How much "engagement" do we need in order to have hubs stay featured?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years ago

Nobody has ever been able to give me an exact number, but I would really like to have one.  All I hear is that the number is low...well, how low?  Anybody know?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Unknown information - it has never been made public.  The closes I've seen is a "handful" of (search engine) visits per month.  I suppose keeping it secret prevents gaming the algorithm by getting friends to search and visit any hub that is known to be close to going unfeatured due to low traffic.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think there was a blog post or something at one time that said at least 30 per month from search engines. I have some still going though that get a lot of Pinterest traffic and none from search engines, so it may have been changed.

2. Good Guy profile image83
    Good Guyposted 10 years ago

I checked my featured hubs.  The lowest is having 5 views for 30 days.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

See Simone's answer to a forum I posted on this topic a few months back. She said it was a few views over a two month period:
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/108906

TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Janshares:  This is really good info...thanks.  I always have a number of hubs that score 5 or less per month and when I see numbers like that, I go in and try to rework the hub.  I just wondered how low was really "low" and how long it had to remain low to become unfeatured.  This gives a bit of a guide, so thank you.

4. profile image0
    LeighMCposted 10 years ago

All my hubs are featured and some of them have had very little 'engagement'.
    Some, like a book review for example, has had very few visitors, yet still remains featured for some reason.

Sorry - this isn't really answering your question, I know. :-)

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Mine are staying featured with at least 2 outside hits per 30 days.  That seems to be sufficient.

psycheskinner:  this is good to know.  I rarely have hits that low, but when I do, I go in and rework the hub.  It doesn't always help, and when it doesn't, I delete the hub.  Sometimes there is just too much competition out there to make keeping the hub online a viable option.  If only 2 people are reading it per month, there's no money or satisfaction in it for me!

6. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 10 years ago

Remember that "engagement" is not traffic, but instead refers to visitor behavior while on a page.

Engagement can be measured in various ways:

-- Time spent on the page
    -- How much of the page did the visitor read?
    -- How many links, ads, poll choices, slideshows, or other interactive features did the visitor click on?
    -- Did the visitor comment?
    -- Did the visitor share the page on any social media platforms via the social share buttons?
    -- Did the visitor like the page enough to click on a link pointing to some other part of Hubpages?

These are all "visitor engagement" factors which various online writing, marketing and SEO experts routinely throw out when discussing "visitor engagement." I'm not sure which of these Hubpages' algorithm measures to arrive at our hubscore, but indirect evidence points to one in particular.

I've got an accolade for "writ[ing] particularly engaging hubs which visitors love to read from start to finish." 

That suggests that the second factor I listed above is almost certainly a part of Hubpages' "engagement" score. It's measured by checking whether the visitor scrolled to the bottom of the page.

(Insert my usual riff about "traffic isn't everything, but everything flows from traffic -- you can't get visitor engagement without visitors, but it's possible that visitors and engagement are scored separately, so you might be able to get featured with fewer visitors if your engagement score is higher, or need more visitors to stay featured if your visitors tend to leave after the first screen!)

GreekGeek:  I never thought of that, but you make a very important point.  I have the same accolade as you despite the fact that I get very few comments.  My very best hub traffic wise has not one comment on it!  However, I think this is because comments do not come from outside readers as I do not believe there is a mechanism in place that allows this.  So, if the majority of reads comes from search engines, it would stand to reason that the concept of how many comments one has would not play a huge part in determining engagement.  Am I wrong about this?

I've just been informed that outside readers CAN comment...this is a big surprise to me!

2. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

In this context engagement does mean traffic  though HP have said that in time they do want to incorporate actual engagement (as you've described) into the metric.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

We have been told in previous threads that it means primarily visits from visitors entering via search engines per month.  They should probably call it "traffic".

7. HollieT profile image82
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

I think it was on a blog post that I read about dozen hits per month would keep a hub featured.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It must have been reduced since then.  I have featured hubs that haven't had that much traffic in quite a few months.

1. HollieT profile image82
        HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure they also said that those hubbers with higher scores would be given extra latitude and new hubs would be given a longer period of time to garner traffic.

8. Dale Hyde profile image81
    Dale Hydeposted 10 years ago

Just my two cents worth.  I logged in today, as I do several times a week (simply to unpublish and move material HP deems not good enough) and sure enough I had three more hubs "Not Featured - Engagement."   I figure by the end of the year I will not be on HP because they continue to deem my content unworthy.

So far, now, I do believe they have killed close to 50 of my hubs that I have had to move elsewhere.  It is amazing, however, that once moved, they move up in the searches and get plenty of views.

This leaves me to believe, as I have mentioned previously, something is not working right here on HP.... I could take several guesses but will leave that to the "experts" here on the forums, lol.

I do know that my material has not changed and does better elsewhere.  I just do not get the revenue that I would get on HP if they would stop screwing around with all their so called tweaking and slapping the no-index tag on hubs that is a sure death if left here.

So, where are you moving your hubs?  I hear that most of the other content type sites are having similar difficulties to HPs.

9. profile image0
    LeighMCposted 10 years ago

Yes, to where do you move them? Squidoo?

1. Good Guy profile image83
      Good Guyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I find that HP is still the best.

2. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I move them to my blog.  You can view that blog from my HP profile up there in the upper right.  There is a link.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)