Missing Categories

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I've noticed that there are some missing categories on HubPages. I'm hoping this is something that can be addressed so as to enable hubs which have transferred to cluster in a more appropriate way

Can I suggest we try and highlight the new categories that we'd like to see added.

2. makingamark profile image70

I write about art - the missing categories which I would like to see are:
    * art history
    * art museums and galleries
    * famous artists (i.e. not every famous artist is a painter nor do they always paint one sort of subject matter)

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Art history exists, but it's under Education and Science of all places
      http://hubpages.com/topics/education-an … story/3414
      I couldn't find Art Galleries anywhere.  Both would be better classified under Arts and Design, which is where you probably tried to look for them.  It's worth posting in the Suggestion forum in case no staff member answers you here.

1. RockyMountainMom profile image67
        RockyMountainMomposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would second that, as I got a PHENOMENALLY fast reply there for a subcategory addition the other day (for a topic I am passionate about, so I was very thrilled and impressed).

2. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi mm,

I see that others have helped you find the Art History Topic. Content on art museums can be placed under Museum Visits, and a new category will be created specifically for art museums when there are 20+ Featured Hubs on the subject.

I have created a Topic for Famous Artists under Arts and Design> Famous Artists. You can begin categorizing Hubs under that Topic now, but it will not get a Topic Page until it has 20+ Featured Hubs.

makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Many thanks for the Famous Artists. I know I've got more than 20 and I know there are lots of others who have lenses/hubs about artists.  I'll move them over when I've got them all sorted.

So I'm now wondering where would Art Education go which is not Art History?  The Drawing Instruction and Painting Instruction categories are very helpful but there's more to Art Education than those three topics.

3. makingamark profile image70

Thanks - I'll do that

However I still think it's worth having this thread in this forum - as this forum is supposed to be focusing on glitches and transition issues - as I understand it.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

A couple of things to note about categories: one is that a category may not be where you expect it (e.g. Art History is under Education).   If I can't find a category, I search for other Hubs on the same subject and see what they're listed under, then look to see what category they're in. 

The other point is that HubPages won't create a category unless they feel there will be sufficient demand.  They don't want categories with only a dozen Hubs in them.  So for instance, although Flamenco is a clearly defined separate dance style, they wouldn't make a separate category for it because I was the only person writing about it.

Come to think of it, I should email them about it, because there's a decent amount of Hubs about it now.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Christy Kirwan, who is in charge of adding new categories, wants to see 20 Hubs before adding a new category.

5. makingamark profile image70

Well I guess there's an argument for an awful lot of content on HubPages being under "education"! smile

However, although art history as an educational topic might be under Education - the History of Art very definitely should be under Art.

I've got vast numbers of ex-lenses which need to find an appropriate category home and I personally think of them as part of art not as part of education - since education is the overarching imperative for everything.

I guess what I'm saying is that given the hundreds of thousands of sites making the transfer at the moment - that "categories" should be something which needs to be kept under review right now.

I totally understand about not inventing a category for a few lenses - but where people write in niches there might now be an awful lot of new hubs searching for the right home.

1. Paula Atwell profile image67
      Paula Atwellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's certainly worth the effort to suggest categories and also get help finding them. Just a note that you can search for categories by putting in the main keyword and letting the program come up with options for you. Not using the whole title works better.

6. makingamark profile image70

Is there a site map somewhere of existing categories - which allows to check out what the alternative locations might be for some topics?

Yes.

1. RockyMountainMom profile image67

I'll give you a chicken if you give us a link. 

(*In the interest of full disclosure, and due to continental logistics, this will need to be a picture of a chicken)

I looked but apparently am not up to this task.

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
          Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rocky Mountain Mom,

http://hubpages.com/topics/tree has the list of all the topics. And no, many of them don't really make sense. I write about Metaphysical subjects, a lot more than Astrology, and many of my hubs are in the wrong categories, and I've had to make do. Good luck at HP!

Many thanks Jean - that's a very helpful answer!

2. sockii profile image70
            sockiiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting that category list! I've bookmarked it as I've been stumped a few times already...and I'm thinking I'm more stumped seeing some of the topics that have categories with almost no/no content at all (Ancient Roman Fashion?!) while others are missing entirely (why "Coloring Pages for Kids" but no "Coloring Pages for Adults"?)

3. RockyMountainMom profile image67

Thank you kindly!  Should I still give Writer Fox a picture of a chicken?  (This offer was due to his reference to eating chickens on his bio, rather than any reason to think he'd actually want a picture of a chicken).  Here's a thank you picture from Montana in the mean time....
            http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9723709_f248.jpg

4. Writer Fox profile image31

The Topic tree is useful for finding the number of competing Hubs.  But it is beneficial to also check to see how the Topics and Categories are featured.

All of the Topics are linked from the homepage:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/9765173_f248.jpg

You can go here to see how the Topics and Hubs are displayed:
            http://hubpages.com/topics/all/1

The main Topics are in the left column.  When you click on a Topic, the left menu changes to show the main Categories in that Topic.  Clicking on one of the main Categories shows the Sub-Categories in the left menu.

Pay attention to the Google PageRank of the Category page you choose and the number of competing Hubs in that category.  Since a Hub can usually fit in more than one category, PageRank and competition can be the deciding factors in making your choice. This is because your Hub will receive a portion of the PageRank from the Category page.  If your Hub is going to appear on page 20 of a Sub-Category, it is better to look for another Category.  Hubs are displayed in order by QAP score.

Visitors to your Hub will probably not discover it through the Topic pages.  However, it is important to search engines how your Hub is listed.

You can change the Topic and Category any time you want to, so long as it is actually relevant to your Hub's content.

7. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

Christy will take a look at this tomorrow and provide some more color on the suggesting a category process.

1. calendarsblog profile image59
      calendarsblogposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That would be great - I can see a great many places in that category tree linked above where we've been stimulated to write about something on Squidoo, and you already have a very full category with no subcategories. Christmas gifts comes to mind, for instance. Those categories will be stockfull after all lenses have been imported.

I saw that - my point is the lack of subcategories there.

Post your suggestions here:
            http://hubpages.com/forum/category/6634

I think Paul is going to create a more streamlined process, based on what he says above:

They must be super busy right now, so as long as I know this is on the agenda, I'm in no hurry.

Christy monitors the thread I suggested for you.  Right now she wants to see at least 20 Hubs to open a new category.  If you have that many, post that information on that thread and suggest the category you want.

2. makingamark profile image70

Many thanks Paul - that would be very helpful.

3. Paula Atwell profile image67
      Paula Atwellposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good to hear, Paul. Thanks. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)