How hard is it to make money on this site?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (78 posts)
  1. profile image58
    Eric Luongposted 10 years ago

I made two hubs and both were rejected -I can understand that.  What I do want to know is if the site can make money for me, and if so, how can I do it?

1. Nimesh De Silva profile image65
      Nimesh De Silvaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can read the hub I posted about how to get your hubs accepted and featured during the Boot Camp period.
      Also there's a big money making opportunity with HubPages.
      For an example I have only 11 Hubs and they have started earning me cents of dollars per day. This is very good considering that I only have 11 hubs and I've been here for like three weeks.

2. profile image0
      Eli Mooreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure why you got a Hub rejected. Usually you are notified of the problems present in your Hub before it is removed.

I never had a Hub rejected or removed, but I have had problems flagged that I fixed.

As far as making money, I discourage you from writing if making money is your goal. It is extremely difficult for someone to hop into writing because they think it's an easy way to make money. It isn't. It is, however, easy if you are the kind of person who loves to write and does it as a hobby. But that kind of person wouldn't start writing BECAUSE they wanted to make money; rather they would start publishing to make money. But if they couldn't publish here, they would still be writing. That's the kind of person who would find HubPages beneficial.

Face it, online writing is an almost perfectly competitive market. That is, there are no barriers to entry. Anyone can compete. Therefore, in order to be successful, you need to have something unique to say.

People follow writers because of their unique contribution, be it by information, expertise, or entertainment. The best writers in my experience are the ones that have dedicated their lives to a particular topic—politics, fiction, philosophy, investigative journalism, etc.

If you are the kind of person who would write even without making a profit, then you are the kind of person who cares about your content and your audience. If that is you, then you will be pleased with the ad revenue.

If you are just trying to wing it for making money, then you will find that you probably don't have something unique to contribute in the first place. You will find that you actually are not very conscious about the quality of your writing. And you will most likely find that you won't succeed.

This doesn't change if you go somewhere else. Wherever you go, you will find the same general truth. It has nothing to do with HubPages.

But I will add that if you ARE a good writer, then HubPages offers a VERY convenient platform for immediate publication and royalties.

But face it, you still have to have something good to say, something UNIQUE. And you have to write well.

3. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Making money at HubPages, and on the Internet in general, is very very hard. It is a long-term proposition. There is a ton of competition and you have to be either very good or very lucky to make much money.

1. ameliam.michelle1 profile image60
        ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Totally agreeing with Sherry on this, making money on Internet is a long-term process involving loads of hardwork an patience

2. plusMinus profile image72
        plusMinusposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yah! it's possible to earn money but the amount of money to earn depends on you and your effort to create good contents and publish them...

smile

3. phdast7 profile image81
        phdast7posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello Eric.  Just checked your homepage and you joined twenty-two [ 22 ] hours ago.   You have been given some good advice, and how to move forward on HP depends a lot on what you want, and how long and hard you are willing to work.  But boy do you have the cart before the horse.

My advice:   (1)   Spend twenty hours reading HP tutorials and guides and many of your questions and concerns will be answered and you will know how to proceed.   (2)   Spend twenty hours reading high quality hubs and get a feel for what is out there and why people write  (some are here for a supportive writing community, some to improve their writing skills, some to make money).    (3)   After you read 10 or 15 tutorials and decide what kind of writer you want to be and have written ten [ 10 ] hubs, you will be able to ask very specific questions and lots of hubbers will do their best to help you.

None of us can explain the whole program or "give" you all the answers.  You need to do a lot of prep work yourself.    Good Luck and I hope you do well on HP.

1. Will Apse profile image88
          Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is a good way to start!

Then, of course, you need a little luck. Stumble onto a useful keyword phrase, write a good page, publish it at the right moment and the little flash of success is a great motivator.

4. Sue B. profile image93
        Sue B.posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to Hubpages!

I was asking the same questions about 2 years ago.  I do make money on hubpages and I personally think it's the best site to write on because it's the only site I've made money on.  I've sent countless hours on other sites and I've made some money being paid per article but I've made the most over time on hubpages.

I have 47 hubs, some get a lot of visitors and some don't, and I make about $100-$150 per month.  I didn't accrue the $50 minimum pay out over the course of the first year.  Once I hit a year, I was getting the minimum pay out every other month and then it steadily increased to where I am now.

