Getting hubs featured question

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (85 posts)
  1. meloncauli profile image90
    meloncauliposted 11 years ago

Hi
    I have logged in today to find that around 50% of my hubs are not featured. I edited three of them but the not featured symbol still shows. How long does it take for the hubs to become featured again please?
    Thanks

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
      Fawntiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It takes about 2 hours but can take up to 24 hours for an edited Hub to get through the QAP and become Featured. Every time you edit the Hub, the clock is restarted. It looks like you edited several Hubs this morning, all about 2 to 2.5 hours ago. Some of them are Featured and the rest you need to wait for. I think you just need to give it a few more minutes.

2. DanielMarcosi profile image81
      DanielMarcosiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what the answer to the original question is, but in response to "summerberrie", who said that your hubber score must be in the high 90's for your hubs to be featured:  My hubber score has varied between 70 and 85, and is currently at 82. Yet, I have 11 hubs total, and all 11 are featured.

2. Clinton1998 profile image59
    Clinton1998posted 11 years ago

You should have plenty (3) good quality picture, long post(750 words at least) and some polls or quizzes or videos. You shouldn't have too much spam or links in  your hub that seems suspicious. If your hub is feature once and not feature later, it may be due to too low hits. And you shouldn't also post links to restricted sites.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

HP just rejected this...

http://markewbie.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06 … pping.html

Over two thousand words and a hand drawn cartoon.

I think they are very wrong indeed.  It's now on my blog.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just deleted it.  2,571 words.  One stick cartoon.  No spam.  Original content.

Not good enough for QAP, eh?  You want more modules?

Good luck with that.

1. Trushered profile image58
        Trusheredposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8107444_f248.jpg

No need to thank me :-)

2. Millionaire Tips profile image92
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Remember that it is not HP as a whole that rejected it, but an mTurker. If you disagree with the rating, you can ask HP to look at it again.

Yes I thought about that.  I could have added media-rich content and tried again.

I chose not to.  I am not jumping through hoops just for the sake of it.  I do not believe the web needs 1250 words and three pictures and a poll every single time.

It was a 2,500 word article - hopefully humorous and engaging, maybe even searchable.  I think I know what I am at after a couple of years.

This episode, and my previous problem where I had too many pictures and not enough words, are not really what I signed up for.  IF Hubpages recover and can outrank my content elsewhere then I could take the rules.

I don't actually see the point.

3. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just for the record... I didn't do it.

Hi Melissa - I know.  I understand the QAP rules and I admit it was not media rich.  So even the Mturker did the right thing.

That just leaves me in an awkward position.  I deliberately didn't do pics because I thought the writing was sufficient.  Plus there is little point if Google doesn't index, or if visitors don't visit.  In my opinion it was good enough to start with.

IF it had traffic THEN maybe extra media richness called for but a little bit of suck it and see would not have hurt.  It would hardly be a reason for Google to punish the site.

4. Victoria Lynn profile image88
      Victoria Lynnposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I'm not sure what it violates. I don't think it's purely personal. A lot of people could relate. Not sure . . . .

4. meloncauli profile image90

I don't think there's anything much wrong with my hubs. They are simply not getting enough Google views which is why they are not featured. My question is:
    How long does the "not featured" symbol take to turn to "featured" after you have edited your hub? It is now 24 hours since I edited and the symbols are the same.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Which symbol do you have? One is for traffic and the other for quality.

If you edit it the pending symbol should show up. After which is may or may not go to being featured.  If you didn't get the pending symbol I don;t know.  Maybe trying editing it again.

5. meloncauli profile image90

Thanks for your input.
    It's not working just to edit.
    I wish someone from the HP team could put me right on this one!

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How about some URL's?  If you would give us two or three URL's to work with you might get some specific suggestions.

meloncauliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks...now that's strange!
        I just put one of my urls that are apparently not featured in a Google search and they can be accessed fine through Google. I thought when they were not featured they wouldn't be seen by search engines.

6. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 11 years ago

i have 21 hubs unfeatured. Revamped them with polls, videos, quiz and capsules and additional new text and changed the whole hub title. Took the next day to get them featured. Works well for me. Did you add everything?

