Hubtivity Filter

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

A way to filter out hubtivity showing someone using one of those programs that just joins the fan clubs willy nilly?  It's annoying.  Better yet, outlaw it.  It makes that persons membership in your fan club meaningless, as well as make their own fan base meaningless.  They can't even be bothered to click on a hub.  It's kind of shameless and just wrong.

1. ajcor profile image61
      ajcorposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There is someone on hubpages at this moment who has managed to join 18 fan clubs at exactly the same time - they all show the same time frame of "joined 17 seconds ago" - if this is not using some type of program I'll be a monkey's uncle!

1. goldentoad profile image61
        goldentoadposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I did that edit on the "fans" as they recommended and since then I don't see jack about people becoming fans of whoever. I also since that one night when it became a subject, I started going through some of my fan list and started getting rid of those fanners who have yet to write a credible hub and who becomes a fan of everyone and their lost cousins. I know they'll never read my junk, so it doesn't matter to me.

1. ajcor profile image61

great idea GT you are quite right  - will follow suit -

2. relache profile image68
    relacheposted 15 years ago

You have a variety of options for filtering the hubtivity that you see by editing your viewing preferences.

3. Christoph Reilly profile image68

I know, Relache, but I don't see how to get rid of them without getting rid of other legitimate hubtivity that I want to see?  I don't think you can separate them, or am I missing something?  So if getting rid of them means me not seeing the hubtivity of others, then that is hardly an acceptable option in this instance. Thanks.

4. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You can turn off all or parts of fanning hubtivity under hubtivity -> edit preferences -> fans.

That's the best you can do.

And just for the record - I don't support you motion to outlaw this. There are enough safeguards in place to punish for excessive fanning, look at robertkelleher big_smile

5. Christoph Reilly profile image68

Thanks for pointing that out.

6. britneydavidson profile image60
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

well thats really true,i am agree with you

7. Christoph Reilly profile image68

Thanks.

8. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 15 years ago

Hm, I see now.

9. gamergirl profile image90
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

I'm with you on the excessive fan club joining, Chris.  I realize that for some people (read: Misha) joining a fan club for every hubber out there is merely a way to be seen by more viewers or what-have-you, but the practice itself demeans the concept of being a FAN.  I'm not the fan of any hubbers who I wouldn't read the hubs of, but at the same time there are a few hubbers whose material I do read of whom I am not a fan.  It's kind of like those people with tens of thousands of "friends" on myspace.  Really? Do you really consider them friends?

Anyway, totally behind you on fan spam countermeasures.

Christoph Reillyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I left a comment for a person last night asking him to please stop (it had been going on for hours) and got a semi-angry letter from them today, and one on one of my articles as well.  This person claimed they are not running a program but simply doing "hard work."  I had to laugh.  Joining fanclubs at the rate of more than 4 per minute for several hours is just not possible without a program...unless you're superman!

10. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You just envy me, Charlotte tongue

11. gamergirl profile image90

BAH.  Lies and perfidy. tongue tongue tongue

12. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

It's possible, trust me. Boring and hard, but possible. And I am by no means a superman lol

1. Elena. profile image84
      Elena.posted 15 years agoin reply to this

My question is why would anyone work that hard to become a fan of megatrillion people?  Certainly it isn't to get to work later reading all those hubs?  Is it done so others reciprocate?  Puzzles me.

Well, they put a value on how many fans they have regardless of how they get them.  And as Gamergirl says, they believe it results in more people who see them and read them, though they are not actually reading that person's hubs.  Many people will join your fan club if you join theirs.  It is detrimental to them and really to everybody, since it renders fan club numbers meaningless, and some people take it very seriously.  I don't.

Besides, I think calling it a "fan club" is a mistake in the first place.  Instead of "fans", it should be "peers," or something.  Instead of "fan clubs,"  maybe "people who like your stuff."  Wordy, I know, but "Fans?"  That is someone who pays money to go to a concert and scream their bloody heads off at their favorite musician.  I haven't heard any screaming on any of my hubs lately.  No autographed 8 x 10's have been requested.  Its really bringing me down! Ha! tongue

1. gamergirl profile image90
          gamergirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Where's my autographed 8x10?

Sign with "To Gamergirl with love" please!

Here Gamergirl.  It's my pleasure to honor your request.

http://hubpages.com/u/795778_f496.jpg

I'll email you my address! big_smile

2. Christoph Reilly profile image68

I beg to differ (not about you not being superman).  I thought it was understood that this should include actually reading the articles and commenting specifically to that article.  That is impossible.  The comment should be something other than "I joined your fan club now you join mine," which I have seen many times.  I delete them.

