Sperm

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

Can you use the word 'sperm' in a Hub without running into problems?  (And I'm not talking whales.)

1. JG11Bravo profile image72
      JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't see why not.  It's in the dictionary, after all.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years agoin reply to this

FYI - I used the word  sperm and numerous other body-part or reproductive words in a hub I wrote about dating & HIV.  It was an assigned title, when I went through the AP gig, so it was vetted completely & gets good traffic. It also has ads.

Hope that helps?

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 10 years ago

I don't see why it would be an issue. 
    I've seen hubs with ads discussing sperm topics.
    http://hubpages.com/search/sperm

Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  It's ads that are my concern after reading all of the forum posts about the word 'breast' in chicken recipes or articles about cancer.

1. Marie Flint profile image71
        Marie Flintposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can always choose not to display ads and write to your heart's content.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

...and I also recall the example of "butt" in a gardening Hub.  Not to mention the trouble I've had with my belly dancing Hubs.

1. isaacasante profile image83
          isaacasanteposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You've had trouble with belly dancing hubs?

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

She's full of surprises.

3. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

The only trouble you may have is maybe with them disabling ads, for that is what happened on one of mine dealing with men's sexual health issues, which was fine with me, and it is one of my highest scoring hubs, but no ads for it.

This is so confusing.  I just looked at a Hub that used the word sperm more than 50 times and it has ads on it. Maybe you should try putting WTF in the title!

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
        Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know, especially with it being a serious health issue hub?  Who knows ... I kept it as it may help some.

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

That was the best title you could come up with for this thread? lol

5. Thief12 profile image90
    Thief12posted 10 years ago

I don't see why it should be a problem. But if there is, then there is something really wrong with the site. Of course, I also don't know the context of the hub, so there's that too...

DNA and Y chromosomes

6. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

Am I the only one with the Monty Python song stuck in my head now?

"Every sperm is sacred
    Every sperm is great!
    If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate!"

Have the ads disappeared on this thread yet?

1. profile image0

Nope, but it's not a well built old man or a hideous toenail so Im ok with it.

This is what I'm seeing now on this thread, two ads for couples resorts:

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8531614_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

Im seeing two ads for Ancestry.com.. however I was just doing a search of my maiden name so there you go. I promise you I don't have a toenail fungus or a thing for well built older men. I think when we clear our cache it just reverts to the same main ads for all of us... cause a lot of other ppl have had those ads too... just glad we're not getting ads having anything to do with the title.

1. Will Apse profile image89
              Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is the oddness of WF. On the one hand he/she knows stuff. Like targeted ads mean you see ads based on browsing history. On the hand, he/she cannot understand why couples ads appear on his/her browser in these forums.

It is the gap between having facts and having understanding, perhaps.

Between the conception and the creation falls the shadow.

2. JG11Bravo profile image72
      JG11Bravoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are my new best friend for knowing that song.

7. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Well, if WTF can appear in a hub of the day headline than why can't the word sperm be used?  Referring to whales or otherwise.  Sperm is part of F***ing in WTF.

8. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 10 years ago

And Remember
    Every sperm is sacred
    Every sperm is great
    If a sperm is wasted
    God gets quite Irate! ~Monty Python~

9. Writer Fox profile image31

This is the oddness of WA.  He doesn't understand that SEO professionals use an encrypted browser because ads displayed are important and affect income earned.

Headpieces filled with straw. Alas!

An encrypted browser? Good heavens you are sort of like Dan Dare, lol.

I just use one browser (FF) set to clear the cache when it it is closed. And another browser (Chrome) that picks up all the usual crap that Joe Normal's browser does.

But please tell me more about this encrypted browser. I might be interested in acquiring it.

I am also interested to know why you think ads viewed on an encrypted browser would tell you anything useful. After all, how many people ever bother to view a page with anything other than a standard crap saturated browser?

2. profile image0
      Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Interesting.  Could you point me towards a good article where I can read more about this issue (non-personalized ads by way of browser encryption, not ... the other thing)?

Lol, you obviously did not read this thread.

Even Beth knows about clearing the cache. Beth probably knows how to get rid of targeted ads by visiting Google too.

On this issue, let Beth be your guru.

1. profile image0

Write a letter to Google and ask them to get rid of your targeting ads.

Beth, the anti-Guru.

Personally, I have never used this but it probably works:

https://www.google.com/settings/ads/plugin

Choose Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox. Visit ad settings first it says.

1. profile image0

That wasn't right? It felt right.

Does any one else feel slightly embarrassed when they see the title of this thread with their name next to in it the forum?

Are you the desperate attention seeker in these forums?

1. profile image0

Well that seemed hurtful.
                  I'll just go write my book... while you start a thread on your inability to perform heart surgery.

It certainly was not meant to be hurtful. I did not imagine for a moment that you would think that you were the desperate attention seeker I was talking about.

You did not title this thread for one thing. 

Anyway, I am a bit distracted work-wise at the moment so I will take full responsibility for being a lousy communicator and shut up.

2. profile image0
              Earl Noah Bernsbyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Will — That seems like an interesting app.

10. Writer Fox profile image31

How does that help?

It gives you an encrypted search but then drops you straight back into standard non-encrypted protocols if you click on a search result.

At no point does it help you see non-personalized on-page ads!

Just do what normal people do, clear the cache on your browser.

Or perhaps use Startpage that offers encrypted search and quick proxy to view pages in the results.

https://startpage.com/

11. Writer Fox profile image31

Change your Omnibox settings.  Have someone help you.

12. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

It is always the same pattern.

You say something untrue.

Someone challenges you.

You start throwing up smokescreens.

13. Writer Fox profile image31

It's not a smokescreen; it's trying to teach an old dog new tricks.

Go on then teach me. Show me how to strip personalization out of a browsing experience purely with settings in an omnibox.

14. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

Looks like the sperm is in full flow again...

I notice you have been deploying irony, Mark. Waste of time. You have to nail him/her with facts. He/she absolutely hates them.

The fate of the little ones is at stake!

2. Writer Fox profile image31

He's still doing it.  How long does it take humans before they go blind?

I'll tell you what, WF. I will let you off the omnibox issue if you tell us if you are a man or a woman. At least I won't have to do the 'he/she' stuff all the time.

I think you are someone who enjoys being confused about he/she stuff.

So you cannot even clarify that one small issue. Well, I am going to start calling you 'she' unless you correct me. Hope that is okay.

Go read my bio, 'The Writer Fox Story.'  Writer Fox is alpha.  That is male in the animal kingdom.  What exactly are you?

1. profile image0

We're off topic... which seems like a good thing.

15. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

There's always one...
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8532352_f248.jpg

That's the one with a z chromosome defect.

16. profile image0

Well that was a fun way to start my morning.

17. tillsontitan profile image82
    tillsontitanposted 10 years ago

I would imagine the rest of the content would be more the determining factor than the one word, however, one is often met with surprises on HP!

18. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 10 years ago

Yes, you can. You may want to turn ads off and it does depend how you use it.

Thank you.  I want the ads on!

19. diogenes profile image68
    diogenesposted 10 years ago

I know why I don't cum here very often  Bob

20. profile image0

Oh dear.
    I can't believe this thread took a nose dive. It had such a lofty beginning.

Sperm doesn't live that long outside of the body.

1. profile image0

I will not be dwelling on that.

21. Writer Fox profile image31

Paul E. answered my question on this thread.  Case is closed.  Do not bump.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)