Question

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Do we get credit for the visits to a new hub while the pending arrow is still going round? Cause I always get a ton of hits at first, then the hub is featured, the hits slow way down and then it is accepted. My spinney arrow has been at it quite some time this time.

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
      Marina Lazarevicposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We always count Hub views, but ads are turned off on Hubs while they are in pending mode.

http://hubpages.com/faq/#adsense-does-not-appear

2. nanette bette profile image60
      nanette betteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The same thing happened to me. So I went back and re wrote different parts of my hub re checked what I had wrote. I got some feed back.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

And why is this?

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm just guessing, but they are probably disabled while pending so that the hub can be evaluated on its own merit through QAP without any ads as a distraction.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think in the QAP interface the raters use the ads are automatically removed (whether the hub is new or old), along with identifying information about the author and other things that could pose a distraction.  So I don't think ads are removed for that purpose.

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76

The main reason is to prevent Hubs from being crawled by search engines while they are NOINDEX.  The search and AdSense bots use a shared crawling infrastructure. 

Second, it gives us some time to identify and deal with ad safety issues.  Hubs that don't pass the QAP are (probably) more likely to contain undetected policy violations.

3. psycheskinner profile image84

That doesn't make sense to me.  Existing hubs get QAPped all the time and they have ads.

1. profile image0

For hubs that go through QAP after being published for the first time, the ads are off.  Hubs that go through QAP long after they have been published retain the ads.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is what I said.

My question ism why have them off for new hubs? Some of them get a lot of traffic.

1. profile image0

Oh. Maybe HP figured they'd lose too much revenue if they took the ads off of everything that was going through QAP -- old hubs are a safer bet since if they've lasted this long, they must not be too bad (on average, it's not too hard to find glaring exceptions.)  But they feel they can't risk it with new hubs anymore.

Still it would be nice if "trusted authors" with a high feature rate could have ads while their hubs are pending.  Some of mine also get a burst of traffic right after publication.

4. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 10 years ago

Either way, it makes no difference in the grand scheme of things... It's not likely anyone is going to break the bank in 24 hrs on a new hub.  Ads being disabled have no effect on the hub getting indexed.

5. psycheskinner profile image84

Hubs in general won't break the bank.  But I would still like to know.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Purely a guess, but perhaps to make sure that it isn't obviously against Adsense TOS?  Turkers probably wouldn't catch much, but might catch obvious violations.

Yep, that's one reason. smile

6. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 10 years ago

I don't share anything until the hub goes through the process of being approved. Then when it is, I share it with my friends etc. You don't earn money from fellow hubbers anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

Of course if fellow hubbers share it on Pinterest, Twitter, or Facebook before it is approved, you lost some income

1. chasmac profile image89
      chasmacposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You mean you don't earn from Hubbers while the hub is pending, right? But can you confirm that after it's featured, you earn from Hubbers' visits if you're in the HP ad program? Obviously that's for impressions - not clicks, which are a no no. The reason I think that hubbers' views earn money is because my recent 'Hub of the day' earned me a tidy sum (relatively speaking of course). I had record views and record daily earnings that lasted a couple of days. All of those increased views  were from Hubbers.

7. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 10 years ago

Views from other hubbers don't count?  Darn.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Not for the Hubpage Ad Program anyways. Hubbers are discouraged from clicking on the Google Ads of others too. The reason being that Hubpages gets 40% of the ad time. If all people from Hubpages click on Google Ads, it could get the company in trouble, possibly the rest of us too.

8. nanette bette profile image60
    nanette betteposted 10 years ago

I did not know that. Thank you

9. profile image0

Well hey, that kinda sucks. I don't get a lot of traffic, I don't post on FB.
    I usually get close to 50 hits within the first 24 hours. Thats a lot for me. Then it's back to reality. Wouldn't it be nice if I could actually be earning whilst published.

1. profile image0
      Ghaelachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

@Beth37
      We must be in the same boat. I generally get a lot less than 50 each day, and at this moment, Tuesday 10:30am I have 18 visits. Don't know why. Everyone say's they think my hubs are good, but apparently not good enough.

1. WalterPoon profile image68
        WalterPoonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ghaelach, I thought you were talking about money when you said 50 and was wondering whether you were referring to US$50 a day or 50 cents a day until I found out that you were talking about number of visits!!!

2. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I spose it has to do with drumming up traffic, and where folks find us on Google. I assume I am pretty far down the list. Maybe that will change in time.

10. profile image0

Dear lovely ppl at HP's...

My hub, Words... the Greatest Aphrodisiac, is still pending... I think it has been 3 days now? Not sure, but there have been 60+ hits. (That is like 1.5 million in Mark Ewbie terms.) I would so enjoy collecting revenue from this hub considering the moment it publishes, views will drop off to 3 per week. When will the spinney arrow stop spinning?

There was an issue with processing the QAP queues and it was fixed yesterday. It looks like you edited your Hub while the QAP was broken which is why it's been pending for so long. It should go through within 24 hours, but hopefully sooner. Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused. hmm

1. profile image0

Oh! I feel so much better knowing. Thanks! It's no inconvenience at all, it's just nice to have a reason. I so appreciate you letting me know. smile

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Lol Beth. 

Congrats on your 100.

1. profile image0

It means Im better than you... I mean THANKS MARK! wink

11. psycheskinner profile image84

In my personal opinion, if pending is going to take three days and more, lets just leave things unpublished until they are assessed?

1. profile image0

I thought the point of the spinney arrow was that they *were being assessed in order to be published or not published.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is to assess whether the will be indexed and made visible to Google.  They are published the second they enter QAP, they just have no ads and so earn no money.

1. profile image0

Right, I get that... it just seems it's taking quite a while.
          (and it appears I wrote it on the 18th, so I guess it's only been two days, but Im used to seeing it decided on within a much shorter time.)

12. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Pending is supposed to be very brief time these days. Someone from staff said two hours. My last hub went from pending to being indexed by Google in one day.

1. profile image0

Yeah, that has been my experience... I feel like its "stuck".

13. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

Maybe reviewing old hubs has created a backlog.

1. profile image0

Huh, maybe that's the issue. Thanks. smile

14. LCDWriter profile image92
    LCDWriterposted 10 years ago

That does seem like it's a bit long for it to be in pending.  Have you checked your email?  Last time this happened to me it ended up one of my photos was watermarked (it wasn't but they though it was) so it stuck in pending until I fixed it.

1. profile image0

No, no email, thanks though.

15. profile image0

It's featured! Woo hoo, so relieved. Thanks again. smile

smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)