Community Spam Alert Feature

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 10 years ago

I just had a comment in one of my hubs with a self-promotional link, which is against HubPages' terms of service. Of course I denied the comment.

But then I went to that Hubber's profile and checked his activity. He had posted similar comments in dozens of other Hubber's Hubs. When I looked at those hubs I discovered that his comments were visible. That means that those other Hubbers are either approving the comments or they have their comment capsules set to allow everything.

I'd like to suggest a feature where Hubbers can simply click a button in the comment listings to send an alert to the Hubber who is being victimized. I'd call this a Community Spam Alert Feature. It can be just one button at the top of the comments -- No need for a button on each comment.

I think many people don't know that they can set parameters to moderate and approve or deny comments. Or they don't know that having links in comments may hurt their Google ranking if the links go to sites with a low ranking -- or worse, sites with viruses.

The alert could be an email sent to inform the user of the existence of spam in their comments and the risk involved. It would also explain why it is important to moderate comments.

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
      Glimmer Twin Fanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is interesting information.  I recently approved a comment on one of my hubs from a fellow hubber that had linked one of his hubs.  I never approve comments if they contain links to outside sites, but did not realize we weren't supposed to for inside (hubpages) links as well.  Thanks for letting us know.  I'll have to go back and find that comment and delete it.

Glenn Stokposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Glimmer Twin Fan - It says at the bottom of the comments capsule that "Comments are not for promoting your Hubs or other sites."

1. Glimmer Twin Fan profile image95
          Glimmer Twin Fanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've been here over 1 1/2 years and have never noticed that under the comments.  Well, I've taken care of it.  Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

2. Sue B. profile image71
          Sue B.posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think the ability of outsiders to flag comments in some way to alert for potential SPAM sounds like a good one.  I have received comments from spammers here and there and have always denied them.  I do not, however, consider all links to hubs or sites as SPAM.  If it is relevant to discussion, I may decide to approve it.

Actually I was not saying to allow outsiders to flag spam. That may create a different problem. My idea would require being logged on. As for the rest of your comment, I agree. I have allowed certain links too. It's just those that are against TOS that I deny. And obvious spam.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image71
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Glenn,

The best practice is to disapprove such comments and mark them as SPAM.
      You can also report the user as well using their profile.
      Each of these reports is reviewed by a moderator.  Marking comments as SPAM helps our system better identify potential account with issue and help the system mark any future comments from that user/IP/etc. based on the comment reported as SPAM by users.

Yes Matt. I have done both of these things. I flagged his profile with a note to staff saying to look at his activity feed since he was doing it to many others. And I marked the comment as SPAM.

But you missed my 3rd point - to notify the clueless Hubber who's being abused. I see so much of this that it would take too much time to go and check if each victim allows email via their profile -- and then to send them a note about the abuse with an explanation of what to do about it. And BTW, some Hubbers have email shut off.

Don't you think it would be easier for us to just click a button and it's done. I think more Hubbers, who DO understand this, would be more inclined to notify the clueless Hubbers with this feature.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
          Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think the spammers just play a numbers game, which is why they post the same comment on multiple Hubs.  They know that a portion of Hubbers will never remove their spam comments, so the HP system works for them and their intent.

That's why I'm suggesting a feature for a way to make it easy to notify the Hubbers who are being hurt by this.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
              Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I know.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

This activity drives me crazy.  Had hubs stolen last summer by one of these alleged hubbers.  This is a good idea.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Interesting. I had 2 spam-o-grams show up in my comments just this morning. That is not usual for me.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

haha, discount tire ad on my screen now, thanks to you, Im sure.

2. Glenn Stok profile image95

It might have been the same fellow who spammed me. When I looked at his activity I saw he was spamming a lot of Hubbers. What bothered me is that I was able to see his comments. That means that many Hubbers need an education about this. Too many allow comments like this.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Same here. Two.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why don't spammers ever write me? sad

4. Suzanne Day profile image92
    Suzanne Dayposted 10 years ago

I had a spam comment like this and also a request for me to follow them. I deleted everything from them and checked their profile and they only had 6 followers and a couple of hubs. Must be a newbie.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

I had a comment a while back that was actually a nice comment, but sadly, it ended with a link to their site and their full street address.  (It was a business.)
    I denied the comment, but I also went to their Hubber profile, and sent them a private e-mail, thanking them for their nice comment, and explaining why I'd had to deny it.
    I invited them to re-post the comment sans promotion, and that I would be happy at that time to approve same.
    I got a reply that they "had only meant it as a signature," and apologized. (Apparently did not know?????)
    At any rate, a while later, I found that they HAD, indeed commented again minus the ad.

Almost daily, I am astounded by the numbers of people who "don't know" things that are printed right in front of them, and reminded of my grandfather's saying of, "Those who will not read are worse off than those who cannot."
    My father, too, had a saying, a bit more crude, but with the same general meaning about folks who can't or won't follow instructions, "Some people can't pour pee out of a boot with the directions printed on the heel."

SMH, here.....I've written a slew of educational Hubs on everything from spelling to good manners, and it has no effect.  I think they are just not read, or I'm simply 'preaching to the choir.' 
    (I hate that cliché--I wish I could think up a snappy new alternate!)  ;-)

1. Muttface profile image80
      Muttfaceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How about "Screaming in the mirror"?

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image80
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Report the Hubber's profile, and outline the problem. If you see further spammy comments from Hubbers, flag them as spam afb don't delete them permanently.  The staff does check these for repeat offenders.

I've gotten a few from Hubbers (who sign up to skim content, or to get backlinks).  I usually get them from a certain foreign country, and they're all trying to promote a miracle cure for a health condition mentioned in some of my hubs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)