I completed the apprenticeship and 90% of my un-featured hubs are of the standard that HP suggests.
      I have just checked and one that I edited yesterday is now featured. I will keep checking to see if the other two follow suit.
      Thanks

7. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Well I noticed yesterday or maybe the day before that two of my less popular recipe hubs were idled because of traffic or "engagement" or whatever they mean by that.

I went to take a look at them just now, to see what I might be able to do with them, and now they are featured again. ?????

And you did nothing to them? How strange. They must have picked up suddenly with traffic.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't do a thing to them. They both have 0 views for the last 24 hours, 0 views for the last 7 days, and 2 views for the last 30 days. Very weird.

Hmm, yes, that is strange.

2. profile image0
        summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If your hubber score is 100 then all your hubs become featured again.....actually I think it is 98 and above they become featured. If your hub score drops down to 97 then the low engagement hubs then become unfeatured again.

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ohhhhh, I had no idea about that little detail. Thanks for filling me in. It's difficult to keep up with all this stuff! My score is 100 right now as I write this, but I do have one recipe hub that was not un-idled or re-featured when the other two regained their featured status. Interestingly, it t is one that is (was) considerably more popular than the other two. Oh well, it's not worth worrying over. Hardly anyone ever visits my recipe hubs, anyway. I was just curious what was going on with the instant un-idling.

1. DanielMarcosi profile image81
            DanielMarcosiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol...My hub score is 81 and I have 11 total hubs, and they're all featured. Hubpages must use some logarithm to calculate those things. You're right that it's not worth worrying about.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58

My best guess:

It now takes longer to unfeature hubs with low engagement (traffic) if you have a high hubber score.  The difference is not big, but it is causing some flicker (hubs being featured/unfeatured as hubber score rises and falls)

The hubs that are flickering are borderline traffic.

So even if you have a low hubber score your hubs will remain featured if they pass qap and are getting enough traffic...

I've got one that flickers.  It sucks anyway and no one is ever going to read the thing... Considering unpublishing it myself.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Just a little more moaning on my recent QAP failure.

I wrote two pages at the weekend.

1. 1250 words - one picture - not great - PASSED.

2. 2500 words - one picture - funnier - FAILED.

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I read the one that failed and ended up on your blog. I thought it was below your usual standard to be honest. Given the huge comic potential, I thought you fell too far on the side of 'personal moan about shopping at the weekend' personal blog entry.

I wouldn't given up on it though. There is enough material there for a graphic novel.

I liked the 'list fascist' angle. But I also got the feeling that you really are a list fascist.

Eddie Izzard style:

'Wow a free Porsche with a packet of peanuts!'
      'Peanuts are not on the list'
      'But a Porsche...'
      'Is a Porsche on the list?'

etc.

Thanks Will.  You are right in your judgement.  If QAP now include "How funny was it?" then I have problems.   It was in the Hubs about Shopping section - it was about shopping....

It's just a blip.  It will pass.

edit; I like the Izzard style.

OK.  On reflection it needs more work. 

I will weave in the peanut thing.  Once I got something NOT ON THE LIST and the subsequent feelings of guilt and inadequacy.

I will add a humorous cartoon of a peanut driving a Porsche.

A poll about mental health issues.

Another poll about peanuts.

A quiz to determine if your child is too ugly to go shopping with you.

A picture of a supermarket car park - in case no one knows what they look like.

A picture of my list.

Yeah.  I could have done a whole lot better.  They knew that. That's why they QAPped me.

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

What?! No map?

On a personal note about the map thing... I hate the encouragement to put one in hubs without a disclaimer of *please make it at least vaguely relevant* I see hubs about cats with a map... WTF?  I also see the incredibly stupid *here's where I live* 

Thanks, good to know.  Were I a homicidal maniac, I now have your picture and a map to your house.  Would you like to leave the key under the mat for me? I might not go after you, but the cat you've just written 3000 words about? Yeah, fluffy's a goner.

And at least 5 maps of San Francisco a day...  It must be a happening place.