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not sure what exactly you beg to differ from? You don't think it is possible to join fan clubs with such a speed? Easy - give it a try, and you will see it is possible. smile

Either way I fail to see what all the drama is about lol

Try to imagine for a moment that there could be points of view and opinions on this topic different from yours. Just for a change, would you? wink

I beg to differ that you--or anyone--can navigate to a persons hub, read that hub, comment on that hub, and then join their fan club, 4 times per minute for hours.  It's not possible no matter what you say.

Where's the drama?  Am I missing drama?

"Try to imagine that there are other points of view and opinions on this topic other than yours.  Just for a change?????"   Oh, that's rich, coming from you.  Also, I fail to see where I don't recognise other peoples opinion.  You just made that from thin air. I have an opinion too, and I am expressing it.  Fine.  If you want to comment here, then perhaps you will share your opinion with us.  Why do you join peoples fan clubs without even knowing if they can write?  What do you get out of it?  When they in turn blindly join yours, does it make you feel needed?  Really, I don't get it.  Explain rather that attack.

Gamergirl:   I'm working on that 8x10!

1. Misha profile image64

Don't put words in my mouth please, I never said that. All what I said was that it is possible to manually join fan clubs at a rate of 4 per minute or even faster. I did not say anything about reading, commenting, and such smile

It's probably because you are creating it. smile

Not sure why it is rich coming from me, and not rich by itself. Care to elaborate? wink
            On the whole duration of this thread - and comments on Toad's hub - you consistently fail to recognize that other people reasons of joining fan clubs, different from yours, are - umm - legitimate. And keep insisting that your definition of fans, fan clubs, and "fanning" is the only valid one. smile
            You made a couple of assumptions here, which are ungrounded. Do I need to elaborate on any of them, or you could see this yourself? Now, my reasons for joining other people fan clubs include but are not limited to, in no particular order:

1. building backlinks
            2. liking their comments or posts on forums
            3. liking their hubs
            4. liking their face (especially in case of girls, but when I joined your fanclub it played its role, too wink)
            5. hoping they will reciprocate
            6. trying to support newbies

I could come up with more probably, but I think it is more than enough smile

It's rich because you are quite well known for being stubborn and not seeing other's opinions.

I'm not putting words in your mouth, but my own.  That is what I am referring to.

There was no drama here until you came and created it. 

You bring up my comments on another hub.  That has nothing to do with this.  You are the first person who has expressed a contrary opinion, so how can I be ignoring the opinions of others when they haven't been there?

Good!  I'm glad you have your reasons.  Truth is, I don't really care because I figured out how to get that persons hubtivity to not appear in mine, but others had written here, and since I started the thread, I joined in.  Knock yourself out.smile

1. Misha profile image64

Now that is interesting. I really would like to know if this is only your observation, or others think similarly.

People, could you please tell me if you agree with Chris on this or not? No offense taken smile

1. countrywomen profile image60
                  countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We all can be "stubborn" about certain things at some point in our life (at least I am). Now is this some sort of a game where either person wants to have the last word. In my hub I mentioned about politics/religion and sometimes sports makes people passionate but never thought that even in point of views in forums. As many people are there so many point of views would be there. Have a great day guys. big_smile

13. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

There could be several reasons for such a behavior. Reciprocating hopes is definitely one of them, and people do reciprocate quite often. However, all is good in moderation, and this guy is obviously overdoing it smile

14. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

By and large, the authors with the highest scores have a lot more fans, than they are fans of.  There are some subtleties to the way it works, but rest assured that most people that join a lot of fan clubs aren't gaining anything by it (that I would consider to be of value, anyway).

15. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL CW-girl, I urge you to consider diplomatic career lol

Thanks for posting, but I really want an honest feedback smile

1. countrywomen profile image60

Thanks for the compliment. Ok the reason I don't like labeling anybody is because it may also be due to my inability to understand the other person better before judging them. In life so far I have found it is not necessary to always have a definite answer hence I would still reserve my personal opinion until I have further understanding. And also I don't find it wrong if somebody likes to join fan club of everybody they want to compared to others who are more reserved about joining fan clubs. Each person as long as they are operating within the TOS at Hub pages has the right to act as they want to act. big_smile

1. Misha profile image64

CW-girl, you don't know yourself what kind of jewel you are! I really can't remember in my whole life meeting a person who are so wise at such a tender age as you. smile

16. gamergirl profile image90

I think you are stubborn, but most of the time you seem like you just don't want to fight people.  I also think that joining every single hubber's fanclub is a bit excessive - well, not a bit, a lot, but I still consider you to be a buddy and enjoy chatting with you when we get the chance. smile

17. Christoph Reilly profile image68

Gamergirl:  What? Are you going to throw darts at it or something?

Misha:  I didn't mean to offend you with that comment.  I don't think I have heard anyone else express that thought. so maybe it's just me.  Not that I don't like you.  Sometimes you make me laugh, and if I didn't like you, I probably wouldn't bother to argue with you.

