jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (14 posts)

Writing FanFictions?

1. profile image59
    icowaposted 3 years ago

as per subject..

Thinking of writing chapters of a short story that I have been working on for some time now
    and posting it chapter by chapter.

Does hubpages allow fanfictions?

1. Deepsdmk profile image59
      Deepsdmkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am also planning to write short stories on hub.. can someone suggest if its possible on hub pages?

2. SpaceShanty profile image93
      SpaceShantyposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes stories are allowed here on Hubpages.  I think it would be better to create just one Hub instead of a Hub for each chapter.

1. Deepsdmk profile image59
        Deepsdmkposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Space shanty for a quick reesponse !!

3. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi icowa,

We do permit creative writing and fan fiction on HubPages, but keep in mind that it can be tougher to earn money from creative works (since few people are looking for them in search engines). Our community includes many skilled creative writers, though, and HP can be a great place to practice and garner useful feedback. Just make sure your creative articles are categorized under the Creative Writing Topic, or one of its subtopics (we even have one for Fan Fiction). smile

1. profile image59
        icowaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Umm, I'm new to everything here but.. where do you go to select creative writing and/or Fan Fiction?

2. profile image59
        icowaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

hehe, never mind, I found it..

wish me luck...

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

If the work is based on a copyrighted and/or trademarked original--no.

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Well that is odd because I was told in the past that copyright/trademark-infringing fanfiction was not permitted. Which seems only logical to me.  But look at it all.

I mean if I found someone making money off a derivative work of my fiction, I would be sending Hubpages a DMCA sharpish.  Just like I do with any other site.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

As with many types of content, there are some potential legal issues with fan fiction, though they have not been consistently enforced. Writers' opinions vary as well. Some encourage fan fiction adaptations of their work while others view it as theft. Ultimately, it's up to Hubbers to get educated and use good judgement when choosing to write fan fiction.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

And yet when it come to visual arts, there is a hard and fast rule.

Odd, really. Especially when the fanfic I see are from works where the authors are known to oppose fanfiction. (One of who served me with a DMCA themselves back in the day).

1. Shinzuu Katame profile image94
          Shinzuu Katameposted 3 years agoin reply to this

it really depends on whom you're working the fanfic off of. some are encouraged, some are neutral and a select few are very strict. it just really depends.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
            psycheskinnerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I am aware of that.  But you only have to look at that link to see works that are actively hostile to unauthorized derivative works (Disney, JK Rowling etc).

4. profile image59
    icowaposted 3 years ago

Good to hear....

well, I'll just give it a go and see how it goes then..
    smile

Thanks for the replies..

working