jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)

Yet another question..

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

Gosh--I hope one does not get banned for asking too many questions in the forums!  wink

I am still on an editing and tweaking rampage, and have found a set of 3 related articles that need some serious editing/re-writing, even though one of them remains featured.

However, I printed out copies to work from (easier way for me to work on editing a large amount of text--no scrolling back & forth and losing my place)..and the first one needs to be split into two entirely different articles.

So--if I completely delete the existing version, then post the first revision, how long will it take to register that the original is gone, so I don't trip the 'duplicate content' filter?

1. peachpurple profile image76
      peachpurpleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I would say just erase what you don't want and edit new stuff. Then copy the rest into secobd hub and change some text.

2. bravewarrior profile image95
      bravewarriorposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Liz, when you delete an article, you need to go into your Google Adsense account and tell it to remove the link. Once it verifies it's no longer live, it will be removed from the search engines. You should do this each time you delete an online post.

DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Ugh--I have no clue how to do that.  sad

1. bravewarrior profile image95

Thank you, Shauna!

1. bravewarrior profile image95

You're welcome!

2. Marisa Wright profile image96
          Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Don't worry about notifying Google when you delete or remove something.   True, notifying them will make them update their search results faster - but they will work it out themselves anyway within a fairly short time, so it's hardly worth the effort.

As for unpublishing, it's not a big deal if you do it for only a day or two - longer than that, it may be.

2. Marisa Wright profile image96
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago

DO NOT completely delete the existing version.   You should never delete or unpublish existing articles while you edit, lest Google decides they are gone forever and deletes all their history. 

Just remove the material you want and create the second Hub. Leave the second Hub unpublished for a few days, then try publishing it. The worst that can happen is that the dup filter hasn't updated yet, and if that's the case, wait a few more days and try again.

Oh, well, great--too late!  LOL  I did unpublish that "buggy" article while I edited it.    sigh

I'm now working on a group of three in my genealogy series, but as yet, I have not unpublished or deleted them...so, based on your info, I won't.

It will be more like deleting the material I don't want...lol...for that is the larger part of the issue, methinks.
      Thanks for the info, once again, Marisa!  I am thankful for your wise words and patience.

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

Okay--it's all finished, and I didn't delete anything, article-wise/HP wise.

But I made very major edits, including to the title, and 99% of the content.  A lot of it was scrapped for inclusion into a whole separate but related article, a good deal was just plain scrapped, and I added relevant links, photos, and in general streamlined the text.

1. Marisa Wright profile image96
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Sounds like a lot of work, well done for getting it done!

Thanks, Marisa--fait accomplit!  Three articles have become four!  It's an entire series on getting started with Genealogy.

I cut a lot, but I may have to cut more from a couple of them.  Not sure if they're still too long-winded for people to read.
        I can't rely on my husband, as he's very impatient with reading, and won't read a whole page if you have to scroll down!!  Pfft!  (Claims he got burned out on reading in college!)

working