I've noticed I rarely (never?) see any hubs when I search the 'net

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Casimiroposted 10 years ago

Before Aug. 2012, I'd never heard of hubpages and I'm pretty sure I'd never run across a hub in any of my searches since HP started. The layout is pretty distinctive and it struck me as "foreign" the first time I came to the site. I don't mean that in a negative way, just that it's a layout I think I would remember if I'd seen it before.

It occurred to me today that the above still holds true. I don't think I ever see search results that include hubs for my everyday searches. Maybe it's just that my particular interests don't have a strong intersection with the topics on HP, but I was wondering if others have noticed this, too? Actually, I don't think I see many results from any articles oriented sites, either. 

Obviously, a lot of hubbers get great, constant organic traffic, so the site is popular SE-wise. Does this lack of hubs in SE results mean that HP is still so small that we have plenty of room to grow in our conquest of the Internet? smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do a lot of research and I rarely run into a Hub. I've wondered about that too.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image93
    Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years ago

I don't know if I ran across any before I knew about HubPages. If I did, I don't remember. However, I do occasionally find hubs in my Google search results now. There are plenty of strange looking pages out there, I think HubPage's layout is pretty simple and spare compared to a lot of them. I really don't think I would have noticed.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 10 years ago

It's one of those things that has always mystified me, too.   Even in the days when I was getting thousands of views to my Hubs every day, I still wasn't seeing Hubs in search results.  As you say, maybe it's the kind of subjects we search for. I gave up wondering about it eventually!

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

My experiences are the same as the previous posters. I eventually concluded that the viewers were coming from other dimensions. After all, Google is indeed everywhere. Since the advertisers are apparently fine with it, I'm fine with it.

5. jenb0128 profile image90
    jenb0128posted 10 years ago

I guess I'm in the minority. When I search for pet care information, hubs often come up. I was familiar with HubPages for at least a year or two before I knew that just anybody could sign up and write a hub.

6. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

Seems like I've seen numbers like 1 million hubs as opposed to several trillion articles on the web.  HP, then, is less than one millionth of the web as a whole.

Is it really surprising you don't see many results?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's true. I was just thinking that if people are getting a lot of traffic, then their Hubs must be appearing on page 1 of search results for somebody - so why not me?

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Search for your topics, using keywords that are popular (and that you know are popular because you did your keyword research smile ) and I bet you will find some hubs.

Last fall I did some extensive research on the history of holidays for some hubs I was writing.  I would estimate that 10% of what I read came from HP - out of 50+ sites I'm sure there were at least 5 from HP.  So I do see some, but I also have to say that most of my own research is not through searches but from specific sites.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know I'll find my Hubs if I do that, but I'm not talking about finding my Hubs.  The OP was talking about search results in general.

Yes, I know.  But your own topics are the only ones you know are here and that rank well.  If you know of others, you don't search for them; you just go to them.  Or use the HP search.

I also know that most of my research is for writing hubs, and if the competition is too high (lots of articles of hubs) I won't write and thus won't search for the topic, either.

Really, I think hubs are being shown (traffic says they are if nothing else) but my own search habits preclude finding very many hubs.  I see a few, as I say, but not a whole lot - between the enormous number of other sources and my own habits I don't find it surprising.

7. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Here's a question. I had like 2 bucks last month in my HP account. I thought it was held there til I made 10 bucks... did I actually lose it when the new month started?

No, it's still there.  If you look at last months earning you should see it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)