How to edit your hubs so that they are featured

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (71 posts)
  1. louise-barraco profile image38
    louise-barracoposted 9 years ago

Hi its Louise again, I was wondering if anyone knew how to edit your hubs so that they can be featured and how often you edit  them. I am trying to make blogging into a part time job or full time job but don't know how to get paid doing so and I am a horrible editor of my own stuff.  Please help

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If you want to make a real income from writing, then revenue-sharing sites like HubPages are not the way to do it.

You can learn a lot about writing online here, but the days of making a living from writing sites is long gone.  We have a handful of high-earning Hubbers, but:

(a) the internet is their full-time job and they probably work longer hours than most;
      (b) they started writing online years ago and their online portfolios have age and reputation;
      (c) they have extensive knowledge and experience in online writing, SEO and effective promotion.

It would take you years to get to the same position, and by that time HubPages might not even exist, things change so fast on the internet! 

It's better to regard HubPages as a writers' community where you can enjoy writing and learning from other writers, and earn a few dollars in the process.  If you happen to do well, that's a bonus.

Oh, and by the way,  HubPages is not a blog.  We do each have our own sub-domain, but that's just an administrative tool and the site is designed as one big magazine, on which we are all staff writers.  Most readers don't notice who wrote each article and will never visit your profile.   If you are trying to build your presence online and attract a following, then you need to start your own blog.

1. Cardisa profile image86
        Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+100000000000000000000

If I were depending solely on HP to make a living, I'd starve along with my dog. I had to learn how to freelance and do it well.

I have now reached a point where freelancing isn't doing it for me so I'm trying to find other routes to make money.

I learned a lot on HP but fiction has always been my passion. Writing articles is like a side job that I love. I think it's time I dedicate more time doing fiction while I try other avenues of making money online.

2. relache profile image73
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The two most important things being said in this thread.

3. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Are you part of the staff ?
        I think that if people want to make money here, they
        have the potential, as long as they work hard.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
          MelissaBarrettposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm fairly certain that Marisa Wright, as a long-time member of hubpages and one of its most successful writers, has the right to post her opinion without petty remarks. There is always quite a bit of value in what she has to say.

1. profile image0

What petty remark was that?
            Why is it anyone can say anything to me, but I'm viewed as petty when I ask a question ?
            If you must know..I asked her that because she used the words "We", and I got the idea she might be part of staff, but since I wasn't sure..I asked...and my question stands
            I stated my opinion that people can make money if they work hard.
            If people didn't think that, why would they stay here?
            There is also value in what I say
            This is why I stayed away from the forums for 2 years

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
              MelissaBarrettposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Are you part of the staff ?" was petty. I don't really care what anyone else said to you, I didn't see it and wasn't addressing it. Nor did I say that what you say doesn't have value, though I see none in the post I commented on.

1. profile image0

She didn't say anything to me, and I wasn't being petty.
                I didn't reply to something she said to me
                Are you going to attack me personally for asking someone else a question?

2. profile image0

You say you don't really care what anyone else said to me ?..wow I know you don't, and I don't care that you don't
                but I think this is enough now
                No one said anything to me, where are you getting this?

2. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Of course you can make money here, a few dollars, a few hundred dollars.  But what that post was pointing out us that you can no longer make an income here, the sort of money a person could live on like thousands each month like clockwork.  That used to be possible, now it is not.

1. profile image0

I guess it's good for those who have a spouse with an income, or to make enough money to buy what someone normally can't afford .
                I've read articles, and met people here who claimed to make good money.
                If that's not true anymore, why do you suppose it is?

2. Cardisa profile image86

Deborah, why be offended when she is giving sound advice? I have been here three years and my income has been cut in half. I have to be creating multiple blogs to be able to stay in the content world. I don't know what will happen to HP so having a blog or blogs is a backup plan. I too had put my trust here, hoping to make it full time, but alas, it ain't happening.

Many people sign up with HP with the intention of making a good income here...so what Marisa says is just putting things into perspective.