And while I'm venting...  That whole *use pictures to make your hub more attractive* DOES NOT MEAN put 5 pictures in a row and then put your hub underneath it.  Instead of a wall of text, you now have a wall of pictures AND a wall of text.  Guess what?  It ain't no prettier. 

What really makes my day is when those five pictures are of cars and your hub is about fluffy.

Please, Please throw all that into a poem about Fluffy!  That's be great!  Make it a rhyming haiku with 47 syllables. Bold half of it, italicize the other half and put some links to SEO service in there too... 15 would be about right. It'd be great if you capitalized every other word for no apparent reason whatsoever.

Then throw in a ratings capsule, a poll asking us how much we love cats named Fluffy (make sure at least 3 of the 5 choices are EXACTLY the same) and a link to how we, too, can join HubPages and write about OUR cats.

Then copyright it... The bigger the text the better. Don't attribute ANY of the pictures, but if you absolutely have to using the phrase "Google Image" is your very best bet.

Then... when you hit the publish button... wait 5 minutes and then go to the forums to ask why it isn't featured yet. THEN, two hours later when it has a full moon beside it come BACK to the forums. Now it's time to accuse the MTurk worker of being an ESL moron. It helps if you say something about 5 cents per hub.

There... that's the real way to get your hub featured. /rant

Note: The opinions expressed in the above post are mine alone and in no way reflect HP's opinions. The hub appearing in this post is fictitious. Any resemblance to a real hub, featured or unfeatured, is purely coincidental... unless your have a cat named Fluffy and write exceedingly long hubs about said cat... then yeah, I'm talking about you.

A genius post.  I am surrounded by people much funnier than me who don't waste their time on hubs that try to be funny.

Loved it Melissa.

Melissa is never banal.

Will, I spend hours every day just laying around being banal.

Ask my kids.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58

Mark, I am in no way funnier than you. Seriously. Not even close.

The cheeseburger gazelle thing had me laughing, literally, for days.

Mainly cause I amuse easily, but that's beside the point smile

BTW... I do so have two hubs written especially for humour... neither gets traffic.

2. profile image0

rotf

3. aa lite profile image85
                aa liteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Have you considered a book "memoirs of an Mturk rater" or at least a series of hubs?  They would be brilliant!

LOL! Limited readership there.

Besides for them to be really funny, I'd have to give information about specifics that might make it able to identify the hub. Which is kinda uncool.

I will give this thought... One should never use a translation program on a recipe hub for chicken breasts. I almost had to get a new laptop after that one... I was drinking a coke when I read it.

4. ChitrangadaSharan profile image91
                ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL! 10 on 10 on this post of yours, MelissaBarrett! The 'NOTE' at the end is equally witty.

2. aa lite profile image85

I think a map of your route from home to supermarket is absolutely essential!

I thought that post was very funny actually, but quite long.  And I always love stickmen pictures , so the more the better. 

The problem with the QAP, is they don't do humour, unless it is classed as cw.  If you write a hub in the shopping section, they expect a serious guide to shopping.  Tbh I think your hub failed the "substance" test.

Thanks guys - you are ALL great.  Advice, support, etc.

2. profile image0

Wait... are you asking for a map from *my house to the supermarket? Cause we've only just met and that seems a little skeevy to me.

What's "CW" btw?

1. aa lite profile image85

Nope of course not i wanted a map from Marks house to the supermarket because i intend to stalk him

"CW" is creative writing.  I am pretty sure that if Mark classified the hub as CW it would have passed.

What's 'skeevy' btw?

1. profile image0

You'll have to get in line behind me.

skeevy... like creepy or possibly distasteful something along those lines I spose.

But I don't have many stalkers as of late... if you get really bored, you can stalk me and we'll make a day of it. I get lonely.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image77
      Marina Lazarevicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. Mind sharing the URL for Hub #1 that passed?

Others have already pointed this out, but I also suggest categorizing your [humor-like] Hubs as humor. It will increase the chances that they pass the QAP. MTurkers still need to mark the Hub as CW when rating (i.e., recognize that they are humor Hubs), but if they are categorized as such by Hubbers, there is a higher chance that they will be marked correctly by MTurkers. Shockingly enough, sometimes people have a hard time gauging one's tone on the internet. yikes It helps to let them know what your intent is. Just a thought!

