Has your commenter level affected by new HP updates?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (24 posts)
  1. bravewarrior profile image87
    bravewarriorposted 9 years ago

I love the new look of the hubs. The share buttons are in the right place (as evidenced by other popular blogs/site). My Hub Score has even gone up, although my Hubber Score continues to oscillate.

What I don't understand is my commenter level has gone down. To be honest (and this is detrimental to my freelance business), I spend a great part of my day commenting on hubs. My habits have not changed, so why has my level gone down a notch?

Has anyone else seen this with the new HP updates?

Can anyone provide information as to how commenter levels are gauged?

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How does commenting on hubs help your freelance business?  HP doesn't pay us for comments made or received.  Is some outside party paying you to comment?

bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No. Perhaps I didn't phrase it properly or you simply misinterpreted my statement. I meant that if I didn't spend so much time commenting on hubs, I'd have more time to devote to building my freelance business.

I'm am the last person on HubPages that you need to feel is manipulating the system. I'm very honest and play by the rules. I don't bite the hand that feeds me, nor do I burn my friends and co-workers.

1. profile image0
          calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Okay, sorry I was confused by what you wrote. 

In any case, the commenter level number doesn't affect your ability to leave comments or affect whether they are approved or denied by the author, so it shouldn't interfere with your usual activity if the number drops a little.

2. colorfulone profile image78
          colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I was confused too.

2. colorfulone profile image78

Over here 12 months ago you said, "I've been a level VIII commenter for well over a year. Today, I noticed I've been reduced to level VII, ,,,"
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/121632

On your profile page, I see you are still at Level VII accolade. 
      ? a bug maybe ?

I was back up to a level 8 until yesterday. This is the second time my commenter level has dropped a notch with no changes in my activity. I'd like to know why.

1. colorfulone profile image78

That does sounds like a question for the Technical Problems forums.

I will take that as a back door apology, Colorfulone. I also find the forums hard to navigate when I want to ask a question. I'm not sure if this is a technical problem or what. I posed my question where I thought it might fit and benefit others.

1. Venkatachari M profile image81
              Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I also find it hard to navigate on forums for asking something.
              What I feel surprised is, the commenter level going down. I did not know this can happen. It means, you have absconded for a longer period in replying to comments or commenting on other hubs. Even if you can read one hub daily and post a comment, your level will not go down, I hope.

Venkatachari, mine has gone down twice now. I don't understand it because my commenting habits have not changed. There's not a day go by that I don't leave comments.

1. Venkatachari M profile image81
                  Venkatachari Mposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Then it should be a serious problem requiring clarification from Hubpages administration. But, we don't have any such medium through which the admin can  be contacted. Posting on hub forum or emailing them does not appear to be efficient mediums. They take their own leisurely attitudes to address your problems. It is a pity.

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image86
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean and this happened to me but before the new things. I don't even check my level anymore it is so unfair.  I spent my life here practically and no credit for it but since that and its continuation I spend less time here and enjoying life much more so I guess I should thank them.

Jackie, I didn't notice it until I left a comment on a post Thursday. Wednesday I  was a level VIII - and have been for a couple of years. Thursday, I'd lost a point. This happened once before about 6 months ago, then it went back up. Again - my commenting habits have not changed. So the big question is: how are our commenting levels gauged?

4. Faith Reaper profile image82
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My commenter level is still an eight, but I tend to go on and on LOL.  I really never notice my commenter level and had to look at another's hub to see what it is.  I think you are doing all the right things, and not sure the new changes have any effect on one's commenter level.  Commenting takes tons of time, and even interferes with publishing for me, being I want to be supportive of others'' work I follow, but with my working in the city all day during the week and don't arrive home until after 10 hours or more.  Then there is always family events going on or my grands are up, as they are this weekend, so I have to steal a little bit of time here and there.

Maybe that's it, Faith. I need to be a bit more long in the tongue with my comments, although it's not always warranted. I try to support my HP friends, but also need to allow time for my business. Perhaps I've been leaving short replies without realizing it. Even still, I'd like to know how our commenter levels are measured and determined.

Happy Mother's Day!

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

If your commenter level goes down I think it just means you have not been commenting as much lately as you did when you earned the higher number. You have to constantly comment to keep your level up. It is just a label; it really doesn't gain you anything, so unless you just have tons of time on your hands or want to keep your level number high for the fun of it, I wouldn't worry about it.

1. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree. When I got very busy and wasn't able to comment as much, my commenter level slipped one level. When I commented more, it went back up. What bugs me is one week of fewer comments will drop your level, but months of increased commenting don't budge it up. It has taken me three years to get to a level VII because I can't spend all day reading and commenting.

3. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

HP has no comment about my comments. Nary an accolade in sight. big_smile

1. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have a ton of comments on my hubs that I have not read and approved. I have let them get out of hand and now I can't face the task. They just keep piling up. What is wrong with me????

1. paradigm search profile image54
        paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The hard part is to start. big_smile

I knooooow I knooooowwww I neeeeeed to just dooo eeeeet......     but I don't want to, lol. I wonder how long they have been stacking up? I am a bad, bad, hubber. sad

1. paradigm search profile image54
            paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just do 10. big_smile

Great idea. Maybe tomorrow I will do ten.

lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)