Do you share your new or updated hubs with your followers?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)
  1. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

In our hubfeeds, there's a 'share' button under the hub for sharing hubs with our followers. Are you okay with using this button to share your own hubs with your followers or are you too modest? Is it appropriate to do or is it seen as similar to sharing your hub links which is frowned upon?
    http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8205414_f248.jpg

1. AMFredenburg profile image73
      AMFredenburgposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've only got two hubs right now, lol, so I can't speak for my own practices, but I figure that's what the button is there for, so why not share with people who've chosen to follow you? I say go for it.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would not consider most new hubs to be "breaking news"

Of course, you can spam your followers as much as you wish, as long as you do not whine when they unfollow you.

2. janshares profile image91
        jansharesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not comfy with it, AMFredenburg. I don't think that's what it's for. I've only seen one hubber use it for their own hubs since I've been here. This is why I posted, to see what others think about it. So many rules in this community are unwritten, but punishment is still meted out, whether by form email, moderation, banning, lashing in the forums, etc. hmm

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't.  For me it's a case of respecting my followers' choices. 

Followers are already notified of my new Hubs by email, if they've chosen that option.   

If my followers have decided NOT to be notified of my new Hubs, for whatever reason, then I feel it would be rude of me to shove them under their noses in their feed.   

If they have been notified by email, then I'd feel pushy if I told them again - kinda like, if you didn't read this the first time, you'd better read it now!

Thanks, Marisa.

3. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have done this a few times--not everyone sees everything in their feed when it comes out. They were humor hubs and I thought they might give someone a chuckle.No one "unfollowed" me because of this (that I noticed). I do not think it is spamming.

Spamming does have a negative connotation when that wasn't the intent in sharing.

2. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

No. I have a great aversion to spamming people and being spammed.

Actually, that is the main reason I NEVER log into the feed page. I have no interest whatsoever in getting hubs shoved into my face.

K, thanks.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Come to think of it, I haven't spammed anybody in a long time... big_smile

4. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 11 years ago

HubPages sends a notification to your followers if they have opted in to receive notifications from HubPages.  I think that's enough notice that you've published something new.

Good point, Writer Fox. So using the share button, in some cases my be overkill, eh?

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
      LoisRyan13903posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

This thread caused me to contemplate sharing one of my updated humor hubs. But, alas. Not sufficiently inspired at the moment.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I would never share a hub on HubPages.  They already saw it once.  Twice would be awful.

I have shared on Reddit (banned), Pinterest (banned) and occasionally on Facebook (no friends).

I now dedicate myself to producing obscene cartoons in the hope of finding a comfortable life in prison.

lol, so silly smile

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image80
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I always assume followers will see new hubs as they're published.  I sometimes share hubs written by others (especially if I spot a new writer who could benefit from the exposure).  Only rarely have I shared my own work - maybe if it's related to something going on in current events or something.  I agree that sharing can be spamming - I actually unfollowed a person who primarily writes poems because every single day she shared a ton of her own poems here, and on FB.  Over and over.  I think even blocked her on FB.  It made me crazy.  I feel sorry for the fact that Google's changes undoubtedly caused a huge decline in her traffic, but spamming us relentlessly isn't the solution.

Thanks, Marcy.

8. LoisRyan13903 profile image60
    LoisRyan13903posted 11 years ago

I only use the share button for my Twitter followers.  That is because I have thousands of followers and if somebody unfollows me, I won't know, plus I get new followers each day.  But I think when you publish a new hub, they are going to know regardless since they are following you.  Over sharing, in my opinion would be SPAM.  Maybe if you update a hub and it has new information and useful, it would be fine to share

I guess it's hard to gauge, and you never can tell what the response will be regardless of your intent.

9. srsddn profile image90
    srsddnposted 11 years ago

I would prefer using FaceBook, Twitter and Pinterest rather than pressing the button of sharing my own Hubs. However, I do it for others whenever I find a great Hub to share with them. I would leave my Hubs to be shared by other Hubbers who are my followers.

Thanks, srsddn.

10. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 11 years ago

I see a lot of people sharing their own hubs but just can't bring myself to do it.  I know it can help increase traffic but it just seems too boastful.  Honestly I've never thought of doing it with a "revamped" hub but still wouldn't.

I'm not comfortable with it either, tillsontitan. I guess it's not against TOS but responses from veterans seem to lean toward - not a good idea. It's so hard to know what's appropriate anymore, especially in the current climate.

11. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

Personally speaking, I have actually unfollowed perfectly nice hubbers, simply because they have spammed my feed with shares.
    Those who also share the HOTD can hang your heads in shame! HP already spam hubbers with it, we don't need to see it in the feed too.
    I would only share my own (old) hub if I had greatly enhanced it, and felt it was somehow newsworthy. I don't think that has ever happened.
    New hubs not at all, never.
    HP has already notified my followers by email, and that is enough sharing. If they were interested, they would have read it, and not need to read it again.

What strengthens this site, and all of us, is commenting on other hubs. Every time you leave a comment, you leave a link to yourself, because your username is hyperlinked back to your profile.
    Help your fellow hubber out by making a useful comment. Mention his main keywords, and try to say something sensible.
    "Great hub. Up and shared" may sound good, but is no help at all to the hubber.

12. B. Leekley profile image85
    B. Leekleyposted 11 years ago

I read long ago -- I forget if it was somewhere official at HubPages or from an experienced hubber -- that sharing your own hubs with followers is allowed but discouraged and if done, should be done rarely and judiciously. I think I shared mine early on but not since reading that and learning better. I do, as recommended, share my new and substantially revised hubs on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest.

I do share others' hubs of exceptionally high quality with my followers and (if not "talking shop" about hubbing or creative or freelance writing) with social networking sites. A good or better hub rates a thumb up. Only exceptional ones (very interesting content very well expressed with a good heart showing through) also rate a share.

I appreciate it when hubbers whom I am following share others' high quality hubs with me. That way I read excellent hubs I would otherwise miss, and I often discover hubbers whose work I admire and want to follow. Naturally those are hubs that I am likely to share in turn.

My hope is to learn to write a hub at least sometimes that other hubbers admire enough to gladly share it.

Very well said, B.Leekley. Thank you so much for that. I learned something new about how to comment effectively. Didn't know about the keyword thing. Now I understand why a hubber was commenting in my hubs in a certain way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)