I meant to write a lot more on hubpages and most of my hubs are from the first year.  I really like the residual income and the patience pays off- being paid $30 an article is  less money than if you maintain a good hub over time.

Everyone's experience is different.  Hubpages is not a get-rich-quick solution.  I see it as supplemental income I can make over time while tinkering with writing on subjects I like and guessing at SEO (I am sure people who understand all the technical aspects of getting traffic make more than me!) while interacting with an interesting writing community.

I like it and I'm curious to see how you do in the future.  Good luck!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Considering that you only have 47 hubs, you are doing extremely well here!  My income does not come close to yours, but I do see that you write in an unusual niche...dreams...which is a subject many people are curious about.  Congrats on your success...but other readers of this forum should know that not many make the kind of money you are getting, especially with the small amount of hubs you have written.  Good job!

1. Sue B. profile image93

Thanks, Timetraveler2,

I didn't realize I was relatively successful since I've always focused on those top earners!  I have noticed that certain niches do better.  For me, 95% of my income comes from hubs about dreams- my other hubs do not do as well.  I took a peak at your profile and I see you have over 100 hubs but have only been on for a year.  I would be curious to see how our earnings compare after you've been on for 2 years like me. I have seen a jump from year to year without adding much.  I have found the older a hub is, the better it is doing.  I would be curious to know if that is a typical experience.  Thanks for the feedback and good luck to you!  smile

2. Dvd Zermeno Perez profile image84
          Dvd Zermeno Perezposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Try using all the options given by the Internet, social media and free promotional software can be REALLY helpful in your case, you can improve your impact in the searching engines by increasing your impact in social media, network flow and recommendation by other pages, if you do this correctly It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 2 or 5 years, every day you will have a nice and good looking reward, you have an advantage those 47 hubs can have more traffic with this improvements, you can have at least the double of your earnings right now.
          Good luck and keep the hard work!! smile

3. lovebuglena profile image85
          lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Being able to cash out every month or every other month is awesome.

5. lovebuglena profile image85

The site doesn't make money for you. You are the one that is able to make money on this site if you so choose and if what you do works. Write hubs on topics that interest you and that you can say plenty about. Then sign up for AdSense and join the HubPages Ad Program to display ads on your hubs and to make money from ad clicks and ad impressions. 60% of the time your AdSense ID will run and 40% that of HubPages...

4. beaddve1800 profile image64
      beaddve1800posted 10 years ago

By two hubs, it is hard to make money. If you want to know the website can make money, you need to do some research. In my perspective, Hubpages is not really primarily for making money, but it is a place to build good quality articles.

1. profile image58
        Eric Luongposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ok, thanks, I'm just new to this place, never tried freelancing before, and I just wanted to know what this site is about

2. lovebuglena profile image85

I've seen a hubber who has been on HubPages 5 years or so, has 10 hubs or so, and has over a million views... And over 2000 thousand followers. So, I'm guessing one can make money from just having a few published hubs but it is probably rare.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image95
      FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I stopped worrying about the money angle on this site a looooong time ago. Treat it as a hobby and if you make a payout along the way, that's fine too.

1. go-barbara-go profile image75
        go-barbara-goposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Exactly! We love Hubpages for some reasons ,but money. Lol!

1. profile image58
          Eric Luongposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you all for helping ^_^

6. BChild75 profile image58
      BChild75posted 10 years ago

I can honestly tell u, I have been more sucessful w/ empower network....best luck b w/ u

7. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 10 years ago

I think the letter shortage is worsening.

8. susi10 profile image96
      susi10posted 10 years ago

It is extremely hard to make money here on HubPages, you will have to work very, very hard. However, provided you comment on others Hubbers, write good hubs with a poll/video and a few picture and a little keyword research, you will be successful here on HubPages.

Most Hubbers don't see their first payment for the first six months or so, but then they get a passive income here. If you are here to get rich quick, unfortunately this is not the site for you. Don't expect to earn a lot of money fast, if you do, start writing good hubs. You are already on that path, I would recommend adding a picture or two to your PS Vita review and perhaps a poll.

