Thanks to HubPages Admin. for providing 'Copied Hubs' feature.

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (28 posts)
  1. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 9 years ago

Periodically I notice a downturn in the traffic to one or more hubs, which leads me to Google the beginning or sections of it/them in search of content theft. Now HP is helping with this chore by notifying us of possible content theft and listing the sites where it's being used. There's even a 'whois' link to help search for the URL and a copy of the DMCA form.  THANKS, HP Team! I really appreciate this help and I'm sure Hubbers do as well.  Jaye

1. peeples profile image92
      peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Where is all this?

JayeWisdomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's on your HP account screen, up at the top on the bottom line that begin with 'Statistics." At the far end is the link 'Copied Hubs.' When you click on it, if HP has information about theft of your content, the date found will be listed and there will be links to the sites where your content is illegally in use. Also, there's a 'file' link to the right of each link to a site. When you click on it, a screen opens up with the DMCA already prepared for you to use.

I also found a copyright symbol next to the hub with the purloined content listed on my account screen when I checked it today for activity. When I opened the hub, there was a warning message at the top encouraging me to act if I hadn't already. It's really very helpful. There is even a 'whosis' link to search for info about the domain, IP address, owner, etc. It's really a big advantage over scattershot searching for stolen content. Now, whether or not the content thief will remove my content remains to be seen.

I also sell (a bit) on Etsy.com, and last week discovered quite by accident (searching to see how many similar items were listed on the site) that another shopkeeper had one of my original photos PLUS two long paragraphs of product description written by me in her listing!  We sent several intra-site emails back and forth, and she finally removed them after saying it wasn't 'intentional' (What? You steal someone else's photo and listing copy and it's not INTENTIONAL?) and she didn't know it was against Etsy standards. (Try reading them!)

I've decided there are many people online who are too lazy to do their own work and think anything creative that belongs to someone else is fair game for them to copy and use.  Sad, but true.

1. peeples profile image92
          peeplesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. That is great! I don't have any hubs with the copyright symbol, but I do know one of them has been stolen. I hope that this all works out. Thanks for sharing.

2. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
          csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I write for another site ---- ezine.com. I saw several articles of mine copy pasted on other sites. When I looked, I saw my name as author and ezine.com as the origin. I wonder, if this happens to HubPages, do you still file a DMCA (?) with that? 

With my articles on HubPages, I caught one or two who copied my title, thinking that they would get the views too. Apparently, I have become an authority on that niche, so Google have ranked me high, 2nd only to the Commission on Audit reports. The copying of titles have not affected me yet, since I still occupy the top rung.

But if I see any hub of mine copied, I'd go look for the culprit here in the Philippines and I'll pounce on him myself!  Lol!

writer_csm

Copyright laws allow small amounts of original material to be used with attribution or paraphrase a small amount, but if someone copied one or more entire articles--even though they listed your name as author--they didn't have your permission to do that. The fact that the same content is posted elsewhere could diminish your traffic for that hub or those hubs. If it were my articles, I'd file the DMCA.

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
              csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks much! What happened is that some of my articles are no longer showing in Google. I linked those articles at G+.  I just don't know what that can do. I better file a DMCA asap.

writer_csm

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
                Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just wish they would take away those little red 'c's" once the article is taken down.

2. creativegenius profile image74
                creativegeniusposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google has a Copyright Removal Dashboard for webmaster which lets you file DMCA complaints against websites that steal your content. Upon approval, Google will delist the website's page(s) that have the plagiarized content so they no longer appear in search results. If the plagiarized content is on a Google property, such as blogspot, then Google removes the offending webpage completely from the blog. If the plagiarist is using Adsense on a plagiarized webpage, then Google disables the plagiarist's Adsense so they can't generate income from your work(s). Also Google automatically submits a DMCA notice to Chillingeffects.org.

3. Shyron E Shenko profile image70
          Shyron E Shenkoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Glad that someone is keeping watch over our hubs.  Thank you Jaye for telling us and thank you HP.

4. noenhulk profile image59
          noenhulkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Now I know what to do. Thank you for sharing this useful information. I will try to check etsy.com too to see if I can explore some useful and interesting articles there too.

2. Prodio profile image60
      Prodioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I thank them too, for that feature.

2. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

That sounds like a great and much needed initiative.

It is, John. They already have a method for finding duplicate content on hubs, and this seems to be the logical next step. I suppose the HP team can compare the date the content was published on your hub to the date it was used elsewhere. That's just my guess. I'm FAR from being a techie. I don't even know how long that 'Hubs Copied' category has been displayed on the account screen. It may have been there a while and I just didn't notice it before today.

3. catgypsy profile image73
    catgypsyposted 9 years ago

I don't see anything that says Copied Hubs. Does everyone else see it?

1. noenhulk profile image59
      noenhulkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you have no copied hubs yet. I didn't see on mine either.

4. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

I can't find that on the account screen, just the red copyright symbol at the bottom that shows your hub may be copied. Nothing at the top second row.

5. JayeWisdom profile image89
    JayeWisdomposted 9 years ago

These are the topics/links at the top of the Account screen. 'Copied Hubs' is the last one on the second row. It's not dropped down to a third row as shown here for lack of space. Since I didn't notice it until I actually had copied hubs, perhaps it's not placed on the dashboard until the hubber has stolen content. I don't know. Perhaps one of the HP Team can explain further.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Hubs  Earnings   Q&A   Profile   Photos   Activity   Following   Videos
    Statistics  Feedback  Topics  Violations  Broken Links  Comments   Groups  Copied Hubs

1. catgypsy profile image73
      catgypsyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's where I'm looking and it's not on mine...hopefully someone on the HP team will jump in here.

6. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

It must only appear when HP has detected that one of your hubs has been copied.

That must be the way it works because it's still on mine as well as the warning on my hub even though I've sent the DMCA notices to the address I found on whosis lookup. I wish the HubPages Team would make an announcement about how this works (or someone who knows would jump in here and tell us). Does the HP warning and other info related to stolen content remain on a Hubber's hub and account screen until the copied material is removed and they can no longer detect it? I've done my part, but--as most of you know--you can't control how the content thieves react.  Since whosis shows that the owner of that domain owns numerous others, this person is probably 'accomplished' at stealing content and getting away with it.

7. mary615 profile image84
    mary615posted 9 years ago

I signed up for Google Alerts long ago.  Now if another ariticle is published on the net with the same title or one similar, I will be notified by Google.
    One of my most popular Hubs is on how to make Amish Friendship Bread, and almost every day I am notified someone else has published an article on the same topic.   
    The only drawback is:  my email will have at least 4-5 of these alerts every day, but I am still grateful.

Thanks for this info, Mary. I didn't know about Google Alerts. Wouldn't it be nice if Google would just slap these content thieves on the hand so you wouldn't have to take the time and trouble to send notification. It is so time-consuming and irritating to go after these people who think anything on the Internet is up for grabs.

8. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Thanks to HP for the recent scan for copied hubs. Though I found many 100s more than the c indicated, it was handy to check, (especially with the ics site). Don't forget to use Google Alerts if you want more up-to-the-minute reporting of duplications. Have already nailed a number of them that way.

9. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Is anyone here familiar with chrome extensions? And if so, do you know if this is an extension that can help you detect copied content?

10. Kathleen Odenthal profile image89
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Just found one actually!

11. xmags profile image80
    xmagsposted 9 years ago

Good job HP. HEH. Hope this helps minimize content robbers. >_<

12. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

The legal team at Facebook have been very helpful in removing hubs copied onto fb. The listing is also promptly removed from google search results. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)