jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

Sidebars

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image93
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago

You know what would be really great?  If we could eliminate the "must be right-aligned" requirement to apply a background color to sidebars.

In some cases, there are sidebar explanations that when right-aligned, extend beyond the capsule they are intended to accompany, sometimes quite far beyond.  This causes a mis-alignment of the following capsules, and sometimes, a funny-looking gap of white space. This can also interfere with appropriate placement of images.
    In those instances, it would be helpful to have them ("sidebars") follow the capsule, instead of actually being on the side, but still with a colored background, to distinguish them from the rest of the article, and not have them seem to be an odd juxtaposition of text capsules that interrupt the flow of the actual article.  The color would identify them as more of a parenthetical statement.

How about it, Hub Pages?  It seems to me this would be a VERY easy "fix,"  simply a line code command or two.....it should be child's play for any competent programmer...

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much for the recommendation, DzyMsLizzy!

I will bring it up in our next community meeting and see what the team has to say. big_smile

DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Great--thank you, Simone!

1. Simone Smith profile image88
          Simone Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi DzyMsLizzy!
          When I brought this up with the team, they shared that this option was actually available on the site for a while, but was removed due to significan misuse that really detracted from Hubs' formatting and aesthetic appearance.
          So while it is possible for us to do this, we have chosen not to due to the hazards that arise from making the option available. I hope that makes sense! ^_^;;

2. To Start Again profile image84
    To Start Againposted 4 years ago

I've run into this, too. It would be nice if we could use the color to highlight text that is not just along the right side.

3. SimeyC profile image90
    SimeyCposted 4 years ago

Sounds good - can't wait to create a checker board!!!

I think that's the problem HP faces - most will use this correctly - but it could lead to some pretty ugly hubs!

Maybe having the option of 'right' or 'left' coloring but not both?

1. To Start Again profile image84
      To Start Againposted 4 years ago in reply to this

that's a good point. what if we could have the option to 'highlight' only one section of regularly sized/aligned text capsule? and still keep the right align color?

DzyMsLizzyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Now there's a good idea--just as you can use the highlighter "pen" in a word processor.

1. livewithrichard profile image85
          livewithrichardposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, i like that idea!!! But there has to be a limit to how many characters it could cover so it is not abused and overused.

working