Is it OK to leave a broken link on a hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

I have a YouTube video at the bottom of a hub which used to be viewable, but now is not. However, the introductory still picture still shows up and it is very pertinent to the subject. It is of a piece of art that was auctioned at a record breaking price.
    The question is: is it all right to leave the link even though it is broken? I think the still shot (which continues to be viewable) still adds a lot to the hub.

1. AMFredenburg profile image73
      AMFredenburgposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If I were you I'd try to find another still shot and replace it rather than leaving a broken link. It doesn't really reflect well on your work to have broken links.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
        livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree... the still shot may be fine but your readers are expecting a video.  Besides, Google does not favor broken links as it disrupts the index.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. jabelufiroz profile image69
      jabelufirozposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it affects the user. They are clicking on something and ending up in a 404 error page is not good.

Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not an error page, but private content. The initial shot still shows.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rochelle Frank,

It's definitely a good idea to remove broken links from your Hub, as they can get your Hub moderated for being substandard.

Thanks. I removed it. Normally I do it immediately. This one just seemed different.

2. watergeek profile image93
        watergeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What does one do with broken links that are labeled as such, but are not broken? I tested one for the second time in 2 weeks just now, and it took me directly to the linked article.
        Here is the URL: http://watergeek.hubpages.com/hub/Contr … t-Services

That's a good question.
          I have one that's marked copied--even though the copy has been taken down.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image92

Hey watergeek,

This probably means the link was fixed since the last time it was checked. If you've confirmed that the link still works, your account info should update soon.

1. watergeek profile image93

Nope. I first checked it on 6/03, but it was ok. I went ahead and edited a couple other things. It was still showing broken yesterday, though, so I checked it again and it still works.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92

Which link are you having problems with on the Hub?

At the bottom under "For More Information" the first link is highlighted as potentially broken. It's entitled "Save Water and Money With a Landscape Survey."

1. Christy Kirwan profile image92

Thanks for letting me know! I'll look into it and get back to you.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image92

Our engineers are working on it. It should be fixed soon. smile

Thanks, Christy. It's fixed now.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image89

From the two answers so far, I'm thinking I should remove it, though I will need to do some textual revision also.  I did find a still shot of the work online, but it is under copyright. I suppose if someone pays $17 million for a Picasso, they don't want everyone copying it.

1. AMFredenburg profile image73
      AMFredenburgposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you can write to the people who own the copyright and get permission to include it on your Hub in exchange for a link to their site. I've written to a few people for permission, and have had good luck.

That's a thought, but I doubt if Sothebys, the Guggenheim Museum, or the Estate of Pablo Picasso  would be interested in a puny link.
        I appreciate the advice, but I will probably work it out another way.

1. livewithrichard profile image73
          livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Try http://www.wikipaintings.org/  Images are normally copyrighted but they fall under Fair Use as being historically relevant, easily obtainable on the internet, and of low resolution which makes them unsuitable for commercial use.

The one I want is not there, sad  but THANKS for the great link... may be able to use it in the future.

3. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I would definitely get rid of the broken video link, especially to a private video.  Your viewers won't appreciate it.  I try to get rid of broken links as soon as I'm aware of them.  I periodically check my videos to make sure they're still linked ok.

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image40
      Ceres Schwarzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How often do you think we should check the videos in our hubs, like weekly or monthly or something? Also, do you do this by trying to watch the video in your hubs or do you just use the "broken links" link in "my account"?

Whenever I use the "broken links" link, I always get "No broken links found at this time." so I guess that means my hubs have no broken links?

Apparently no broken links have been detected.
        I don't think it's worth the time and effort to go check every one, if it hasn't been brought to your attention. 
        Mine (which I have now removed) was there for months and it seemed to have no adverse effect on the hubscore or number of views.

1. Ceres Schwarz profile image40
          Ceres Schwarzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Okay thanks. Yeah, I guess it really would take much time and effort to go through each and every hub just to check for broken links especially for those writers who have written a lot of hubs already. So, is checking using the "broken links" link an effective method of checking if you really have broken links or not?

4. Rochelle Frank profile image89

OK, thanks to you all-- I know you are probably right and I'll take care of it --as much as I hate to lose the image altogether.

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 10 years ago

i have a hub that has broken link. Haven't fix it yet. However, i did noticed that the hub was not featured when the broken link is unfixed. Is it true?

This particular one has a high hubscore -- about 86, is featured and gets a few views each day.
      I'm still a little on the fence about changing it, but I probably will.

1. PHILLYDREAMER profile image79
        PHILLYDREAMERposted 10 years agoin reply to this

See if there's a duplicate video you can use.  If it was removed, it might have been a copy of someones else video.

I'll check that. I'm about 95% convinced to cut it, but still holding a slight hope. Thanks for the suggestion.

6. barbat79 profile image62
    barbat79posted 10 years ago

I agree that a broken link should be removed.  I believe that is one of the quality assessment tools to id broken links, besides, wouldn't you rather offer a reader a full read instead of the potential frustration of not being able to view the video? 
    The reader would hold you, the author accountable for that.

7. mary615 profile image84
    mary615posted 10 years ago

I had the same problem with a video once.  I really liked that video, but I replaced it rather than leave it as a broken link.  That was a first for me.  I never knew the reason.
    I guess I assumed that if a video was on YouTube, it would be OK to use.  Maybe mine had a copy write issue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)