This is Why Newest Ought Not To Be the Default on the Front Page

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12576749_f1024.jpg

Note the top hub. How did it make it through QAP? If it hasn't made it through QAP, what is it doing being the first face of HubPages to people seeing the homepage for the first time?

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Signed in users see a different list of hubs. Try signing out and taking a look. It's better, but not perfect. We are working on it.

That said, I wanted to have more visibility on new hubs for a few reasons. One, I hope to see gaps in our moderation, two, I want to increase the freshness of the site and third, I want people to see the breadth of content so they explore the site more.

We need more weekend moderation coverage. That's coming shortly which will help as well.

We all agree that putting good content forward is what we want to do!

1. Kylyssa profile image90
        Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Won't excellent new hubs get high hub scores and show up naturally in best? If you want the older articles hidden, you could alter the hub score algorithm to permanently lower hub scores on hubs over a few days old by a small percentage so they can never reach 100 once they're older than you like. It would keep hubs more than a few days old off the front page like you want unless the quality of new hubs dropped to the point there weren't enough good ones to fill the front page anymore.

If the idea of Hubpro is to show the people who visit HubPages the best we have, why make a front page that makes the site look less professional than it could?

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
        Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I do not understand why any hub that has not been through QAP yet is visible to all. There are so many really bad and inappropriate hubs that give HP a bad image, which affects all of us. This has been brought up many times before and never resolved.

This was a problem five years ago and we are still seeing such low quality hubs on the front page?

see: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/49041

3. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

As opposed to you want to generate traffic for the site?

If the choice is between "freshness coupled with low quality hubs" and "very good traffic and top quality/popular hub" I know which I'd choose.

Squidoo used to list the top five hubs for every single category on the front page. Then it switched to listing "fresh" lenses with pics and Moderator choices

...and then the traffic died.

Don't forget that every popular hub which brings in traffic has connections which keeps people interested. People who write popular hubs KNOW how to keep people interested and moving around HubPages

The chances are that new/fresh hubs have much poorer connections and are much less likely to keep people on the site - not least because they are on topics which people are much less interested in.

I'd be keeping a very close eye on the average length of stay and bounce rate in your statistics if I were you. I already know what they will be saying.

2. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree Kylyssa. If this is supposed to promote a good image to outside viewers it won't succeed. In yesterday's "newest" homepage almost every second hub was by the same hubber..I counted at least 12...doesn't seem fair for one person to get so much advertising just because they published a heap of hubs a at once.

1. mary615 profile image83
        mary615posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I noticed the same thing, Jodah!!    I have to agree with you.

3. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

i noticed that the front page is the latest hubs released but might not be the best hubs

2. Kylyssa profile image90
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12576814_f1024.jpg

Just so it's clear it isn't an isolated thing.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

Even signed out I can see hubs that are still pending QAP review on the front page's 'Latest' feed. Some of them you can tell aren't going to pass.

I understand the reasons for letting registered users see a less filtered selection, but what is gained by showing the general public hubs that have not passed HP's basic quality check?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am beginning to think that forum and Q&A posts should not appear on the Home Page. Some of those are pretty redundant, ridiculous, mundane, or downright asinine.  I don't see how they can be of any interest to the public.

1. SheilaMilne profile image92
        SheilaMilneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You can see the forum posts etc. only when logged in so the public won't see them

1. janshares profile image93
          jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, SheilaMilne. I hadn't noticed that. I looked closer and did not see any Q&A nor any forums when I signed out. This change came up so unexpectedly that we are reacting to things we may have missed.

2. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree wholeheartedly, Phyllis. It's been bothering me since I first looked at the new design. I cannot add anything more to your descriptives. It takes away from the professionalism of the site.
        In general and in agreement with Kylyssa's concern, I'm confused about what message or image HP is presenting with the new front page design with the inclusion of forums and Q&A. It seems that they've moved more toward "we're a social site," rather than "we're a site that offers informative, quality articles." The front/landing page leaves visitors with the first impression.

4. Chriswillman90 profile image90
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

So bottom line is that we have a lot of unhappy hubbers with several of these changes. I have to concur about many things already mentioned. The latest shouldn't be the default; I don't think any hubs should be visible at all until they pass QAP screening. The Q&A should be removed from there as well.

I'm still confident that things will get put in order because there's trial and error we have to account for.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Sure focus on "new", post QAP.

If "new" without QAP was worth focusing on, we wouldn't need QAP.

The hub at the top when I last looked said:

"rgdfgfdgdfgdsf
    Updated on August 10, 2015
    gdfgsdgsdfgsdf
    pload, import or select images using the tabs to the left. Images will be displayed in the order below; drag-and-drop to change the order. Optionally, add a caption and enter the name and URL of the image source when attribution is required. (Source URLs in photos are counted as links for purposes of determiningpload, import or select images using the tabs to the left. Images will be displayed in the order below; drag-and-drop to change the order. Optionally, add a caption and enter the name and URL of the image source when attribution is required. (Source URLs in photos are counted as links for purposes of determining if a Hub is overly promotional) if a Hub is overly promotional)pload, import or select images using"

Yeah, great to focus on that....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)