Any advice for this Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Cre8tor profile image91
    Cre8torposted 10 years ago

Hello Fellow Hubbers,

I have been here for awhile so am not naive to making Hubs, some fairly successful ones at that but I am surprised that this Hub hasn't done better. Honestly, my wish for this Hub to do well is so others can gain what my family has from it's message.

I would be very appreciative if anyone has some thoughts on why this Hub isn't doing well or suggestions to improve it.

Thanks,
    Cre8tor

Cre8torposted 10 years agoin reply to this
      1. Robin profile image85
        Robinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think your Hub has huge social media traffic potential.  Since you aren't seeing a lot of search traffic, perhaps try a different route and change your title around to see if you can get social traffic.  Here's a great article from Upworthy on how they get social traffic.  I would definitely check it out and tweak your title to see if you could see traffic from Facebook.  I know that I didn't know about dual enrollment before reading your Hub, and I would definitely share it with my friends.  Very cool!

Thank you Robin. I read the article and it was very very useful. I will be putting my thinking cap on for sure. This gave me a lot of ideas.

1. Robin profile image85

I would recommend reading a bunch of titles of articles that have gone viral.  Viralnova and Neetzan Zimmerman of Gawker have done extremely well with viral content.  I would take a look at their sites and see how they have constructed their titles.  smile

Yes. That's a good idea before making any significant changes I think. I've been reading a lot on Upworthy to get a good feel for what the slides were teaching me.

Are there any long term damaging affects on a Hub that you experiment with by changing the title multiple times in a relatively short time frame?

1. Robin profile image85

I don't think there should be any long term damaging effects for changing your title--especially if you aren't really seeing search traffic as it is.  I think it's worth giving it a try.  However, Upworthy does state that most of the videos don't go viral.  I think it takes a lot of swings to get a hit.  smile

Play around with it as an experiment and let us know.  I'm going to work on a viral Hub soon, and I'm thinking our next contest will revolve around this topic.  One way to be out of the grips of Google is to create content that has the potential to do well on social media.

Well I don't know that viral is what I'll achieve here either but hope I can get it to more than a few hundred people over 2 years! :-) My silly Valentine poem does better! (Goes to show huh?)

I'll be anxious to see what you come up with. Immediately after reading the article and others, the wheels started turning for me too. Too fast really. :-)

2. Laura-n-Sasha profile image61
      Laura-n-Sashaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Why are you saying this is not doing well? There seems to be many people commenting and there are look like a few views. What do you feel is the problem.

The comments there are old and honestly, from Hubbers that I was in the AP with. This is my least trafficked Hub with only 337 views in 2 years.

3. Ewent profile image57
      Ewentposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hubs are singularly tied to whatever interests your followers. When you consider the most captivating hub titles and content, these are more likely to have high audience appeal. The old saying, "Know your readership," still holds true. Try making your hub as interactive as a forum. Give readers just enough to capture their attention and ready to respond.

2. chasmac profile image89
    chasmacposted 10 years ago

Your hub is well written but I can't imagine that many people will be searching for this information using keywords in your title. So search engines aren't going to be sending high traffic.

Another problem is that a significant portion of those who do arrive at your hub via search engines will be disappointed. That's because on further reading it turns out that it's only for those in Ohio, something that your title makes no mention of (although you mention in the hub that you think there are probably similar schemes nationwide).

Many of your visitors (Brits, Aussies, Irish, Canadians, etc. etc. and even many Americans outside Ohio) will spend literally a few seconds on your page, realise it doesn't apply to them and promptly hit the back button to look elsewhere. Search engines see this behaviour (short time on page and high bounce rate) as indications that your hub isn't delivering what your title promised, and so they downgrade it in the search results.

Use Google Analytics to check what search terms were used by those who came from search engines, how many visitors are from outside Ohio and outside the US.

With your title as it is at present, the majority of search traffic will be from the US but outside Ohio. Your hub will have limited relevance for them.
    Next will be from those outside the US. Your hub will have virtually no relevance at all for them.
    Last (and sadly least) is your true target audience - Ohians(?) Ohioans(?) I mean those from Ohio ;-)

I suggest you expand your target audience to all of the US by mentioning some similar schemes in other states. Don't just tell them that you think there might be others nationwide. Find a few and mention them in your hub and reword your title to attract and keep the audience you want.
    Attracting people for whom the hub is irrelevant does get you more views but hurts you in the long run when search engines keep you well away from top spot due to your hub not being relevant to the majority of your visitors.

Thank you Chasmac. You bring up some very good points that I will work on addressing today. I never looked as far into the bounce rate thinking "I mention there may be similar programs..." would keep people from feeling excluded but you're right...people don't hang around long once they see "Ohio". Still, with just over 300 views in 2 years, traffic is bad and thus bounce rate is nearly moot. I've switched up the title a couple times but perhaps my subtitles and keywords need the most work....blah....I'm just repeating what you told me now. Thank you kindly for taking so much time to read and respond.

1. Health Reports profile image82
        Health Reportsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Try "Planning for College Tuition | Get Free College Tuition in 45 States"  Or however many states have this program. Then explain dual high school / college enrollment in the Hub summary section.  I would use some subtitles such as ""planning for college tuition," since this needs to be started well before they are halfway through their senior year of high school.

Health Reports - I have incorporated these ideas. Thank you for your input.

3. Cre8tor profile image91
    Cre8torposted 10 years ago

Thank you all for your help. I was able to find some additional information to make the Hub a bit more universal, incorporated what should be better key words and tweaked the title a bit in the hopes of being more search friendly based the finding that "dual enrollment" is a more country wide term as opposed to the PSEOP I was so focused on. Again, thank you kindly. I'll report back sometime to let y'all know how it's doing.

4. Health Reports profile image82
    Health Reportsposted 10 years ago

I heard on PBS the other day that Georgia has a Dual Enrollment program with free college tuition.  Hope that helps with your research ;-)

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image81
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Hey, long time no see! 

Your hub is excellently written - full of good information. I like the suggestion someone gave about expanding it to go beyond Ohio. 

What I noticed is the frequent use of Dual Enrollment in subheads (which are areas of valuable real estate for searches). Some people may not search for that term, or even know what it means, but might search for articles about saving tuition costs, etc.

FYI - not sure if this is related to your focus, but Excelsior College has a good approach to dual enrollment, is entirely distance-based, fully accredited & very respected. Maybe you could include some brief info on them (they're based in Albany, NY) and one or two others outside of the Buckeye State? 

Stay warm - I grew up in Columbus, and have been watching the weather predictions.  My family & friends still live there, so I fret about them.

Hello Marcy! Yes. It's been some time. A lot had gone on for awhile and I was struggling to find time and motivation concurrently.

Thank you for the suggestions. I do think I went overboard in finding that dual enrollment is a term used outside Ohio more than post secondary and is what spurred me asking Robin about how frequently I'm tinkering with this Hub. It really wasn't doing well anyways so not much to be lost in terms of viewership but now that I'm experiencing first hand how great this is, I want to get it out.

Thanks again for your help. I always appreciate your input.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)