More Amazon Changes?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. pnerissa profile image58
    pnerissaposted 15 years ago

I received this in my morning email and because it's early I was wanting a second opinion on it. Does this mean that we're not getting paid by Amazon anymore?

Dear Amazon Associate:

We’re writing to let you know about a change to the Amazon Associates Program. After careful review of how we are investing our advertising resources, we have made the decision to no longer pay referral fees to Associates who send users to www.amazon.com, www.amazon.ca, or www.endless.com through keyword bidding and other paid search on Google, Yahoo, MSN, and other search engines, and their extended search networks. If you're not sure if this change affects you, please visit this page for FAQs.

As of May 1, 2009, Associates will not be paid referral fees for paid search traffic. Also, in connection with this change, as of May 1, 2009, Amazon will no longer make data feeds available to Associates for the purpose of sending users to the Amazon websites in the US or Canada via paid search.

This change applies only to the Associates programs in North America. If you are conducting paid search activities in connection with one of Amazon’s Associates Programs outside of the US and Canada, please refer to the applicable country’s Associates Program Operating Agreement for relevant terms and conditions.

We appreciate your continued support and participation in this advertising Program. If you have questions or concerns, please write to us by using the Contact Us form available on Associates Central.

Sincerely,

The Amazon Associates Program

2. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

Basically, it sounds like you shouldn't use the keyword option. Stick with picking products by ASIN.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No, that's not what it means at all.

Whether you use the keyword or ASIN option, you are not sending users to the Amazon site via keyword bidding or other paid search functions.  As several people have pointed out, this change in the Amazon Associates doesn't effect those of us using their services via HubPages.

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

The PPC change will have no effect on us at hubpages.

The datafeed could, If it was going to then whitneys solutions would hopefully work well. I think the capsules would classify as widgets and are not " data feeds " I see no suggestion that widget use will be not be credited.

But if this was true:

Hopefully hubs could just make the capsule serve ads for non north american programs?

Not including datafeeds is most likely a measure intended to stop the use of automated scripts that create amazon stores automatically it would be a shame if it effected hubs.

4. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

This should have no effect on HubPages.  They are trying to prevent affiliates from buying paid search ads that go directly to Amazon.  Paid search ads are the sponsored links that appear along side of search results.  Amazon likely has their own paid search program, and they apparently don't want affiliates competing with them (in North America anyway).

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

the ppc part is obvious....the data feed question begs a definitive answer

are hubcapsules "data feeds"...or are widgets a different classification

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The data feeds clause also only applies to paid search.

1. pnerissa profile image58
          pnerissaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul. It was the widgets I was concerned with and I think you answered it. I also checked the Q & A section of Amazon and found this that refers to just the paid search:

Q: Will I earn referral fees on items that are ordered in April by a customer through my paid search advertisement but that ship on or after May 1, 2009?
          A: The referral fees rates you were eligible to earn in April will apply to all qualifying products that are placed in a shopping cart prior to May 1, 2009, by a user who followed your accurately tagged paid search advertisements, as long as that user completes the purchase on or before July 29, 2009. However, you will not be paid fees items that are placed in a shopping cart on or after May 1, 2009, by users who follow your paid search advertisements.

5. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

I think it means no adwords biding on amazon products and by extension there shall be no amazon products on adsense.

6. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

ahh...alright. smile thank you Mr. Pauldeeds, you are wonderful! awesome! fantastic! quick! shall I go on smile wink thank you.

7. Pat Merewether profile image59
    Pat Merewetherposted 15 years ago

I haven't gotten anything from Amazon for months - sold five items via my hub pages and that shows on my report on amazon, but since about January - nothing at all.  May be a link problem? 

I keep adding Amazon products that are relative to my articles - but nothing happens - so is this new announcement mean I shouldn't add more? I keep sending emails to Amazon about it - but can't get a reply.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

the new announcement is completely irrelevant to hubpages and to your problem

8. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

I have been adding amazon books by use of the ASIN numbers to relevant hubs but not getting any sales, I don't know how to increase sales for amazon products. Maybe its the topic I am choosing to write about. Just like its been already stated it seems that if anyone is using paid search they will not be able to use the associate referral program with amazon. It just boils down to the fact that companies want more viral and natural search results.

9. lindagoffigan profile image57
    lindagoffiganposted 15 years ago

I received the same email and immediately started deleting the Amazon capsule from my hub.  However, the American way is not to say no to yourself and I am received information about updating my Amazon account for payment.  When I received the email about my Amazon account and stopped deleting the Amazon capsule and decided to get in the wait and see mode.  Maybe the email from Amazon was a follow through with the email about Amazon no longer paying.  But until I get my Amazon account straight and can still rely on eBay, I am going to leave the Amazon capsule alone.

10. my-success-guru profile image55
    my-success-guruposted 15 years ago

Did I read that correctly? No more Amazon affiliate program???

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

See Paul's responses above.  This does not affect HubPages.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just have faith - that will get you through this difficult time.......

Or, as Misha says - you could read the email. big_smile

3. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think what we've learnt from this thread is that you can't read correctly.

1. kashifmahmood profile image39
        kashifmahmoodposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Or you can say that Hubbers do not ready their mails carefully big_smile

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Would you people actually bother to read what email says exactly? If you can't do this, just try to read Relache's or Paul's post, they made a nice summary for you...

12. lindagoffigan profile image57
    lindagoffiganposted 15 years ago

Thanks Pauldeeds for you answer about the Amazon Affiliate Marketing email.   As you stated, Hubpages will not be effected so I should not delete Amazon as an affiliate marketing tool or delete their capsule from the hub.  Amazon is trying to stop the paid search in the ads to go directly to Amazon.  Amazon probably have a paid search of its own.  Surprising email notification, a few replies from hubbers and the right answer received from a HubPage crew member.    Hubpage writers are not effected and need not take any action but to keep writing hubs.

Thanks Paul Deeds.

13. laringo profile image60
    laringoposted 15 years ago

Thanks Paul for clearing this up. I got the same email but wasn't positive about whether it would affect me or not.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)