Hub Quality

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (50 posts)
  1. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

I just spent 10 minutes hub hopping and can tell you there are some rare specimens out there trying to get through the net, over the wall and into publishing land. If you've never hub hopped before I recommend you give it a try, experience at first hand the desperate quality of the writing. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Inside, I'm doing both.
    What with the recent Squidoo transition and all, plus the Panda update, it's becoming clearer by the day that we'll need to up the quality of all our hubs. The sooner the better.

1. Faith Reaper profile image84
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well stated and I totally agree!  The sooner the better.

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This has been a steady, unwavering reality ever since the HubPages site first opened its doors.

3. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I stopped hub hopping because 99% of the hubs were unreadable, either because the authors weren't native English speakers or they were native English speakers but were completely clueless about spelling, grammar and sentence structure.

4. pateluday profile image51
      pateludayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Common Sense.

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

What Relache sez. Sadly, a certain amount of crappy Hubs were, are and always will be part of the mix around here.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

It can be an eye-opening experience, hub-hopping. You are on point, chef-de-jour. Love your description and the visual it gives of those rare specimens sneaking in over the wall. Where is the gatekeeper? Sounds like the White House. hmm

chef-de-jourposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Imagine that! I wonder how many of these critters get over the wall? I hope the walls are high and the keepers never sleep. Seriously, these very poor hubs could be holding us all back when it comes to inspections by General Google's Pandas and penguins.

4. joanhall profile image85
    joanhallposted 9 years ago

Wow.

I'm a recently transferred Squid, and when I went hub-hopping I assumed that they were assessing my hopping skills by intentionally starting me with some awful hubs to see if I would evaluate them properly (with a couple of good ones mixed in to see if I could tell the difference).

So those were really real?

Yes, I think so. I'm not sure what happens after the hop, presumably those hubs that aren't up to much are politely told to come back another day and try again - in a different disguise?

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Those are all real, in fact, the authors all just hit the publish button. 

That used to all go live on the site too, before the Featuring concept got invented in the wake of things like Penguin and Panda.

I'm going back to the hop just to reassure myself that what I saw on my first trip there was an exceptional load of tripe. Perhaps I'll be hopping better quality hubs second time round?

5. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

joanhall: No it wasn't a test or a joke, but hubs???  for real.

6. LindaSmith1 profile image60

chef-de-jour    LOL!  Good luck!

7. MsBizPro profile image76
    MsBizProposted 9 years ago

I hub hop pretty regularly and it's usually 50/50. I've found some exceptional hubs and some... not so much.

1. MsBizPro profile image76
      MsBizProposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I just hopped three to see what the status is these days. The first one was nearly incoherent. The second was passable (some grammatical errors and weird photo choices, but offered some good, original information). The third was excellent (no noticeable errors in spelling, punctuation, or diction; easy-to-read formatting; credible, accurate information).

I'll try again later and see what I get.

2. chef-de-jour profile image97

My second hopping experience was marginally better. I need to do more. I take it if I flag a hub the HP team will investigate but if I don't? It'll get over the wall and into publishing land?

8. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

I hub hop a few times daily, but only manage three hubs at a time. Reading too many exceptionally bad hubs impairs my perception of what really might be good, or, better said, what really isn't good.

9. joanhall profile image85
    joanhallposted 9 years ago

So if someone who is an author of some atrocious hubs goes hub-hopping, they would see nothing wrong with other people's atrocities and would give them the thumbs-up, right?  Is there some kind of quality control over the quality control process?

At this moment in time HP needs all the help it can get. If these poor quality hubs are being published - and the hub hopping isn't that efficient a process - can anyone google them and discover them? That wouldn't put HP in a good light at all.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's doubtful that those who 'write' those hubs would ever hub hop.  I catch hubs on the feed, but don't spend time hub hopping anymore.

10. Craftypicks profile image76
    Craftypicksposted 9 years ago

I did it too and I ran into some really bad Hubs. I ran into some really good ones too. The bad ones were bad. Half broken English with no photos. Ideas that were scattered and had no flow.

If we hub hop and find bad quality hubs we should flag them immediately right?

