Commenter appears to be bragging about plagiarizing me . . .

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. joanhall profile image86
    joanhallposted 9 years ago

I just got a comment on a short story that I wrote (for those of you who know me, it was NOT the Cinderella story; it's another one).

The commenter said, "NICE!!! NOW I GOT A+++ ON MY TEST!!!"

There is no factual information in the story that could have helped anyone pass a test of knowledge, so I can only assume that it was a writing assignment.

The commenter's name was "ANONAMOUS" (you would think that Anonamous's teacher would have suspected the story was plagiarized because everything was spelled correctly).

I know there's nothing I can do about it.  I just felt like venting.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

More likely someone building a spam profile.  they do this by trying to look like a real account by posting completely random comments.

joanhallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Would they be able to get a benefit like that when there is no link attached to their username?  Or is the link just not showing up because the comment is still pending my approval (I'n new to HubPages, so not sure how that part works)?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you spam on the first comment you get banned right away as first comments are often moderated.  If you get several inane cut and paste comments approved then you can get through a dozen spams before being stopped.  It is a common strategy.  they will have just used a generic comment that would apply to many hubs as they tend to be non-fiction articles.

joanhallposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ah, I get it.

I hope that's the case.  I think I would prefer a spammer to a thief.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Here is a link to a post with instructions as to how to set up comments for your approval or denial.  http://authorcheryl.hubpages.com/questi … -are-shown

If they are a HP member report them.

4. Craftypicks profile image76
    Craftypicksposted 9 years ago

Well some kid did well on their English paper. My Sister in law is a College professor and requires the kids to submit papers electronically. She then checks them for duplicate copy. She catches kids all the time.

5. DealForALiving profile image77
    DealForALivingposted 9 years ago

This is some really awful stuff. I hope no one out there is copying my content!

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not much one can do if a person is submitting handwritten articles for school work.  I do get requests at times from college students requesting to quote some of my material here, on my blog and on my website.  I usually give them permission to do so as long as they credit it.  Most colleges allow that as long as credit is given on the paper to the author.

However, this evening I have been keeping busy by filing against folks who are copying my work online.  It is not as hard as it used to be to file and I usually get good results in a fairly short period of time.  The below link is good for filing a DMCA complaint with Google, but keep in mind, when Google pulls the page from search and cache, it still sits on other search engines.  The only pages I know they will take down are Blogger pages as Blogger is owned by Google.

Report alleged copyright infringement: Web Search
      https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools … otice?rd=1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)