Is anyone using the Blog This button?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Denny Lyon profile image61
    Denny Lyonposted 15 years ago

I started using this blogging link to send my own hubs out of the hub nest.  Soon, as I was going to make comments for my friends list I ended up reading other good hubs and decided to share theirs on my blogs too. 

Then the blog idea started evolving to help promote more reads and exposure for favorite fellow hubbers besides myself.  Suddenly, my blogs are looking like fun article directories with reviews! smile  OK, so I'm having fun doing this. 

Just wondered if anyone else is using this feature?  I really like how HubPages and Blogger interface so this is incredibly easy to do!  The best part is that it redirects folks back to hubpages and I don't have to worry about copyright issues because it isn't a copy and paste but a link to the author. 

Flickr has made it easy to blog to my blogs too which is how I end up notifying my flickr friends of having placed one of their photos in a hub.  The old way was to spend way too much time going thru at least 5 clicks to post an email notification.  The flickr photographers sure were shocked when I took the time to let them know and thank them for placing a photo in creative commons.  I sure have been making a lot of friends over there lately...!

2. Mike Hunt profile image60
    Mike Huntposted 15 years ago

I'm not even sure how that works or where it is. I would however love to know how and where so maybe I could use to my advantage also.

3. Denny Lyon profile image61

Hi, Mike, it's right at the end of your/their hub under the Share This button where you find the social sites like Digg and StumbleUpon and Facebook.  All you do is click on Blog This and up pops a dialog box to fill out as you please and decide which Blogger blog it goes to (I have 7 so there are choices!). 

It does not link to any other blogging platform like Typepad or Wordpress if that's what you may have - but it sure is a convenience to link on over to Blogger! 

You can even put it into draft form so you can edit - sometimes I can't think of anything to say and leave it for later, also I like to go find a photo to post alongside it.  Photos always attract more attention to a post and make it more visually interesting.

If you are still not sure how it plays out, click on my name, go to my profile page and scroll down to find one of my blogs.  Click on one (except the photo one as not many hubpages ones there, it's mostly flickr) and go check out a post and then click on a hub posted on my blog and it will take you right back here! 

Often I place my hubs up on a social site from my blogs rather than directly from hubpages.  It seems to have driven some traffic to my blogs with the beginnings of RSS subscribers - but these blogs are so new it will take time to assess properly. Can you tell I like to experiment? smile

4. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 15 years ago

Hey that's pretty cool never even noticed it ~ Thanks!

5. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

Hey that is a great idea, I like the way you are using the blog this tool. I will have to try it out. I had a blog I was using on blogger but I have had a hard time maintaining it with posts, so this way you are mentioning seems like it will solve that problem. Thanks!

6. bgamall profile image69
    bgamallposted 15 years ago

This is a big time saver. You can blog all the hubs you want on your own blogs. Clever!

7. Julie-Ann Amos profile image63
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

I blog all my hubs to a blogger account and just list the first paragraph then a "Read full story" link and a nice picture.  I have no idea if it gives me any traffic but it does give me a backlink instantly

8. ilovehubbing profile image59
    ilovehubbingposted 15 years ago

The other thing I do is put more articals by this writer at the end of each hub and add my rss feed. Shoudl help to get my new posts linked from the higher traffic old ones.

M

9. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 15 years ago

I tried it yesterday and it works ok.  Would be better if you automatically copied a few lines (or first paragraph of the hub) instead of just the title and link tho.

10. Denny Lyon profile image61

That's exactly what I do.  I like to copy the parts of the text that best fits my blog - not always in the first paragraph.  All you have to do is highlight your specific text and this tool automatically copies it for you.

Some of the usual linking - like on social sites - only copies a certain number of characters, leaving off full sentences that makes the post look odd.

Remember, just link it in draft form and you can go back later to fill out the post to the level you desire.  I always add a photo, usually from flickr Creative Commons with attribution.

I have noticed more traffic from my blogs to those specific hubs in the stats section above each hub.  Have you put your posts up on a social site so that they go to your blog to get to your hub?

I finally started using RSS feeds this week on all my hubs and have noticed more reads per day of each hub.  Cool!

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image63
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You mean you socially bookmark the blog denny and not the hubpage?

Hadn't thought of that

11. gbrgn profile image60
    gbrgnposted 15 years ago

Thanks for the info. I completely overlooked the "share this" feature at the bottom of the hub. I just created a quick blogspot page with the first two paragraphs and a link to my hubpage.

Quick and easy. I even cleaned up the layout and it looks nicer now.

I have a few more articles on research studies in my head, so it will be updated infrequently as I write my hubs.

Denny Lyonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hi, gbrgn

Sometimes it takes a little bit of playing with the layout to clean it up later, so a preview ability as you Blog This would be good too.

Another feature I wish HP would add to the Blog This is the ability to upload a photo or video immediately instead of waiting to go back to the blog to do so as well as choose what date you want the post to publish.  Would save a whole lot of time!

