jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

DMCA filing - Has this ever happened?

1. profile image75
    Roohi Khanposted 2 years ago

Hi everyone,

I filed a DMCA about one of my stolen Hubpages article and reported about 6 links. I did not receive any notification for 4 of these, which still appear as pending. But I received a notification about 2 of the other links stating that my content was not found at these 2 links.

When I did click at these links, I found a "page not found" message appearing in one of the links. For the other, I found a completely different article, but on the same subject.

It is quite surprising, since I did find the content at these links. So, how come the content was removed even before Google could take any action?

This has happened earlier also. But at that time I just dismissed it thinking I may have reported in error. But it has happened again.

Not sure what happened? Any ideas?

1. Suzanne Day profile image96
      Suzanne Dayposted 2 years ago in reply to this

This happens if the domain expires and was not renewed or maybe someone else DMCA'd it before you did. Also had this happen a few times to me too! It's a good thing because they are removed wink

1. mary615 profile image92
        mary615posted 2 years ago in reply to this

I had  a Blogger who stole my favorite poem.  I commented on her blog asking her to remove it.   I also commented my intention of filing a complaint.  She did not, but after I filed a DMCA, it was removed.  Some bloggers don't read their comments, I guess.  We just have to keep filing complaints when our work is stolen.

1. profile image75
          Roohi Khanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I also found my article in 4 blogger sites. I have complained to Google. You are right. Bloggers really don't care about reading comments.

I was just surprised at how quickly the content disappeared.

2. profile image75
        Roohi Khanposted 2 years ago in reply to this

That makes sense. Probably someone did file a DMCA before me. I don't think the domain expired because the site is still on. On one of the sites only the page was missing. On another, a completely different article, but on the same topic was present.

I was just surprised at how quickly the content disappeared. I would guess within 12 hours or so.

At least the content was removed.

2. stephenteacher profile image84
    stephenteacherposted 2 years ago

Google and a DMCA are separate issues. Google is not a police or law enforcement agency. Blocking search results is not the same as removing content.

Google has no authority to tell anyone to remove content from a website.

A DMCA has little effect on the internet. Outside the US, it's a pretty lawless internet.

Google does not remove results just because they find out someone has filed a DMCA.

Google is full of stolen and copied content in their search results.

Google does have authority to remove things from their own products, like youtube, blogger, etc.

working