jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Answers Policy

1. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 3 years ago

I've been hanging out in Answers a lot this week. It reminds me of when I worked for Cha-Cha, answering questions.

MY question:

I've noticed that someone posts about a dozen questions in a row every night. ALL of the questions can be answered by simply Googling the exact question posted. They're not the kind of questions that inspire discussion or interaction.

Is this spam?

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Probably not.  The Q&A section is a peculiar animal - it is pretty useless, and although it's been around for a long time, it has never really worked.  I think HP doesn't delete it because it adds more "bulk" to the site, but it has very little real value.   

Some people erroneously think it's an easy way to earn income - that's why you see the serial question posters.   You can earn from questions BUT not only are the links in your profile "no follow", the questions themselves are also "no indexed" after they've been inactive for a short time.   That means they're not going to get Google traffic for very long, and therefore their earnings potential is very limited.  And you don't earn anything at all from answers.

lisavollrathposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Marisa.

I actually enjoy answering questions while I'm watching TV, even if it doesn't have any income potential.

Is it acceptable to tell people who ask questions that would better be typed into Google that they should do that? While I don't mind answering questions that require an opinion, or elicit a discussion, I do think it's weird to use that section as your personal concierge search engine!

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
          Marisa Wrightposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Like I said, most of the people who post silly questions think they can earn money, and that's why they're doing it. I don't think they will be deterred by someone telling them they could find the answer elsewhere!

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image98
      Phyllis Doyleposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Late night spammers love to come in and post their advertisements as a question. It is very frustrating and I wish there was some way to block them from doing that.

2. TreasuresBrenda profile image55
    TreasuresBrendaposted 3 years ago

Does it help their Hubscore?

3. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

The Q&A section used to be fun. Now it's a haven for spammers, religioso's and general random numb-nuttery.

I have no qualms about calling out BS questions and leaving sarcastic answers to questions that are asking for em. Does it help my Hubscore? No, but it keeps me entertained.

lisavollrathposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Well, I do enjoy reporting spammers, so maybe that's why I like that section of the site. I've probably reported more questions as spam than I've answered.

2. Arachnea profile image77
      Arachneaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes, FatFreddysCat, it's life's little entertainments that make it all worth while.  wink

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image98

"numb-nuttery"? I never heard that term before and rather like it.

4. OldRoses profile image94
    OldRosesposted 3 years ago

When I first joined the site 7 years ago, the questions section was supposed to inspire hubs.  A couple of my most popular hubs are a result of questions from that era.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image98

They can still inspire hubs, but not many people follow up on that. I think it is because it is not easy to write a hub on the spot about  a question. I have written one or two hubs inspired by a question, but they did not turn out too well without the deep research I always do to write a hub.  I try to ask questions that will inspire a hub, but so far have not found an inspiring question yet.

1. OldRoses profile image94
        OldRosesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The hubs I wrote did appear as "answers".  My thought was that if people were asking the question here, then they must also be Googling it.  I was right.  Those hubs still enjoy good traffic 7 years later.  I left HP for personal reasons for 5 years.  So many changes now that I'm back.  When I go to the questions section, it seems like people are asking questions just for the sake of asking questions.  I haven't found any inspiration for a hub there.

5. erorantes profile image52
    erorantesposted 3 years ago

Hello mister lisavollrath. I agree with your point. I am greatful to the question section. I anwsered the questions that are easy and fast to write about the subject. I have a choice to pick the subject that I like. I helped my grandchidren found their dog with all the advices . I got from nice people like you and others . Keep looking for the rigth subject. I am sure you are going to find it.  Love and piece.

6. relache profile image91
    relacheposted 3 years ago

I have avoided the Answers section like the plague for the last few years.  Best thing anyone could do for that part of this site.  It was a great idea that was executed horribly.

7. Arachnea profile image77
    Arachneaposted 3 years ago

I stopped in there once or twice for a look-see. It's rather amusing actually. I can see how it could work well as a prompt cache for hubs. Perhaps a few restrictions might be in order? big_smile

8. Susan Zutautas profile image80
    Susan Zutautasposted 3 years ago

Many times I will answer a question with a hub but yes there are some pretty silly questions posted at times.

working