Someone copied my work...I guess I should be flattered

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

I found this when I logged in today. That little red c that lets you know someone copied your work.  Here is the link.  I know my work is my own.  I have the pay stubs and personal stories to back it up. 

Link deleted

I went back and looked, there is no way to flag posts, email or comment without signing up first.  I would like to give that B*tch a piece of my mind!!  She basically stole my stories, my life!!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

First, go back and edit your post to delete the link. Why should you give this s#(! the satisfaction of a valuable backlink?

Next, contact Flizya.com and report this guy.  They give instructions on what you need to do here

http://www.flixya.com/dmca_copyright

Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I didn't even think about it. Just posted the link!  LOL!  Thank you again!  I already contacted them, complete with a link to my hub, and a link to the copied material on their site, and a screen shot of my page saying that my work was originally published on March 21, 2009, while there's was published like two days later.

2. Christoph Reilly profile image69
      Christoph Reillyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Anna: I can solve this for you in a few seconds. They had one of mine on there too. I sent the proper letter tonight and within 5 minutes they had taken the post off their site and sent me a note confirming they had removed the post. They didn't steal it...whoever posted it did and signed a thing saying it was their work. The site is aggressive when they find out someone has posted stolen material there, and get rid of it immediately.  So...what do you want to do?

Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I did all that.  What I want to do is give that girl (or person posing as a girl) a piece of my mind!  Tell her off.  I don't know.  If it had been some random hub, it wouldn't bother me so much, but it had experiences that were mine.  I was the one pregnant, standing at the register for hours at a time, getting a sore back and swollen feet, not her.

1. Christoph Reilly profile image69
          Christoph Reillyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

well, I don't know how your gonna do that...but good luck. I don't know how you would find out who the individual is.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I feel for your rage, Anna Marie.  The temptation to go and leave nasty comments on her article is overwhelming, isn't it?  However, don't.  Other Hubbers will tell you it's a dangerous thing to do - because if you think about it, that person can then come and leave nasty comments all over your Hubs and blogs, or sabotage your work in other ways.  She could even turn into a stalker.  Not something you want to risk!

1. agvulpes profile image86
            agvulpesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Marisa. You are better off devoting all your energy into productive work.

2. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73

Thank you both for your advice.  Yes, the urge is tempting, and I have no idea how I would do it, other than joining that site and leaving her nasty comments.  I just needed to vent a little.  I feel better about it now, just the initial anger over the situation.

3. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73

Thank you all!!  I am over it all, now, for the most part.  Let's hope they take care of it quickly.  It's almost 3am, so I don't expect a response right away.  I guess I will check on it tomorrow.  Thank you again!!  I am off to bed!  Lot's to do tomorrow!

4. ripplemaker profile image76
    ripplemakerposted 15 years ago

Hi Anna, glad to know you are feeling much better now.  Sometimes it may not occur quickly. But they do take it down eventually.  I have still have one copied content staring at me since I don't know the email address of the site.

5. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

Hope it goes ASAP. Having your worked nicked is always annoying, but all the more so when it's personal writing.

6. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

Flixya is about the only site currently stealing my work. I sent the letter they require on one hub and nothing happened. It's still posted there. I have about eight to go and I'm very frustrated. Every other site is set up so you can just email them and they'll take it down--Flixya wants all kinds of crap before they'll take it down. My "How to Make Money Writing Online" is currently posted seven or eight places on Flixya.

I don't see why, when someone takes MY work the burden is on me to prepare some kind of pseudo-legal brief to send to Flixya to get them to take my plagiarized content down. It isn't even flattering anymore, it happens so often now it's just aggravating. It takes up a lot of time that I'd rather spend writing. I think I was happier when I didn't know it was going on.

7. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

Anna Marie I feel your pain I'm trying to get two Chinese companies to take down the latest hub they stole from me. These tweets that stole mine took the article but not the pictures but haven't even bothered to take the "refer to pic #1, check out pic#2 etc out. And I agree with Pam it's a total pain in the watoosy and sooooooo time.
    Chin up it will work itself out soon.
    regards Zsuzsy

8. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 15 years ago

Hi Anna - that's sad. It happened to me quite recently - and it was someone on Flixya. I got lucky I guess - the post was deleted in less than 5 minutes and it was followed up with a note to tell me it was. All I did was to give them the date on which my hub was published and the date the Flixya hub was - one day after mine.

The strange thing was that HubPages marked my hub as duplicate - guess they ran it thru the checker a couple of days after I had published it smile

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I wonder why they are ignoring me? I'm going to try it once more and just list ALL of them in a single letter and let them know this is a repeat effort to get them to remove my content.

I think some people have writing skills and some people have internet skills and some people have both. I have writing skills but the internet--not so much. It doesn't come naturally to me, and I'm starting to reevaluate if writing at places like HP is smart for a person like me. The trouble is, it's the most fun thing I get to do, but if I'm just supplying third world techies with 'content' for free, it's not smart on my part. smile

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Pam,

They run adsense. Put together your communication log with Fixya and forward it to adsense. You hit them right in the wallet smile

1. profile image0

Wow, Misha you are awesome. Um, what's a 'communication log'? You mean my emails to Flixya?

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Yep, and their responses - if any smile

11. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73

Thanks for the great idea, Misha!!!  If they don't take it down, I can go that route!!  Thank you!!

12. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

well tell them that you plan to do that and i expect they will correct your issue doubletime

13. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I did the same thing when my hub was copied. I contacted AdSense and it was gone in days.

14. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Thanks for this meaningful thread. Bookmarked in case of copyright incompetency in the future.

Its true, many good artists steal. The neon lighted ones, though, steal with style and add their own context. Its never useful to take everything verbatim and place it on another site....unless of course, it needs a mirror.

Sincerely,

GLM

15. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73

An update on the copied work issue.  I recieved an email from them saying that the post was deleted.  When I logged on to HP, it was still saying my work had been copied.  I clicked on the link, but it had been deleted, and the thief has been suspended.  So, good news for me!!  I think the screen shot saying my hub was published before they posted the copy helped out a lot.  I had proof mine was first.

16. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Some guy copied my hub into a comment on the BBC, so I just emailed them to let them know what happened.  The BBC was very responsive and took down the post within an hour.

17. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

I took Misha's advice and...

They took it down within about an hour!

Whoo hoo! Thanks Misha. (I guess they just needed a little push.) lol

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
      GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thats right. We often forget to try asking someone themselves to do or undo what they've done. You may have to eventually become confrontational, but they say the truth will set you free...

1. profile image0

No, I tried asking the thief first and was ignored. So Misha said, to send the record of my correspondence to Google. I sent another DMCA request to Flixya and mentioned that this time if they didn't remove my content I'd forward it to Google next and they took it right down.

I always ask the person who took it first, but usually that doesn't work.

18. profile image0
    Louidam1posted 15 years ago

I'm sorry this has happen to you.  Losers are just too lazy to write their own content.  But I'm glad they were reported.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)