12. profile image0
    Kellys Writingposted 15 years ago

Hey Denny,

I use the Blog This button frequently. I have 2 blogs and I send a majority of the hubs I write to my personal blog. Anything that I write that relates to my online store, I send to both blogs.

Best Wishes

Denny Lyonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

hi, kelly, I see you caught on quick on how to use this share feature! smile  Sometimes, when I blog a hub to several blogs I'll choose different portions to quote and write a post that slants to the blog theme, choose different photos too.

13. Denny Lyon profile image61

Hi, Julie-Ann, that would be a "Hell, yeah!" on social site marking my hub's blog post - social marking the actual blog post -  from my blog rather than directly from hubpages.  it helps on sites like stumbleupon where you can saturate a domain. 

it also drives some traffic to my blogs and of course on over to hubpages too - win-win!  my blogs are new so time will tell.  I adopted this experimental idea two months ago and my returning visitors have doubled since then.  that could be several factors. 

I use AdSense less for thinking I'm going to get rich on it but rather as these guys generate lots of reports for me for free so I can track page views and which hubs/blogs are doing well and when.

14. vintage chic profile image65
    vintage chicposted 15 years ago

Hey everyone-

Love the button! But I was so excited, I loaded the Hubpage on a blog page of mind that really wasn't relevant. I need to change that(I can, right?) at Blogger, so my Hubpages show up at my Blogger pages on the same topic.

15. profile image0
    Iphigeniaposted 15 years ago

This is great - I've just started a blogger blog for this very purpose I've added links to one of my hubs and will continues to add over the next few days.

Can we all share our blogger url here and use them to add each other to a blogroll???

Here's mine : I Hub on Hub Pages

Thanks for the advice.

16. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

Is blogging other people's hubs as well (1) bad or (2) good?

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

well good, anything that brings traffic to Hubpages, is good for the community, of which you are a part.

i havent checked if it creates the same link code yet - but the "link to this page" will bring you benefits too if you choose to share that link instead on your blogs

17. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

I have always wondered about this (whether in "blog-this-ing" my own or someone else's Hubs to one of my blogs):  (Does anybody here know about it?)

I've read the Google webmaster guidelines about content/quality; and the stuff about "cloaking" and "doorway pages".  On the one hand, I know what they're saying.  On the other, I'm not entirely sure of whether, say, too much "blogging-this" on any blog would be considered a violation.  They mention something like "sending people to sites other than the one they selected" (or words like that).

My blogs have their own stuff on them (writing, pictures, links, etc.).  Suppose I wanted to be lazy and just write on HubPages and "blog this" my stuff on over to my blogs from now on - would that be a violation?

Or, what if I have, say, a blog about red cars (which I don't).  What if I had some stuff written just for blog, lots of links to any articles I've written anywhere online about red cars, and then a ton of links to other people's articles about red cars?  (In other words, only a little bit of writing on the blog but tons to of links).

Does anyone know whether any of the above kind of stuff would even remotely be considered either "cloaking" or "doorway page"? 

Does anyone know what the difference is, the balance of material, or the line is?

Is the difference whether I have tons of stuff about, say, red cars on the red cars blog - rather than, say, having a "slim" red cars blog but adding tons of links to non-related writing?

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

link cloaking is the process of hiding a link via a redirection code on your server or Url service such as tinurl,

ie. turning hubpages.com/profile/lisa to  tinyurl.com/lisashubs

this alone is not an issue and is quite normal when one is using affiliate or tracking links -as it makes it shorter and easier to handle.

it becomes a problem when someone has a link that says  tinyurl.com/oldmcdonaldsfarm  which actually leads to wvvw.sexwithfarmanimals.com

that would be inappropriate cloaking, LOL

BUT in the case of Google TOS - cloaking is the act of showing one set of content to a search engine, and another content to a user - You are not doing this!

Unless you are familiar with htaccess codes and php scripting/ visitor specific java script, with IP or referral settings?

such as these: http://www.evolt.org/ultimate_htaccess_examples

Doorway pages as Google sees them

'Doorway pages are typically large sets of poor-quality pages where each page is optimized for a specific keyword or phrase. In many cases, doorway pages are written to rank for a particular phrase and then funnel users to a single destination."

they said it better than I could...truthfully, If you were making doorway pages or using cloaking scripts, you would know you were doing it!

even if your page had nothing but blogthis created links, it wouldnt be optimized for any keywords - Im pretty sure  "single destination" would not apply to a large domain like hubpages, but certainly would be irrelevant without the intentional task of optimizing for a specific keyword or phrase

18. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 15 years ago

Thank you, sunforged.  You explained it far better than Google's site does.  I had completely misinterpreted the meaning the "cloaking", and I was concerned that a blog with too little "meat" and too many links would be seen (by Google) as a "doorway" (or at least some other against-the-rules thing).  Again, thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)