I don't know if it's necessary to pursue this, Misha.  Lets just say it's only me and I am wrong.  I normally keep my mouth shut and mind my own business, but lately, I have been getting more and more outspoken.  I don't know why, but I am going to try to mind my own business in the future.  Again, I'm sorry for any hard feelings I have caused.  I don't argue well.  I'm not used to it.

OK? hmm

1. Misha profile image64

LOL Chris, take it easy, I did not take any offense on this smile

I am genuinely interested if finding out how I come across in that regard, as there are things that are impossible to see from inside, and if this is how people see me, I definitely need to work on this smile

2. countrywomen profile image60

Christoph- I too have noticed that "outspoken" part in recent days and it is ok to be outspoken too as long as you are so friendly as the comment above.

Misha- Christoph sure has a good heart and you have lots of experiences/knowledge which most of us love to be at the receiving end (at least most of the times) wink

18. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thank Charlotte, I love ya too smile

Guess I did not phrase my request properly. I know I am stubborn, and this is because my opinions (when I have them) are based on a fair amount of research and thinking I did.

What I was actually interested in was if I really come across as someone who does not respect others' opinions - as what Chris seems to think about me - if I understood him correctly of course. smile

19. Christoph Reilly profile image68

I didn't use the word "respect", Misha.  Is that what you meant when you said it about me?

1. Misha profile image64

You used the word "see", seeing others opinions. I took it as recognizing, understanding, respecting. Was I wrong?

I don't know what it can be considered.  You said that I failed to 'recognize' other peoples opinions.  I only meant to repeat what you had said about me.

Gamergirl:  "Well...Ok.  I'll trust you not to burn it in a goth ritual.  Promise?

LOL Promise!

(I'm actually going to put it on my desk at work to make myself look super-cool.)

20. gamergirl profile image90

No way, I just like collecting cool people's pictures. big_smile I'ma  bit of a photographical packrat.

21. Christoph Reilly profile image68

And Countrywomen, I agree with Misha (how bout that?).  As I wrote somewhere last night, you are always the voice of reason.

22. profile image0
    Kellys Writingposted 15 years ago

Hi! I have been here a couple of months but I have to say that everyone here is great. The differences in opinion and how people feel about certain issues helps give different perspectives on things. I have read alot of Christophs and Mishas comments and think that you guys and a lot of the people I have read and met on here are pretty interesting.

I have been following this forum post and I think both of you guys are interesting and creative and deserve the right to your own opinoins and thoughts no matter who thinks they are right or wrong.

Smile guys big_smile  You both are cool !

23. countrywomen profile image60
    countrywomenposted 15 years ago

Misha- In a few months I will be 26 (not so tender really). But thanks a lot for such a high opinion about me.

Christoph- It is so nice to see the Lion's usual bright vibrant side. Thanks for that "voice of reason" compliment. I guess you guys are spoiling me with too much praise and not letting me have a level head..LOL lol

24. VioletSun profile image79
    VioletSunposted 15 years ago

Well, I joined the conversation a tad late, smile, but I know who Christoph is referring to, as last night, I decided to check hubtivity after working all day, and what do I see, pages after pages of a very young guy joining fan clubs. I wasn't irritated, but not motivated to look for conversations, I could participate.  AOL has a filter in their forums where one can block a user id; came in pretty handy, now and then, when trolls would disrupt a forum.

I think both Christoph and Misha are perfect as they are!  Thanks for joining my fan club a while back. smile

1. ajcor profile image61

I also saw this person joining many fan clubs and was also irritated - it meant that I had to scoll down many pages to find any conversations I may have wanted to join and these actions seemed not only to take up valuable space in hubtivity pages but also time...so was not impressed until I too figured out a way to NOT have to watch these actions continuing - I understand everyone has the right - as long as they observe the TOS of hubpages -  to enoy their time here but we all have the right to make observations as to what is and what is not annoying....smile

25. Christoph Reilly profile image68

Thank you Violetsun!  Did you have to include that other guy though?  (just kidding)

26. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL

27. profile image0
    robertkelleherposted 15 years ago

So now everyone has had fun of talking about me and never communicating to me why my score was low. Every great writer has critics and fans. We allow our work speak.

It is highly unfair to punish a hubber for having legitimate fans. All of which I have earned through my tastes.

When I have enjoyed what I read of a fan and felt they be great then I invited them.

My work stands firm and strong. My Writersworld-International professional group and her websites are testimony to my fans.

For with no fans, we have no readers. Who then will read our writings?

My published work in all medias speak as well.

I am a journalist, an author, interviewer, Book marketing and consultant.

Most recent is Enelle Lamb's One step forward-two steps Back-Living with adhd, a Mother's Perspective. available through lulu and amazon. We are waiting on Dr Phil and Oprah as we speak.

Judy Cullins is a fan of mine, giving me highly recommended.

In Closing:
    I respect each of your opinions. Remember It is I, who have the facts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)