if you decide another category fits better.

-Larry

45. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

I may have missed it, but will we have to go back and add all current hubs to these categories?

Hi Whitney,

We will be providing tools to help categorize existing hubs.  We are trying to make it as painless as possible.

-Larry

46. El-Said profile image57
    El-Saidposted 15 years ago

Larryfreeman, this idea is absolutely encouraging, I support the categories and assure you my full contribution particularly on the political and social issues, but how do we participate?

Hi El-Said,

To categorize your previous hubs, just select the "my account" tab and then click on the "Categories" link.

For new hubs, just select your category when you create the hub.

If you find we are missing any major categories, please post on the forum.

-Larry

47. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

Larry, I'd like your opinion, please.

What do you think is the best category for the HubNuggets hubs?  Hubs about hubs?

Hi Shirley,

How about:

HubPages/Hubs about Hubs/Exploring & Discovering New Hubs

-Larry

1. Shirley Anderson profile image72
        Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Larry!  That's what I'll do.

48. okmom23 profile image67
    okmom23posted 15 years ago

I agree, Autism should be a consideration.

Hi okmom23,

autism is found in:

Health/Diseases & Conditions/Autism & Asperger's Syndrome

-Larry

49. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

lol, painless...there are so many levels of that now n I not goin there, lol

50. SpotCoolStuff.com profile image68
    SpotCoolStuff.composted 15 years ago

Hubpages team:

Just wanted to tell you how impressed I am with the categories you came up with. I've had a few hubs where I've though to myself "No way will they have a category for this hub to fit into." And then, sure enough, you do.

Hi SpotCoolStuff.com,

I'm very glad to hear that the categories are working well for you.

Cheers,

-Larry

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)