1. FatFreddysCat profile image93
        FatFreddysCatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Indeed we should. In fact, we should take sadistic pleasure in doing so. MOOOWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

1. LindaSmith1 profile image60
          LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Chef:  You find copied content, spun content in the hopper as well. Easy to spot them.

2. chef-de-jour profile image97

Typical cat.
          Teasing the mouse.

2. Solaras profile image94
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's my experience that there is a lot of copied content out there too.  You can tell the copied content because it typically has no images and only one capsule. Sentences are well written, but concepts are out of order.  They have removed some sentences and rearranged others to avoid the copied content flag. 

Often these are copied from medical text books or job hunting tips that are reused all over the internet. One paragraph I plugged into Google came back with over 40 articles with almost identical content in it.  It does not take long to report it, and hopefully it gets removed quickly.

11. LindaSmith1 profile image60

The Hub Hopper is designed to test and calibrate the accuracy of those using it, so only accurate ratings are given weight.

At HubPages Headquarters, a special team, known as the Gold Panel, meets every week to discuss quality standards. They also regularly rate Hubs using the Hopper, and their ratings are used as a standard to which other Hoppers are held.

If three or more Gold Panel hoppers give a Hub the same rating, that rating becomes a Gold Rating and the Hub becomes a Gold Standard Hub. Those who are new to the Hopper start off by rating Gold Standard Hubs, which gives a good idea of which Hoppers’ ratings can be trusted.
    http://hubpages.com/faq/#hopper-credibility

Based on their ratings of Gold Standard Hubs, Hoppers’ biases are corrected in future ratings. For example, if one Hubber is particularly harsh with her ratings, our system corrects for her harshness.

Weighted averages of ratings are collected for Hubs. Ratings from very accurate people are given more weight while ratings from inaccurate people are given less weight. Ratings from very inaccurate people are ignored altogether.

To protect Hubs against changes in Hopper accuracy, Hoppers are given new Gold Standard Hubs to rate occasionally and their accuracy scores are re-calibrated accordingly.

Finally, ratings from the Hub Hopper are not our only means of assessing a Hub’s quality. Hubs are also rated via internal, automated systems, and may also be rated by HubPages staff members and casual readers.

Linda thank you for shedding light on the hh process. I have a couple of questions after reading your comment:

i) calibration is dependent on regular hopping from regular hubbers but what if the majority of hh is done by one-off hubbers who might hop 3 hubs one week, none the next and 6 a month later? Would the panel have to ignore this input?

II) are poor quality hubs considered by the panel even if they get flagged/reported?

iii) there must be thousands of hubs to be hopped each week, how many are stored so to speak, pending final decision?

iv) would it be wise to incentivize hh for those hubbers with a good track record of accuracy?

12. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 9 years ago

This, unfortunately, is the reason that I rarely hub-hop any more. It's a sad waste of time. sad

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Having done some hub hopping myself, I agree with you 100%.

13. lisavollrath profile image92
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I mentioned this in another thread:

I'm on Mechanical Turk, so when I saw HubPages jobs appear, I signed up, took the test, and was approved. I hopped for pay for a few hours, rating honestly, according to the chart I was given.

The next day, I discovered I had been removed from the HubPages program, for rating hubs too low. Except, according to the chart, and what I was seeing, I wasn't rating them too low. I was rating some seriously bad writing, giving it the low ratings it deserved, and got canned for it.

That Gold Standard? It needs a really good polishing.

Yes it does need polishing.  I wonder what the skills are of those they have kept on at MT!   Those charts tell you what they want, but yet you rate the hubs accordingly, you are doing it wrong.  But, they don't really tell you what you did wrong. 

I did 15, then got dropped because I scored to low on their test, which really, according to HP was not a test because there is no right or wrong.

Funny, how if we use the Hub Hopper on HP, which is what is used on MT, we are fine to do it for free!

2. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh DEAR!   HubPages should have retained you in MTurk status for honestly assessing some of these hubs.  If there was more honest assessment such as yours, the quality of hubs would improve immensely!