1. profile image0

Are you asking why I was offended?
            I wasn't offended...why should I be?

Sorry...I thought you were.

1. profile image0

Why did you think I was? What did I say?

I guess you asking Marisa if she was a part of the staff had me wondering if what she said offended you. Again, I am truly sorry for that assumption. Maybe you genuinely didn't know that she wasn't.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

No I'm not part of the staff, but I've been a member of seven years and I'm a blogger - and as any good online writer should do, I keep myself up to date with what's happening in the field of online writing.

I could tell you the whole story of HubPages' rise, fall, rise and fall again if you like because I've been here through it all. Combined with my research and experience elsewhere, I think I have a pretty good idea what the earnings potential of article writing sites is these days.    The fact that most of them have closed down should tell you something.

When I joined HubPages, there were many writers here who made a living from their writing - and they were on HubPages because it made a worthwhile contribution to their income.  I learned a huge amount from them.  You'll also find Hubs from them and others, still published, talking about their success - but they are outdated.   

Only a small handful of those Hubbers remain, because the income potential compared to other types of writing is now so poor.  Yes, you can still make money but what matters is how MUCH money?   

Of course, there are those writers who "just want to write" and don't want to climb the steep learning curve of earning from their own blog, or the slog of breaking into freelance writing.   For them, sites like HubPages give them an outlet for their creativity and allows them to earn something from it.  And it's a fun place to put pieces that don't fit your portfolio elsewhere.  It's not a living.

1. profile image0

I don't write on Hubpages for money, but because I feel I have something I want others to know.
            I already wrote one book, and I've had two poems published.. That's all I wanted to do with that.
            When my husband Joel, and I bought our business, we decided I would no longer work.
            Hubpages gives me a wide audience for my spiritual teaching which is what's important to me.
            I've been here 5 years

..and that's the kind of thing it's absolutely perfect for.   The OP is a journalist who said her goal was to make a living from her online writing.

1. profile image0

I know, and I was trying to encourage the person, that's what I do.
                We never know how willing someone is to succeed...or how hard they will work
                A lot of money to others may be a different amount than it is to us.
                I've known people to be satisfied, even happy with making $40,000 a year on a regular job

It's also important to be realistic.  It's up to the OP where she chooses to write - she may prefer to write on HubPages for a number of reasons, but I think it's important that she knows she's choosing something that will pay her less PER HOUR OF EFFORT than other avenues.  She may well be happy to put in longer hours to compensate for that, but she needs to know that's what's involved.

1. profile image0

You never did tell me why you feel people can't make the money they want.
                    What's changed ? Why it it harder than say five years ago ?

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
                Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can still earn a good supplemental income here though. If you want to earn a living, you need to have your work at many places. I have a website that earns more than I do here and a couple of blogs, but still don't earn enough to say I earn a living. I don't think Hubpages isn't a good place to start. I learned so much here.

I think it's a great place to start, so long as you treat it as a springboard, not an end in itself.

2. profile image0

I use to be a writer for Ehow, and it's how I started writing online.
              You didn't have to have an Adsense, or any other account, you shared in their revenue.
              The way they did it, I was actually getting paid for my writing. They paid us with the revenue they got from their Adsense account.
              But...it wasn't a nice place to write, as a matter of fact, it was horrible. They didn't treat me badly because I wrote and didn't say anything..but for the ones that did !!......I made good money there, but that's not why I was writing, so I left. I don't have an Adsense or Ebay account, and I make no money here..but
              At least Hubpages is pretty fair

2. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would use the guide in the upper right hand corner when you are editing a Hub. It tells you how many words you've written, to use different media, etc. If the Hub is missing any of those things, like low on text, then I'd work on adding quality text to it, for instance.

1. Sulabha profile image76
        Sulabhaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's a helpful advice.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think even before checking the boxes in edit mode, it helps to read through the hub carefully.  Does the title match the content? If not, that's the first place to edit.  If the content doesn't adequately answer or cover what the title asks/states, it will have a hard time being found via search.  Either rework the titles or edit the content and subheadings to give a completeness to the hub.  Will it satisfy a search query?  We don't just want our hubs featured, we want them to attract readers and keep them engaged.