1. walterjohn profile image58
        walterjohnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanx

9. VictoriaSheffield profile image80
      VictoriaSheffieldposted 10 years ago

If there is ever a problem with one of my Hubs, I basically revise it and Hubpages usually accepts it then.

10. Healthyannie profile image86
      Healthyannieposted 10 years ago

Well done KL Klein - keep on writing and enjoy the nice and friendly community.

1. KL Klein profile image69
        KL Kleinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I do love HubPages.

11. watergeek profile image95
      watergeekposted 10 years ago

It's very difficult to make money on this site. I've been here two years, have nearly 70 high quality hubs, and I make just  a few dollars per month. The big benefit to Hubpages is its writing community. You can learn a lot about writing here. People are willing to share information and there are a lot of interesting articles. Once you are a good writer, you can use your hubs as examples, like a portfolio, or try selling them to magazines.

12. findwholeness profile image87
      findwholenessposted 10 years ago

I think it really depends on what you write about and the quality of your writing, b/c I've only been on here 3 months and am already making about $4 per day.

1. HollieT profile image80
        HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but there's the freshness factor here. In my experience, albeit limited, Google send a nice amount of traffic to (some) new subdomians initially. But certainly doesn't last in many cases. What is four dollars per day now may become 20 cents per day later.

1. kthix10 profile image77
          kthix10posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree I was at about $3 a day for a long time and now after the last google rollout  I earn pennies a day.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
        Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's not impossible to make money here, but it's very rare to make that much in 3 months. Congrats to you for achieving it, but newbies coming on board should not be led to expect such success.

1. watergeek profile image95
          watergeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of which, is there any way of finding out on HP which niches are really profitable? I know water conservation is not. sad

1. HollieT profile image80
            HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sadly, the most interesting and vital topics remain *unsearched* but at least you're doing your bit to get that information out there.

Have you thought about writing about plants, water and gardening? I know you have probably covered this in your hubs, but people are fickle. They don't always care that children in some parts of the world do not have access to clean, safe water. But they do care about how to grow award winning roses during a hose pipe ban in arid lands. Sad, but true!

I wish I could "like" this reply.  I'm trying an experiment now. I noticed when double checking keywords for my low-flow washing machine hub that quadruple the number of people were looking for info on cheap washing machines. So I'm writing a hub on cheap washing machines and how that pays off financially in the long run. We'll see what happens with it, traffic-wise. wink

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It helps to notice what kind of hubs/titles bring in traffic.  With the quality and number of hubs you now have, you should be making more than a few dollars a month.  I would change a few of your titles into 'how to ..., 'what is ...'  With the topics you now have, you have the potential to bring in very targeted traffic which can pay off with referrals and shares, plus you're successfully answering a search query. 
            I recently read that titles are much more important than many content writers realize and that we don't give enough time into composing the best title.  The article suggested looking at magazine titles of topics that we write about to see how they're formed.

I think that's a good idea. THanks for the suggestion, Rebekah.

1. Greekgeek profile image78
                Greekgeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Titles are tremendously important, yep. They're what people look at when deciding whether to click on a link to your page or any other links listed on the page they're currently reading.

There's a site I go back to again and again to remind me of how to write headlines.

Google for "magnetic headlines copyblogger." It's a free tutorial on an excllent site about how to write for web audiences. It's somewhat geared towards marketing, but it works for other kinds of articles as well, since no matter what you write, you need titles that draw visitors to your page.

Cool. I noticed once I started working on it, that finding the right titles can be kinda fun. I just changed three this morning. Now I'll check out this article. Thanks, Greekgeek . . . from another geek.

2. Susana S profile image91
          Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It's better to aim for success than failure surely?

13. CarolynEmerick profile image82
      CarolynEmerickposted 10 years ago

@Findwholeness, how many hubs did you have up before Adsense approved you?

1. findwholeness profile image87
        findwholenessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Zero. AdSense approved me from a blog I created back in December.

2. Sue B. profile image93

CarolynEmerick-
        The best advice I received when first starting hubpages was to start a blog with blogspot or whatever else is affiliated with Google and then apply the adsense to hubpages.