14. Shorebirdie profile image74
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

I've only done a little hub hopping and most of mine that I saw were pretty good.  They were well written and full of information.  There were a couple that looked like they were written by someone struggling with English, but most of the ones I saw were decent.

15. Glenda Motsavage profile image69
    Glenda Motsavageposted 9 years ago

Just finished hopping some Hubs for only the second time since I've been on HP.  I ditto most of the remarks in this thread regarding the poor quality of many of them.  Question: I just realized that the photo credit source is listed on the Hubs we're reviewing.  Doesn't that nullify the "anonymous" nature of the review process?

16. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Glenda: I don' t quite understand what you are asking because photos should have credit given to the source.  You may mean that the profile photo of the author appears, which is part of the hubs!   Those who wrote the hub do not know who hopped their hub, or those who may have reported it with or without seeing it in the hub hopper.

1. Shorebirdie profile image74
      Shorebirdieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Some of the photos have the hub author's name in the credits.  Many of mine do.

Oh!  I do the same thing because HP will know it is my photo.  I add owned and taken by myself, Linda Smith. Not for reuse to it.

This way we are providing the source and the attribution is for ourselves.  That way, there can be no question as to whether we are actually allowed to use the photos we are using.

2. Glenda Motsavage profile image69
        Glenda Motsavageposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Shorebirdie  "Some of the photos have the hub author's name in the credits.  Many of mine do." 

Yes, ALL of mine do.  I only use my own photos.  That's what I'm referring to when I say it loses the anonymous factor.  In other words, the person doing the Hub-hopping can readily see who authored the article.  Doesn't that leave the door open for bias?

We know who authored the hub even without photos.

I just saw a hub with a name that is under photo, but it is not the author of the hub. I clicked to see if source was available.  The source page from Flickr appeared. Too bad they did not mention Flickr along with name of owner of the image.  But, at least the source is there by clicking on the attribute.

1. Glenda Motsavage profile image69

@LindaSmith1  "We know who authored the hub even without photos."

How so?  When I Hub-hop I do not see the Author's profile photo.  If there are no photos used in the article and I 'Search' the Hub Title I do not find it - probably because it isn't featured yet.  Can you help me to understand how we know who the author is?  Thanks so much!

17. LindaSmith1 profile image60

It makes no sense does it, gmwilliams?

18. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

After a long gap I wrote a couple of Hubs - neither of which I expected to get through QAP.  Personal, slapdash, uninformative and pointless.  I only wrote them for a bit of an HP rant.  No purpose to anyone else in the world.

Both of them were approved.

In the past it seemed QAP was a bit tougher and I figure they are busy at the moment - or have been instructed to go easy.

19. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Glenda: When you click on hop some hubs the new way comes up with the various categories that you rate in each one. 

In the black box, you will see Classic Hopper which is what I use. When you use the Classic hopper, you see the name of the author, and you click up, down, etc and the report button that brings of list of things that you can report hub for such as duplicate content.

In the new way, in the black box, at the top, there is a report button as well.

1. Glenda Motsavage profile image69

@LindaSmith1  "In the black box, you will see Classic Hopper which is what I use. When you use the Classic hopper, you see the name of the author, and you click up, down, etc and the report button that brings of list of things that you can report hub for such as duplicate content."

Okay, Linda.  Now I understand!  I never used Classic Hopper until now.  In that mode, yes, I do see who the Author is.  Just my opinion: I'd rather NOT know who authored it - I prefer that information to be anonymous during the review process.  Also, we can only rate it with a 'thumbs-up' or 'thumbs-down' - nothing more specific than that (like the scale used in the other mode)?  Thanks for helping me understand the Hub-hopper process!

20. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Glenda: I prefer the classic hopper.  It does not matter about organization, etc IF content has been copied, if it has fluff and the rest products.

21. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

I like the Classic HH. Sometimes I will look at the author's profile and see it is the first hub he/she has written.

22. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

LindaSmith. The Gold Team training in calibration sounds exactly like other writing test scoring practices. I have scored the AP test and am familiar with scoring the SAT and state-based tests.

Several people mentioned getting paid to hop hubs and rate them. What is the process of getting considered for that? Thanks.

23. LindaSmith1 profile image60

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)