jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (7 posts)

Re-think categories

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago

HP needs to seriously revamp their categories. I did a search on HP as a "regular visitor who has never been on HP". I searched for entertainment >photos and videos and was led to these choices; celebrity pictures,cute pictures, photo galleries and sexy pictures and videos (this last one is nothing more than a collection of barely clothed people and the videos can be misleading.....to say the least).

When you start a hub (in my case) there are several categories like photographers, instructions,reviews etc.....none of which was available on my original "incognito" search. This is no big deal to me since most of my traffic comes from search engines but it brings some questions to bear.

1. sallybea profile image98
      sallybeaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

LuisEGonzalez
      I aked HubPages staff for a new category for fit in with my niche subject, which is wet felting and it was only a couple of days before they created one for me.  Why not add your suggestion by going to  http://hubpages.com/forum/category/2908.   I am sure they will take a look at it. 
      Have a nice week-end
      Sally

2. Matthew Meyer profile image75
      Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If you have a specific category or subcategory to suggest, we can see if there is already an appropriate one. If there is not we usually make it, so please share any specific categories for which you are looking and we can look into it further.

You can find a full category list here.
      http://hubpages.com/topics/tree

I also added that link to the FAQ as well.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#categories

1. tsmog profile image83
        tsmogposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hello Matthew. Thank you for the link. Once way back when I did a hub on that link breaking down how to use with stats of how significant a category has value and worth. The more specific the better opportunity is with Google indexing a hub offering defining competition, placement on searches, and offering development of a niche based on the category being defined and popularity. I refer to it all the time and maybe not enough.

3. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Did you try Arts and Design --> Photos and Photography?  Art seems like a more logical starting point than entertainment.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
        LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Arts and Design does bring up photography articles however perhaps adding the category  Photography tutorials, instructions or something similar may work better.

I just don't see how so many articles that are nothing but photos of barely clothed ladies with hardly any text (if at all) should be on HP

1. Matthew Meyer profile image75
          Matthew Meyerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Arts and Design┬╗
          Photos and Photography┬╗
          Photography Instruction and How-Tos

working