Earnings Page

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Mary McShane profile image78
    Mary McShaneposted 10 years ago

Since I'm pretty new here at HP (9 weeks), I was wondering about fluctuations on the Earnings Page - mostly DROPS, not increases.

It's not a ton of money, mind you, but I am wondering about why the amount goes down. In my mind, it should only go up.

Example:  On Friday, January 3, 2014, the earnings were so many cents - New Year, new month, slow start and all that. I will not state the totals since HP doesn't want us to do that. I will only speak in increases of cents.

On Saturday, the initial dollars amount increased by 18 cents.  On Sunday, it increased by 22 cents. When I signed in this morning, the amount was the same.

Tonight, Monday - after dinner time, the earnings dropped to single digits - not only less than a dollar but single digits!

I don't understand how that happens since we are paid on impressions, etc.

Does someone take back their visit, or their like? 

All my comments are still in place so I know no one deleted their comment to cause a drop.  I have been sharing my work for four days on other websites to get traffic. I have had a good increase in traffic visits. 

I have written 6 posts in 6 days, much more than I have done in several weeks in an effort to increase earnings. Yet I see them going down. I am extremely discouraged. I am trying very hard to make a success here on HP.  I love it here, but decreases in earnings worry me.

So if someone can explain how that happens, I'd appreciate it.  I have searched the Q & A and Tutorials looking for why earnings drop but haven't found an answer specific to my question.

Thanks for any help.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When you look at earnings stats, a star beside the figure shown means that it has not been finalised.
      So expect it to go up/down/stay the same by the time that star disappears.
      It's all got to do with advertisers. Maybe some pay. some don't, some pay a higher price, some a lower...what advertisers pay is probably a science in itself.
      Do not count any earnings shown until it does not show a star.
      The figures will change daily according to your readership and CPM, which changes daily too.

Mary McShaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

thank you for your reply.  None of my stats show a star at the moment.  I think that will also be subject to change since over the weekend, all had a star on Friday, then only on 2 days on Saturday and 3 stars on Sunday afternoon, but all were gone Sunday night and today.  Who knows? Maybe the stars will come back to the stats again like they did on Sunday.  As I said, just today, the earnings have fluctuated the most and there are no stars on today's date. 

Question to all: Does anyone else still have a star on today's date?

2. The Examiner-1 profile image62
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am sure that you have heard of a 'drop in sales' or a 'drop in the stock market'. It all depends on the quality of product (Hubs), amount of customers (readers), amount of buying (ads), etc. Put this all together and what have you got? Rises and drops, it just contiues to go up and down.

I do understand that part, Kevin. When I posted this questions, I just wondered if anyone else noticed the drop in their stats.  It is Tuesday morning here in Florida. I've just signed on and my stats are the same as last night. Although my traffic and impressions are higher in number.
        I don't understand how you can have impressions one day (Monday morning) and take a look later same day and it shows no impressions and no earnings.  I thought once you got an impression (view) it stayed.  I know I have views because I'm publishing comments and replying to them. My traffic page shows steady traffic numbers.  I guess I just have to leave it to the powers that be and hope I make a little spare change along the way.  TYVM for answering. I'm going to let it go now.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image62

I did not read the qustion clearly Mary. For that sometimes one, or more, earnings freeze(s). You see the previous days earnings. Some Hubbers have even mentioned problems going on for longer. You just have to wait for the problem to correct itself. I believe that the correct amounts are deposited, it is on the computer where the problem is.

2. Abbyfitz profile image73
    Abbyfitzposted 10 years ago

I just noticed this too, except it went down 3 cents.

@ Abbyfitz, so yours went down also, not up.  Do you have a star on today's date still?

1. IzzyM profile image87

I do.

Ok, well I hope it goes away soon and things get more finalized.  Mine are still gone. I'll watch that page for the next day or two and see what happens.  No one likes to see earnings go down when they work so hard on their hubs and ways to increase traffic. 

Thanks for answering wink

2. Rob Winters profile image74
      Rob Wintersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

hmm i too noticed a 3 cent drop, first time i've ever noticed a negative adjustment. Perhaps this is a new levy :-)

3. Abbyfitz profile image73

I have a star on every day since the 31st. I've had it change and go up before, or not show any increase for a few days, but never subtracted.

4. Abbyfitz profile image73

I checked just now and it's gone up 42 cents. Weird, but at least it's moving in the right direction lol

ugh, I just checked and now have gone down 3 cents. It can't go down any further. I'm at zero. sad

1. IzzyM profile image87

From what I can see, the results are pending. Just show a little bit of patience and all will be revealed!

I will do that, thank you.  I'm going to turn in for the night and look at it tomorrow.  TY to all who answered.

5. lovebuglena profile image86
    lovebuglenaposted 10 years ago

You earn based on impressions so if you traffic greatly decreases you will see less impressions and therefore less earnings.

6. William15 profile image83
    William15posted 10 years ago

I think part of it is that Hubpage removes your views. It's kind of like adsense not counting views from your IP address. I think your views may factor into the initial earnings, but then it sorts itself out before it publishes.

1. IzzyM profile image87

??

7. profile image0
    KenDeanAgudoposted 10 years ago

mine happen too, it had dropped than last year. I wonder why views are getting fewer now.

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

The provisional figures sometimes go up and sometimes go down, I have certainly seen both.

9. The Examiner-1 profile image62
    The Examiner-1posted 10 years ago

Mary,
    My stats have been the same for 2-3 days and I have not worried. In the past hour or two they about tripled.
    Kevin

My stats in "traffic" have increased, my comments on hubs have increased, but my impressions are still going up and down.  My earnings are not fun to look at in the least.  I am very disappointed that the earnings are not commensurate with what the hubber sees in traffic, and the views on account page. I have to put this worriment aside or it will get the better of me so that I stop writing here all together.  Thank you to all who took the time to explain and to comment.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image62

Do not worry, just take it in stride. The more that you write, the better your Hubs get too. Remember - smiling is healthier than worrying! :-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)