Can you guess why my hub was not featured?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. koerakoonlane profile image78
    koerakoonlaneposted 11 years ago

Hello,

I have been discovering HubPages for few days now and this morning something new happened.
    I published this hub http://koerakoonlane.hubpages.com/hub/L … e-Sixties, it's the first hub that I publish and doesn't get featured. It carries quite high hubscore for a new hub (First time I start with over 50 for a new one)

It has photos, capsules and I did spelling check. Why didn't it get featured? Do you have an idea? Thank you for all help.

1. aa lite profile image84
      aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I can see the hub on your profile under "hubs".  Did you do the flick the switch in your account settings to make idle (unfeatured, (honestly HP this terminology is disgusting, my laptop hates it so much it refuses to accept it, keeps correcting it to "unfettered", I type "unfeatured", laptop corrects it to "unfettered" it takes forever!)). 

Usually a hub that is idle (unfettered) doesn't appear on the profile, except in the spotlight if you put it there.  Are you sure yours was unfettered (ok laptop wins, I give up!)? 

I am not that familiar with the assessment criteria, but my feeling is your hub would be featured under them, as in it is written in English.  Maybe the threshold was raised recently?

I don't think you have a problem with lenght and grammar, but I think you could probably organise it better, break it up into sections with subheadings.  For one thing this makes it a lot easier for people to read, honestly it is hard to read a long page of text in one go.  You did add a photo in the middle, which does help but subheadings would help more.

Subheadings also help with the onpage SEO because any words in the H2 tag are given more weight by Google.  You should put keywords in the subheadings.

Then there is the question of "substance".  Please don't hate me for being honest, but it did read like you waffled a bit.  Not terribly so, I don't think this would get you to fail the QAP, but I doubt you would score very highly on the substance ratings.  That is probably more to do with your choice of subject, rather than your ability as a writer.

Are there Amazon products (socks) you could add to the hub.  They might add a bit of visual interest, and possibly make you some money. 

But I have to say I am surprised that your hub didn't pass the QAP (if that is in fact what happened).  Unless the thresholds were raised in the past couple of days.

2. Nancy Owens profile image82
      Nancy Owensposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here are some things you can try:
      Break up your text into two or three text modules. You can do this by inserting the modules and then copy and past sections of the hub into those modules.

Next, Add Headings to your modules. Make sure they are relative to what that section of the hub is about.

Finally, try adding more photos. Be sure you are using the photos legally. If you use a photo you found online, you must either pay for that photo, or use one that is licensed for others to use for free. Go to wikimedia and read up on creative commons usage. Also, you should always give the source of the photo, and give credit to the photographer.

If the photo you already have on your hub was not used legally, you should take it down and find another one.

Uploading your own photos is always a good idea, and then just cite yourself as the source for the photo.

Try completing these edits and resubmit. Good luck.

2. Paul Maplesden profile image75
    Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years ago

I can see your hub without problem, you did have a comma on the end of your URL which may be what caused the issue.

Your hub is published though, and showing ads. It is noindexed, so it is not currently showing in Google search results; if the hub is fewer than 24 hours old, it may become featured; if it isn't, trey re-editing the hub using the learning center resources as a guide.

3. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey koerakoonlane!

The Hub you linked to was not Featured immediately after being published because it did not receive sufficient quality ratings in our Quality Assessment Process: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Featured-Hubs

This is always the case with Hubs that are not Featured immediately after publication.

I'd go through the Hub, edit it, check for grammatical errors, add more high quality media and utility, and see if that makes a difference. smile

Some guidelines to consider following: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

4. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I think I know what the basic requirements for a hub are.

My latest effort went from whirly thing to blank.  No "H".  That means it was looked at but....

...but what?

It wasn't good enough?
    Too rude?
    The photos were a bit risque?
    The subject matter inappropriate?

The thing is, I have no clue at all as to why it was not featured.

I don't mind if someone says a reason for HP not accepting something but I have a slight problem with a blank reject that tells me nothing.

I have added a bit of text along the lines of "THIS IS HUMOR YOU MORONS" but slightly more politely - and resubmitted it in the death category of satire.  Because.... duh.... satire absolutely should NOT be in a satire section.  That's kind of the point of it.