I have one that just went unfeatured for engagement.  I know it needs a better title and some editing of the content.  I'm going to look at comparable articles in the search results and see how I can make a better title with search phrases and make sure I have related keywords in the content.  As it is now, it's not working, but from the comments I've received, I think it's worth fixing.

3. Blackspaniel1 profile image88
      Blackspaniel1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I just wish I knew why adding to a featured hub would make it no longer be featured, even after reversing the additions.  So getting featured may not be the end.  It said quality, but there were only about two sales links to Amazon and ebay and about 1000 words of content.  Can anyone comment on what kind of problem might esist, and no violations are showing.

louise-barracoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts exactly I am so confused as I have to edit all my blogs from squidoo but some are featured and I want to keep it that way

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

If it's just unFeatured, you can post it in the Improving Your Hub section and ask people for advice. 

http://hubpages.com/forum/category/2885

1. Blackspaniel1 profile image88
          Blackspaniel1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

But it seems illogical for something that is featured to become unfeatured. I added a module, then removed it to go back to where I started from.  Something is not working in the checking process.

I wrote a Hub explaining about Featured and UnFeatured.  You'll find it in the slider on my profile.

4. profile image0

Here's some of Hubpages' learning center sections
      http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Featured-Hubs

http://hubpages.com/faq/

5. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

blogging can't replace a full tim job nor a part time job, you can treat it as a spare change income because the earning is relatively low here. to edit your unfeatured hub, try to add in video, poll, table, images of your own and add in 2 sentences ( new )

1. makingamark profile image70
        makingamarkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Writing on HubPages is NOT blogging.

I find the perspective on HubPages about writing online varies hugely depending on whether or not an individual has developed independent sites (eg blogs) which are successful.

If you really want to find out whether or not your writing is good enough start a blog and see where it takes you.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

If the hub is unfeatured for traffic any change at all will work.  If ti is unfeatured for quality trying following the suggestions at the top right in edit mode.

3. louise-barraco profile image38

I was transferred from squidoo and am still trying to get used to hubpages thanks for all your help

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

One more thing:  If you do not have the ability to edit your own work, you have a real problem because to do well in any writing venue, you have to be able to analyze what you write and make corrections appropriately.

HP is a great teacher, and you will learn a lot here about online writing.  Perhaps you should use this site to hone your skills and then take them to another venue at a later time.

4. Kajal Jain profile image61
    Kajal Jainposted 9 years ago

Hello,
    I am a full-time writer/proofreader/editor from India.
    I can do the editing part for you and make your hub look good.

louise-barracoposted 9 years agoin reply to this
  5. louise-barraco profile image38

Thanks that helps a lot

6. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

Someone said that good quality hubs with little traffic get caught up with low quality hubs with little traffic in the unfeatured  process. That's why we have to work on them to get them featured again.

7. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

Here's The Learning Center Index
    http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/contents

8. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

Hi NateB11,

You can find a summary of guidelines on how to edit your hubs so that they are featured on this post:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/127101? … ost2681726

If you follow those guidelines for each and every one of your hubs, there is no reason why you couldn't have all your hubs featured and, like so many of us, make a 3 figure payout every month.

Good luck with your editing,

Sue

1. profile image0

I knew things weren't that bleak here, especially for those who work hard.
      There are many solutions to problems
      I'm glad to hear you make three figures, felicitations

A three figure payout could be $100 for all we know.   This is a good example of how the definition of "doing well" varies from person to person.

A person who is writing for the love of it may be happy to make payout once in a blue moon.  A person writing for pin money may be content with just reaching payout each month.    However, a person writing for a living would want to make several hundred dollars from HubPages to make it worth the time and effort.

1. profile image0

To find the figure in salary, change the word "figure" to "digit"

6 figure (6 digit) is anything not lower than  100,000 dollars.

