jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Use of public domain content.

1. Quilligrapher profile image90
    Quilligrapherposted 8 years ago

I have seen a few hubs lately that were downloaded and/or compiled from "free" sources on the internet.  None cited bylines nor gave credit to the original authors.  Are such hubs in compliance with Hubpages TOS?

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
    Eric Graudinsposted 8 years ago

If people republish content that is in the public domain, that's OK.
    However, the hub score for such content will be lower than if the material was original.
    Cheers,
    Eric G.

3. Quilligrapher profile image90
    Quilligrapherposted 8 years ago

Thanks for your reply, Eric. 

Without a byline or mention of source, I imagine spotting such a hub must be challenging.

1. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Not really. Hubpages has automated processes that do this.

If you post a sentence of your writing, or a suspect hub within quote marks on google search, you can find other websites with that same phrase. You can then check the rest of the article for plagiarism.
      Some automated article spinners work by taking a sentence from many sources, and putting them together to create a "new" article.

You can also download a free program from www.dupefreepro.com to find duplicate content.
      (I found a few articles and blog post work stolen from my website using this)

A hands off way of monitoring plagiarism of your work is by using copyscape - www.copyscape.com You past in your article, and they'll monitor the web continually, and send you an email if your work appears elsewhere on the web. (Not a free service)

Cheers, Eric G.

1. Quilligrapher profile image90
        Quilligrapherposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Very interesting and informative.  I appreciate your effort.

Richard

1. Frieda Babbley profile image72
          Frieda Babbleyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Eric.  Good info.

working