Join the 'Cleaned and Healed' Club - Beat Editbot

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

Well I have done it. Over 600 hubs cleaned of the wounds inflicted by Editbot and the Bandaids posted all over my hubs to conceal the unfixed 'errors?@$5^'.  No more bot robot symbols on my profile - Ahhh it is so nice.

Membership is free and open. Join us in being Cleaned and Healed in the C&H Club.

Simply edit your hubs to correct the 'errors?@$5^' found by Editbot. Hard to do, and there are several tricks to make it work, but it can be done. Should be more or less permanent.

Cheers

1. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for the information. I am on it to get those symbols to go away. So far the corrections I have are valid and none in comments. Oh well . . . also I have only 7 hubs today, so not the task of many others here. Certainly a stark contrast with your Hub count and others. I am empathetic with your endeavor with this change.

1. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Where can I find your other beautiful works, Tim?

1. tsmog profile image84

They are all stored on my PC. I am sitting on them and editing while I have been seeking learning being an 'internet' writer. I plan to bring a portion of those former hubs back, although I may create a separate Hub Account to separate them from Niche articles / groupings. As I adjust to new life changes I may develop a Blog using Blogger or some such or maybe use Weebly. I am tossing and turning while flipping coins :-)

Thanks for the reply. I may like to read them when you come up with the refreshed posts and blogs. Wish you all the best.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thanks :-) I am hanging around lurking more than participating. The editing of the Hubs is slow with life changes.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I hate to say this, but you may have done a lot of hard work for nothing.  Just yesterday I read a little blurb that mentioned that at some point, the bots will be swinging back through again.  Oh Goody!

2. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

I've also manually corrected my hubs.

Before my edits: 40 bots in stats
    After edits: 35 bots in stats.

So does that mean those 35 little bots stuck on my stats page refer to comment "errors" which I can do nothing about?

?
    ?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You can uncheck the box next to the bot correction and the word will revert to what the commenter typed.

janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

yes, but the bot tag remains. It is also likely the option will be reversed next time Editbot is run - it will try to make the same change. (my guess about this)

2. janderson99 profile image53

It is complicated. But it appears that the techos are gradually developing a way to remove the bot symbols when you edit a hub, and get the signal "no corrections found" after an edit. The Edibot buttons at the top of the page are also disappearing for corrected hubs.

The trick is that you need to change the context of the 'offending word' or sometimes to choose an alternative phrase. For example use 'fry' for 'saute'; 'appetizer' for 'entree'. Often simply changing the word before or after the highlighted word will also cancel the correction. For example, if you had 'a play ground' which was changed to 'a playground' by Editbot, then using 'playgrounds' or 'the playground' will work to switch off the tag. Sometimes simply editing the original to 'playground' for example will not work.

You know when it works because the "show errors' button on top of the page disappears.

OK its a lot of work but it should be permanent, so you only need to do it once for each hub.
      Cheers

PS you need to delete comments with Editbot found errors in them as you cannot edit them.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image94
        cat on a soapboxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you!! I did this and was successfully able to get rid of the robot icons:)  There are still two comment editbot icons left but no corrections are shown for those hubs, and I see no mistakes. Any suggestions?

There appears to be a bug in the system that prevents the icon symbol's departure once you have edited the hub, and the 'corrections button disappears'. A fix was promised "soon"???

The two that are left never showed any corrections.

3. janderson99 profile image53

@Sue. have a look and see if the Button at the top of the page has disappeared for the hubs you edited. If so, the symbol will disappear shortly. If the button remains you have to edit the remaining 'errors". Comments with errors have to be deleted to get rid of the symbols. As explained above, even when you accept the change recommended, ('playground' for 'play ground' the symbol will stay as will the button. You have to do other stuff as explained previously. Messy.

3. Sue Adams profile image95

But I want to keep the comments, including their corrections. Deleting comments breaks up the conversation, turns comments continuity into nonsense!

How do we get rid of the bots on stats page if we agree with comment corrections and want to keep our comments' flow - I.e. if we do no want to delete any comments?

Perchance the HP team will find a way for your acceptance of the editbot fixes to be recorded, including comments, and so to remove the symbol. Who knows??? My guess is that it is unlikely??? The silence is deafening.

4. Sue Adams profile image95

So is the "site-down" message every 5 minutes.

The site is down presently as they are doing some maintenance work. I got the message of site being on maintenance a while ago.

5. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

The notion that anybody could introduce an Editbot without a mechanism for authors to indicate they (1) have reviewed suggestions and will allow suggestions to stand and/or (2) have edited those they disagree with is quite LUDICROUS!

The mechanism is there. The tick means that you accept Editbot's changes (which is the default) or you can click to remove the tick to reject it. What is missing is a way to indicate that you have visited the page and made all the decisions. That is hard, as there is no way to record it for each 'error' on the page. Without this, there is no way to make the symbols disappear when you have reviewed the page because you do not go into edit mode. (It could be done - we will see!) Making changes to the original text, as I have done (including Editbot's suggestions or other options) is a permanent change - it is a real edit that gets recorded and the content is changed permanently. Anyway it depends on your point of view, what you want to do. You choose. If you love Editbot, then that is OK by me. I beg to differ.

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You've just take a lot more words to say exactly the same thing as me
        i.e. there is no signoff.

6. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 8 years ago

Personally, I am going to wait for HubPages to come up with a different system.  It is a waste of time changing the words only to find the system has been fixed, and I don't want to lose my keywords that might lose me SEO juice.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

I am not going to edit all my Hubs just to get rid of the bots.  Editing will send all my Hubs through QAP which means there's a risk some of them might be unFeatured under some of the sillier new rules, such as having fewer Amazon capsules even if all the ones you've got are totally relevant to your subject. 

I don't want to delete good comments and upset the flow of the comments section, either. 

I would rather wait and see how Editbot develops, my Hubs aren't suffering in the meantime so why worry?  The changes made on my Hubs are miniscule and don't affect my Hubs materially.  The Editbot has corrected a lot of spelling mistakes in the comments and if some of those are mistakes, I don't care - I still have far fewer mistakes in my comments than I had before Editbot!

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think that's a very reasonable position to take - if you are writing hubs which do NOT involve lots of proper names and words in foreign languages.

It's a bit of a nightmare if you're an author who does.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I use quite a lot of French and Spanish words in my dance Hubs and have been surprised to see the Editbot hasn't altered any of them.

2. WryLilt profile image89
        WryLiltposted 8 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY Marisa. I do not understand why everyone's so worked up. Most of the changes from the edit bot are miniscule.

Because we care and are proud of every detail.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
          Sherry Hewinsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The vast majority of changes to my hubs are obvious mistakes in comments. I'm glad to see them fixed.

7. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 8 years ago

I'm done and was surprised to see my views go up this morning.

8. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

Update ==>> Success!
    No more icons, buttons; No more Editbot 'errors' on any of my hubs
    After latest database clean-up all the icons for non-existent 'errors' have disappeared (Thanks HP staff!).
    10 or so hubs had to be re-edited to complete the fix.
    All clean now
    Cheers

Yay!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)