jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)

Re Order Hubs on the Profile Page

1. profile image0
    Ben Blackwellposted 4 years ago

I have been publishing a bunch of poetry over the last few days, and I feel that I will be publishing that more often than my other more in-depth nonfiction articles.  Because of this, my profile page will display a bunch of poetry mixed with another kind of hub here or there, then have a bunch of non-fiction hubs at the bottom (since I wrote those first).

I suggest that there should be a way to re-order or re-organize the hubs displayed on the profile page.

Thanks
    Ben Blackwell

1. CraftytotheCore profile image84
      CraftytotheCoreposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That is a good idea.  Like by categories?

1. profile image0
        Ben Blackwellposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Categories, groups, or perhaps even in a user-defined order.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image76
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This has been previously requested and discussed in our community meeting.
      We currently have no near term plans to implement any changes to the profile layout

1. profile image0

Can you recommend a solution for my problem, then?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image76
          Matthew Meyerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Some authors create multiple profiles in order to have each cover a specific topic.
          http://hubpages.com/faq/#multipleaccounts

2. Glenn Stok profile image100
          Glenn Stokposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ben, You can add a paragraph to your profile description that instructs the visitor to click the "Show" link and select your poetry category.

I used to offer this option to let the visitor select the specific category of their interest. But I do have to admit it doesn't work too well, because people have trouble finding the "Show" link. But at least it's a solution for now.

Maybe someday HubPages can make the "Show" link into a button icon to make it more obvious. Or maybe simply change it to "Find Specific Categories" instead of Show. Matthew, if you read this, what do you think?

1. profile image0

The problem is that even if I do that, that section also has some non poetry in it.  Thanks for the suggestion, however.

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
              Marisa Wrightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That shouldn't be the case, because all poetry should be in the Poetry category.  Otherwise it's at risk of getting unpublished for being too short.

1. profile image0

Yes, but the higher category is books, literature, and writing.  All of the hubs under that category appear.

1. Glenn Stok profile image100
                  Glenn Stokposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Aha. I just checked that out and I see what you mean. A better way to display hubs under the "Show" link would be by lowest level category. The upper level is way to vague.

You should suggest it. Oh, wait a minute... We are already in the suggestion forum thread so I hope HP notices this. Accept it as a suggestion.

2. Marisa Wright profile image99
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

How about making the font in the grey top bar bigger, so people can actually see the "Show" link?  Right now, even most Hubbers don't notice it.

2. Thelma Alberts profile image86
    Thelma Albertsposted 4 years ago

It sounds good;-)

3. Marisa Wright profile image99
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago

The original profile design had all our Hubs arranged in categories, AND a search box which enabled people to search within our profile for a specific topic or Hub.

With the new design, they removed all of that functionality.  There is still a tiny link where readers can order the Hubs by  category, but most Hubbers don't notice it so I'm darn sure readers won't!   The result is that navigation on our profile is very user-unfriendly, and makes it less likely a visitor will stay within our sub-domain when browsing HubPages.

I know Simone was unhappy with these changes and lobbied to have them changed back at the time.   It has been raised four or five times in the forums since.  No reason has ever been given as to why they can't be considered.  I know that programming time would be involved and that's an issue, but it wouldn't take much to make the top bar and font bigger so the "Show" option is more prominent.

My personal suspicion is that HubPages doesn't want readers to stay within a sub-domain - the profile set-up is now designed to make it more likely they'll browse more widely across the site instead.

1. profile image0

I agree.  I have mixed feelings about what Hubpages has been doing over the last few years.

4. Will Apse profile image92
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

Just getting this thread ahead of the spammer.....

working