Enough rant.  I believe it is a severe lack of feedback not to explain why, briefly, a page does not meet the standards required.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ask those who designed the system.  Who did design it?  I'd really, really, like to know this in order to know who to be angry at.  I'll bet they won't tell us, though.  mad

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just keep being angry at HP as a whole, eventually you'll hit the person in specific.

lol  Just keep being yourself, Melissa.  Eventually you'll......still be just you.  tongue

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

QAP gets less easy to understand by the day.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82

I have also realised that it is International Womans day today.  It is a double pity that a piece that was largely tolerant towards women and their bizarre behaviour should not be available to them via internet search.

Love the avatar of you sitting on your "a."   smile

7. jsquirrel profile image61
    jsquirrelposted 11 years ago

Hi. I'm new to hubpages also and my first ever hub was featured. Not everyone gets a featured hub and after that I only got 3 other featured hubs. Just keep writing on and just have fun with it.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My goal is to make money, thus I keep all my hubs featured so they get search engine traffic. If people want to write just for fun, that is fine.  But some of us have other goals.

8. jsquirrel profile image61
    jsquirrelposted 11 years ago

Hi. I'm new to hubpages also and my first ever hub was featured. Not everyone gets a featured hub and after that I only got 3 other featured hubs. Just keep writing on and just have fun with it.

9. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

Hub Pages has made changes to the page where you create/writing content for your hub. On the upper right side of it there is a box called Need Some Goals? that shows different word counts. It starts with 700 and the next one is 850, and so on. There are five of these numbers there. I am guessing that if your hub is less than 700 words that it may not get featured but I could be wrong. Also, for a hub to be featured it is a good idea to include not only a picture or two but also other capsules like poll, amazon, video, etc.

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

In the last few days I have had hubs pass QAP with less than 400 total words of content, so I doubt that is it.

Interestingly, I get that suggestion/tick box on one of my accounts, and not on the other.

11. hrymel profile image81
    hrymelposted 11 years ago

Since I've began the amazon Turk process and did quality assessment for hubs, I've realized that one of the biggest problems, besides the obvious grammatical and spelling errors, is the lack of organization and quality media.  So I'd suggest looking at your organization, and add some subtitles, as well as maybe some length. Some hubs are fine with less length, but if you're struggling to get it featured, adding more would probably help.

12. Mark Ewbie profile image82

OK.  Hub that was not passed by MTurk has been moved elsewhere.  I have a choice of blogs or sites - none of which require someone else making a decision over it - and then failing to inform me why the decision was made.

Sorry to all those who had already commented on it and I think enjoyed it.

I appreciate that slightly 'edgy' material is a problem when trying to appease Google, Adsense and an audience of twelve year olds and it's been an interesting lesson for me.

Incidentally, not that it matters, my page did not contain anything offensive and was in my opinion, a world away from the other stuff that arguably MTurk would be better focussed on.  I spent time and care on it to make sure that it fitted within what I thought were acceptable boundaries of decency and taste.

Also... not that it matters... the underlying message of the page was to provide support using satire on a subject that is dear to many people.  Quality content?  Or just another page for the garbage heap?

Sorry to go on.  Little bit cross.

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe they nixed that hub; it was great satire and obviously intended to shed light on certain issues (if it's the one I'm thinking of). I have another account where I post a little more edgy stuff, and had a hub moderated by the probably not too smart MTurk workers. I didn't even bother to edit that hub either, just deleted and moved it. MTurk moderators get sour faced from things hinting at certain things even slightly, and, clearly, they didn't get the joke. I think you would do well to start your own site, Mark. I think it would be very popular and you already have an audience.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Nate - yes it was that one.  I waited nearly two days for it to be published and lost my patience.  Like the first comment on it from someone who didn't read it, didn't get it, didn't understand it - which is funny - it's slightly less funny when it is a moderator who has a similar level of comprehension.

HP is full of arguably less quality pages on breast feeding so I don't get it.  I spend all week at work with people shovelling crap on me - don't want it (or need it) in my hobby as well.

13. koerakoonlane profile image78
    koerakoonlaneposted 11 years ago

Hey thank you all for your input, I will be able to do some changes tomorrow, I'll be sure to let you know how it will turn out finally. I already took out one part which after re-reading seemed unnecessary and has to be rewritten, so it went under evaluation again but even if it gets featured thanks to your ideas I can improve it a lot (and also my other hubs!)

Cheers

1. koerakoonlane profile image78
      koerakoonlaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks again, after a few minor edits it's a lot better now and its score keeps rising. I'll see how the traffic will change over few days and I'll try to update it once again in few weeks or so. After all, it's one of my first hubs!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)