jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

Finding broken links in Hubs

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

I got a 'broken link' warning on this hub:  http://dzymslizzy.hubpages.com/hub/The-Scissors-Paradox

However, when I went into edit mode, it said, '....highlighted ...'  ...however, there were NO highlights on any part of the hub.

This is not the first time this has happened.  How am I supposed to know (and fix) which is the "potentially broken link" if the diagnostic tool fails to place the stated highlight????

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image86
      Anna Marie Bowmanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

It's in the section on Other Hubs On Scissors.  The Hub on a scissor jack stand is no longer there.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ah--well, the problem with THAT, is that it is not a link I put there!  That's under the auto-links filled in by HP itself!!

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
          Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

The "Other Hubs on Scissors" section doesn't look like a section that HubPages put there.  It looks like a capsule you created, by finding other Hubs on scissors. You may have used the Suggestion Tool?

No, I do not recall doing that.  I usually do not use that feature.

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
              Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

When you edit that Hub and look at that section, can you see it?   Or does it only appear once you've saved the Hub?

If you can see that capsule in edit mode, then you put it there somehow, and only you can fix it.

Ok, I guess I managed to put it there, as it does show up in edit mode.  Weird, as I don't recall doing that.  I guess I'll just delete that entire capsule, and end the potential for future broken links on at least that hub...

2. Matthew Meyer profile image76
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I looked at the Hub in question and it is showing the broken link as highlighted (see screen shot).
      There is nothing I can find that would indicate that this is related to a bug or site problem.

If you have general site usage questions, please post them to the following forum and not to this forum thread.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/category/2879

As for broken links, this link in your account will show you broken links.
      It includes the exact URL and the Hub in which it is located.
      You can re-test links here to see if you have addressed the problem.
      http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/broken-links
      If you are having problems finding the URL in your Hub, you can right click the page and choose "View Source" and you can then search the source page for the URL.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8437603_f248.jpg

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image86
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 3 years ago

Sometimes, when I get this and I can't find the broken link, I find it helpful to look at the hub outside of the edit mode.  I click on the links until I find the one that doesn't work.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

Hi, Anna Marie--
      I'm sure that would work.  Thanks for the idea.  However, my point is, I expect things to work as they are supposed to.  wink  (Too much to ask??)  wink

1. The Examiner-1 profile image80
      The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I always check my links, videos, etc., to make sure that they are working before I publish. I go back and double check at times - especially the YouTube videos.

1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image86
        Anna Marie Bowmanposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, but sometimes, they work when you publish, but if someone deletes a hub, removes a YouTube video, etc, after that, you get a broken link.  I try to fix them once I find them, but you can't prevent broken links from happening.  If you link to someone elses' hub, you can't exactly force them to not delete it if they want to.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image80
          The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is why I try to keep checking them after I publish it.
          Maybe I did not say, 'after I publish', but that is what I meant when I said I go back and double check.

working