5 figure (5 digits) is anything with 5 digits, like 10,000-99,000 .

4 Figure (4 digits) is 1,000 to 9,000

In speaking of salary figures-digits, the amount does not go below $1000.00 so there is no such thing as three digits
        I believe the hubber meant 4 digits

I think Sue did mean 3 digits.   She was talking about payout, not salary (which is my point of course).

1. profile image0

But the figure definitions would be the same in either scenario

Who says?   The expression "three figure salary" is never used, but that's simply because no one would ever earn a 3 figure salary.   It doesn't mean it's breaking some kind of rule to use that expression. 

Perhaps the best plan is to ask Sue what she meant.  However, I can think of only a couple of Hubbers who are earning more than $1,000 a month - and one of them has over 1,000 Hubs, which would equate to $1 or $2 per Hub per month.

1. profile image0

My husband and I are employers, and pay out salaries, so I guess I'm saying it.  We know there is no such thing as a three digit salary. Not because no one will work for that amount, but the term doesn't exist.

Like I said, you have to work hard, and if it takes 2000 hubs that creates  $3 income per hub each month, Then that's what yo have to do...for $6000.00 a month

The thing is you only have to write 2000 hubs once, so it's not as hard as it may seem

True, but what I'm trying to point out is that in the time it takes you to write 2,000 Hubs, you could create your own blog, or write several articles for clients, which would ultimately pay better. 

I'm not saying HubPages does not pay, I'm saying that if you compare different writing jobs on the basis of a rate per hour, it is on the lower side.   

For example, I met many freelance writers who were active members of HubPages in the days when payouts were higher, because the income was more comparable - now it's not worth their time - and the proof is that you'll see very few freelance writers here. 

I also didn't say there was such a thing as a three digit salary.   Sue was referring to a payout.  That is not a salary and I would be very surprised if her payout is in four digits.   Well done to her if it is.

I just saw this post in another forum from Sue, confirming that the "3 digit" payout was NOT a typo:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/127101? … ost2682804

1. profile image0

The Hubber calls it a monthly income, not a payout
            http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/127101? … ost2682804

I just asked Sue directly here:
            http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/127101? … ost2683056

I'll be interested to see what she says.   It seems unlikely that she made the same typo twice, since Sue rarely makes typos anyway.

9. paperfacets profile image85
    paperfacetsposted 9 years ago

While reading this thread I decided to add that I like any information shared on our forum. If you have been writing here for awhile I take into account what you have learned here and you do not have to be an employee.

We all know the Internet enough to know what information to ignore and what will work. So join the discussion. Any tips, observations, and a few opinions are much more interesting than a single link I should go to to read. I have read the Hub Pages info and oddly I am still muddled.

1. profile image0

Ask the questions, and I'll be happy to share anything I know.
      It's good to search through all the threads first to see if the answer is already there
      There is a lot of redundancy, and some questions and answers are posted again, and again

10. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 9 years ago

Sorry Marisa but this thread is about "How to edit your hubs so that they are featured".

Not about "How can I make a living from HubPages?"

That may be the title of the thread but the OP said "I am trying to make blogging into a part time job or full time job but don't know how to get paid doing so and I am a horrible editor of my own stuff."

I read that to mean she wanted help editing as part of her goal to make money from her writing.   Since that raises a whole other question, I felt it was important to address that.

11. chefmancave profile image72
    chefmancaveposted 9 years ago

I use a program called Grammerly. I write all my articles in MS Word first. I then let Grammerly make all it's suggestions. I try to correct all the mistakes/suggestions that Grammerly finds. Grammerly also has a nifty Plagerism checker. After I am satisfied with the article in MS Word, I will use cut-n-paste to create the Hub article. Grammerly is an add-on to MS Word and costs $99 per year.

12. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

At times when we express our thoughts, and opinions, it can easily turn into a debate,
    Debate can lead to some seriously hurt feelings
    We' all react differently to words, opinions, and situations
    Anyway I hope something I do or say helps someone, and nothing I do  offends too much

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)