Ability to Edit Poll and Comments Capsules Without Wiping Out Data

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Lionrhod profile image79
    Lionrhodposted 9 years ago

This may have been asked for before, but I couldn't find it in search.

Sometimes after writing a poll, or setting up the title of a comment capsule, I'd notice a typo or think of a change I wanted to make or a poll option I should have added. But once the hub goes live, and a single person adds a comment or picks a poll option, we don't have any way to fix that poll/comment area with out losing all the data/comments.

Even changing the poll color background is impossible. (Which I'd like to be able to do, because it looks cleaner.

I know we were able to fix this sort of thing on Squidoo. I do realize it might be challenging for HP, but I'd really love if they'd consider changing the way the polls/comments hold data so that title/poll options and background color can be edited.

1. makingamark profile image69
      makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Me too - thumbs up to that one!

2. Valerie P Davis profile image74
      Valerie P Davisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's an excellent suggestion.

3. profile image0
      sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just ran into that problem this morning while updating an older hub. My problem was a typo in one of the poll answers and I couldn't change it without losing a dozen responses. I also have a few I'd like to change by adding an choice or two because people have left comments saying they didn't answer because none of the choices fit. That could easily be fixed if we could edit without losing results. Hopefully, HP can find a way to give us the option to edit polls without losing the data already collected.

Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Exactly what I'm hoping for.

Engagement in our polls shows engagement in our hubs, so we don't want to mess with that.

We still need to be able to edit.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lionrhod,

The reason behind this is that we don't want Hubbers manipulating the Poll's data or misrepresenting the results after the fact. If we allowed data to remain, Hubbers could change the answers so that it looked like the poll favored whichever answer they wanted it to. Of course, most Hubbers would never do this intentionally, but making it impossible allows Hubbers and readers to have full confidence in Poll results on HubPages.

1. profile image0
        sheilamyersposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Christy. I can see the logic behind that reasoning.

2. PegCole17 profile image94
        PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Christy for supporting the stand to allow no editing of polls after they're published and data has been gathered. Of course, we'd like to assume that everyone is honest, yet, the basic concept of statistical data collection is at stake when you allow the results (or choices) to be manipulated after data collection in a survey or poll.
        If you add other alternatives afterward, you may have proven a point that doesn't match the intent of the respondent had they been given these choices up front. The scientific method is key to valid data collection.

2. sockii profile image69
    sockiiposted 9 years ago

I third, fourth or whatever we're up to for having the option to edit polls. Not just because of typos but because I would like to fix how some of my polls look after being imported from Squidoo but I can't do that without losing all of the data in them. As I have some polls with hundreds if not thousands of responses at this time, I certainly don't want to lose all of that data!

3. newbizmau profile image88
    newbizmauposted 9 years ago

I just made  HOTD on a newly written lens. Of course there may be a typo or badly written phrase but this happen to be right on one of my polls. Now I don't want to wipe out the stats on the polls just to fix the typo. Its not that bad, I just could have written the question differently that made more sense. Really wish there was a fix for this in the future. Good luck tech team.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Just a note, you only lose your data when you fix/change anything other than the capsule title.

5. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I guess the other option would be to allow us to use external software for polls like Polldaddy on HubPages?

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

It sure would be fun to change the poll AFTER voting has taken place.

7. Shades-of-truth profile image83
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

I was surprised to hear that one of the reasons, was that Hubbers might change the answers or otherwise manipulate the results. That would never have crossed my mind.

However, I wanted to add a few more items to one of my hubs, and realized that if I did, the poll would no longer be all-inclusive of the individual subjects of the capsules.

For instance, if I had a poll that asked which one of my animals someone liked the most, and the answers were:

Your orangutan
    Your hamster
    Your squirrel
    Your dog

...and I wished to add "Your guinea pig" and "Your rabbit", I cannot do that.

Perhaps I only spoke about the first four, and then edited the hub to include two more of my animals.

The way the poll capsules are now, I would lose all previous poll results if I added two more animals.

I would also like to see the ability to edit polls.

Lionrhodposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This and typos (not to mention just simple background colors to make the page look better, because we didn't have a choice when our pages were migrated) is exactly what I had in mind.

Back at Squidoo, we had the option to ask "something else?" and then allow the viewer to add their something else.

Author fraud never even vaguely occurred to me. Nor do I feel it's a terribly valid concern unless we're conducting a strict statistical poll and those numbers are being used to collect scientific data. (And who exactly would be using that data without doing their own much more controlled studies?)

IMO the idea of including a poll is 1) To provide a fun, interactive experience for the viewer. 2) For the authors themselves to get a better idea of what their viewers might be interested in them writing about.

For instance, if Shades found out that everyone was interested in her hamster, then she might want to write more hubs about her hamster. raising hamsters, creating habitats for hamsters, BBQ hamster recipes (well maybe not) and so forth.

It also never occurred to me that the data on HP polls might be considered "trusted." Trusted by whom? And why? Because a random collection of folks who happened to find that particular hub happened to believe something or other? Not scientific enough for me to base my livelihood on.

As an example, I'm working on my first new hub here which happens to be focused on an (ethical) love spell. On one of the polls I asked if the viewer had ever done a love spell. One of the options I allowed was, "No, I don't believe in doing spells." I think it's a fair and valid option for several reasons. First, it gives those who are anti-spell a chance to vent. (Since I for darn sure might be denying comments if anyone sets up a rant against my religion without making a valid point.) Nor will I be using that particular data part of the data base any further articles on.I'm more interested in the folks who are "not yet," "maybe" and "absolutely" types. The "no ways" aren't my audience, after all.

Yep, it's entirely possible that I'll be sorry I included that option and that I'll get slammed with 10,000 folks who hate Wicca. So be it. I still have no intent of removing the data or changing the options around so that it looks like I fudged things. That'd be more than silly. Nor do I expect that the viewers who actually come to my page will be worried by huge numbers of that choice. After all, they're most likely going to find my hub if they're LOOKING for a spell. If anything it might give them a good laugh.

1. Shades-of-truth profile image83
        Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good points, Lionrhod. I often vote in polls, and like it when the author gives an option such as "I don't believe in love spells", or "I would never eat an oyster", or things like that. Sometimes, controversy is great, and the polls can encourage interaction with the public.

Like you, I would never think of altering the results to suit my fancy!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)