Humor and other CW Hubs do not need to be media rich to get high ratings: http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#creative

Lol - opening myself up for another QAP... http://markewbie.hubpages.com/hub/internet-apology

I hear you about the humor section.  Yep - anything can get through there.

1. profile image0

There's a Z in apologize.

Not while the Queen is still on her throne there isn't.

1. profile image0

lol... how long could that last?

Long enough for this thread to disappear.

1. profile image0

Yeah.. she seems like she doesn't move along quickly.

How do I find that blog of yours that I wrote on today? i want to see if you wrote back. and don't write back now, cause Ill see the time and know.

I can't keep spamming my stuff - I'll get shot.  If you were to enter my name into Google Search and choose the BlogSpot option.  I think I made a fairly short response to your excellent comment.

9. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

If that was in 'shopping' they probably QAPed it for casting doubt on the one true religion.

By the way, have ever seen this: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

Well written, well drawn and several million views.

Perhaps all you need is a mountain of work on your shopping expedition.

(I should say that the link involves exposure to some profanity of a wholesome nature).

Thanks Will.  That is fantastic.  Funny, sad, brilliant.

Seems to me I need to spend ten times as long - at least - on creating something of real worth.  I tend to just knock up a lazy idea and slap a couple of pics on it.

It's not easy this internet game.

10. Will Apse profile image89

Yeh, but my 92 is all muscle.

1. profile image0

lol.

Do you scrabble, or are you like those other Brits who say they did that when they were 5 and have outgrown it?

Xi jo qi in the triples...

1. profile image0

That's hot.

Ok, but do you scrabble online?

If it has anything to do with Facebook, I'm a conscientious objector.

1. profile image0

Then alas, we shall never play... I would have beaten you anyway.

11. Will Apse profile image89

I think you probably would, actually. I play the comp which is patient with my short term memory lapses. People would just think I'm a moron.

Have you ever thought about getting a more interesting job?

1. profile image0

lol... my job is super challenging, believe it or not. I supervise the front end at a grocery store and do customer service. Even though I hate it sometimes, Ive enjoyed it more than any job Ive ever had cause it's always changing, always crazy busy and my ADD type personality gets bored really quick. Plus my boss is great so... IDK. Why?

I don't know, you seem to have more brain power than you know what to do with.

1. profile image0

Ive never been accused of that before. lol

The talents must work...

1. profile image0

What talents?

There is something buzzing around in there crying out for a role in life. But I don't know what it is!

Anyway, I have a memory lapse coming on. And the cat needs its ears scratched. Or that might be my wife. Not much bigger than a cat and hard to tell apart at distance.

1. profile image0

Have I just been analysed? How cool is that? I feel like I owe you something now. If you come up with any ideas, let me know, I am up for a new challenge. smile

12. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

And in realize.

OK, you made your point.  Someone decided English was not complicated enough so they changed the spellings.

1. profile image0

Trolleys, is that what you push your food around in? We call them carts... or in the south, ppl call them buggies, but I don't like that.

13. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

There was only 4 blogs there, which one was it?

Never mind... I found it... why is a grocery store one called "Poke it with a stick?"

http://markewbie.blogspot.co.uk/
      Its that one.  I am going to get banned for self-publicity.

2. profile image0

Oh my word, I must have some kind of damage to one of the lobes of my brain... Im glad you posted it.

Wait a minute... it changed... a different one was called poke it with a stick then the grocery store one was. sad
      What are you doing to me?

I may have to go lie down now.

1. profile image0

It's getting up time there. I know Im not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know its getting up time in England.

Well, clever-clogs, you would also know that the English people like to have an early siesta.  Having spent two hours on the internet removing all the "Z"'s left in by silly Americans - we will salute a picture of the Queen and lay in the blazing sun drinking Pimms.

1. profile image0

"clever clogs" hahahaha... that's the funniest post Ive seen yet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)