jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (13 posts)

First Hub, would love some input

1. Jacante profile image73
    Jacanteposted 4 years ago

I'm new to HubPages and just posted my first Hub.  I thought it would be helpful to get some feedback from experienced folks before I start working on my next piece.

Any info/suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks!

http://jacante.hubpages.com/

1. A Driveby Quipper profile image59
      A Driveby Quipperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Well, they don't like you to promote your own hub on a forum, but I don't see the harm in this.

You grasp the concept. It is an ideal hub.

Jacanteposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!
        Since I'm new to this, I was worried about jumping right into my next Hub without getting any feedback.

You are a solid writer, and the images really helped make the whole thing appealing. I won't be surprised if you get a lot of visits from the "hopper".

It is so good, I think you might be experienced around here and have just created another identity to fill a niche and maximize your opportunities.

I take that as a nice compliment!
            I really am new, but I've had my own blog for years and write for a handful of local publications. New to HubPages though!

Not me. I worked the gig for about a year before I realized it was a waste of time for me. My first mistake was showing up at a masquerade flea market without a costume. Then, since I have a keen interest in philosophy and religion, I went to the forum as suggested in the tutorials. I was jumped by a group of obnoxious townies (Hubbers) looking to start fights with strangers. They had a misplaced, haughty pride about tenure here.

I got myself banned for my stream of consciousness writing. This is no venue for that. My informative stuff was alright, though. Tight, creative and very professional. It isn't worth it to have to generate your own traffic from this platform. I just come by from time to time to mess around and waste time. I went to military school, and I guess I never grew out of wasting time screwing with the administration and the suck-up cadet officers. That place was a joke, too.

Did you notice how many times I repeated "waste . . . time" to emphasize the concept?

2. B. Leekley profile image89
      B. Leekleyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I took a look and liked the hub even though I am not interested in running or races. I enjoy being an armchair sharer in hubbers' adventurous lives. One suggestion that I have is to define "destination race" at the start.  You never define the term, and I had to infer from the context that it means using participating in scheduled races in locations far from where you live as an excuse to travel to and visit those locations. Of course express it better than that.

You could do a group of hubs -- Destination Races, Destination Boating, Destination Shopping, Destination Gambling, Destination Sunset Gazing, Destination Book Sales, .... (Just kidding.  But I have read that it's good strategy to write groups of hubs according to themes or broad topics to make full use of research and to send viewers among them.)

The photo of Canadians running across a bridge is somewhat dark on my computer.

Thank you so much for the helpful feedback. I'll take a stab at editing tonight!

I think I can tweak the photo, it's from my phone but I believe I can lighten it a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to look it over!

2. Simone Smith profile image92
    Simone Smithposted 4 years ago

Wow, what a great first Hub! Jacante, you're off to a great start. I love that you're using orgiginal images and breaking the Hub into multiple Text Capsules with images floated around them and descriptive subheadings.

You can make the Hub more interactive by adding a Poll Capsule, and you can make it easier to skip around by using more bulleted lists or Table Capsules to summarize important tips.

We have lots more information on how you can improve your Hubs in the Learning Center, so be sure to check it out: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

And welcome to HubPages!

Thanks for the feedback!
      I like the sound of a Poll Capsule, might give that a try in my next go around. I'll have to play around with Table Capsules too.  Thanks again!

3. rfmoran profile image89
    rfmoranposted 4 years ago

Very well written. I kept reading it even though I am not a runner. Good use of photos. I ditto everything Simone Smith said in her comment. Use all the fun stuff that HP enables and it improves the stickiness of your hub as well as its traffic.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

4. profile image0
    loseraspieposted 4 years ago

Be careful not to over promote your Hubs. If you do that and keep on breaking the no over promoting rule you'll get fired and your account will be banned.

working