14. LoisRyan13903 profile image61
      LoisRyan13903posted 10 years ago

It takes time.  I started in Feb of this year and have almost 60 hubs published and average $1.00 a month.  I am writing to share what I learn in my Bible Studies and it gives me a joy, and the main reason why I started Hub Pages in the first place.  I have a goal to have 160 hubs completed in the year-I believe that the more hubs you have, the more income potential each month.  True you might not be able to retire on it, but it can add up to some extra spending money.  As for the two hubs that were rejected, check you email.  The team should point out what the problem is.  It could be something that the images may be a low quality.

15. brimancandy profile image76
      brimancandyposted 10 years ago

I have been hear for a few years, and have yet to make a payout. I started adding more hubs, but hubpages has un-featured all but 4 of my hubs. So i have given up on writing any new ones. they also unpublished a hub that was one of my most popular for being over promotional. Even though I had that hub featured on the site for over 3 years.

You would be better off trying to earn money elsewhere. It's sad because people who are making money don't have the best hubs, but they have tons of them, and make money more off from Amazon, and adsense, because they know how to work the system.

If you are not computer smart,or know about many different things that come along with hubpages. You will not make much money.

16. chocominties profile image77
      chocomintiesposted 10 years ago

I write because I want to share information.  Making money from that is a neat little side effect. 

I think the element to focus on is that HubPages is looking for a standard of quality (informative, no glaring grammar/spelling errors, not just a million advertising links), and to try to give what they're asking for.  Kind of like you would do with a client who asked you to write something.  Read other hubs (not just those about how to write hubs) and find something you're passionate about and think that other people want to read. 

It's hit or miss.  Some of my articles get hardly any views while others get hundreds or thousands.  A lot of times you're just throwing things at the wall and seeing if they stick.  And if they do, you might make some money.  I make roughly $7 a month.  No, it's not big bucks, but it's self-generating income.  It's easy.  And I never thought I would make even that much, to be honest. 

Don't force it?  Maybe that's what I'm trying to say.

17. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 10 years ago

It is stupidly easy to make money on Hubpages. That may be 50 cents a month.

What is not easy is making a decent, large amount of money over a long period of time and sustaining that income. To state a number large would be $250 per month every month. But that also depends on your own defition of 'make money'

An extremely large amount of writers give up and no longer publish after producing 20 hubs, on average.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

correction- replace defition with definition.

18. Will Apse profile image88
      Will Apseposted 10 years ago

HP should dig into the earnings issue a little and publish some real earnings (without naming names). 

This stuff about people only making a few cents a month will damage the site.

19. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 10 years ago

I earn money here. But that did take learning as well as my articles aging. My earnings (from this account) vary between the 200s and the 600s. I have a few other accounts that bring me a payout every few months too. I don't really write here for money anymore (I have enough of my own projects) but I still get my nice monthly payout smile

1. ameliam.michelle1 profile image60
        ameliam.michelle1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thats quite nice Wrylit, very few hubbers earn that much money here, nice job!

2. watergeek profile image95

This is very encouraging. I haven't given up. I know my quality is good, so I'm figuring out ways to address popular subjects, while still advocating for sustainability. I'm also starting to read some of your hubs to figure out how to direct traffic my way - via Pinterest, for example.

20. helpavisitor profile image60
      helpavisitorposted 10 years ago

Patience is the answer. Have a lot of it and you will smile later.

21. hubmuffins profile image61
      hubmuffinsposted 10 years ago

Hey bro, i've been on hubpages for more than a year and i'm yet to receive payments. To tell you tha truth I even got rejected by google adsense for lack of content
      and i think this is the story of most of the people here. Its very hard to earn money here. I would advice you to write quality articles and forget about the money business and when you've had enough traffic then go for the money. Hope this helps

22. MichaelUS profile image70
      MichaelUSposted 10 years ago

It's hard but it's worth since the promise is a residual income! I guess you better read the suggestions of Hubpages itself regarding no how to write a better article. I too only have two Hubs, but I think earning only pours in once you have your own affiliates links from Amazon or eBay and have a google Adsense, otherwise, where will you get the income?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Adsense.  IMHO for most people that is the primary source of Hubpages income.

Adsense is the hardest way to make a living these days. So, if what you say is true, people should take a look at the alternatives.

If the peeps are getting more on a consistent basis from one of the affiliate programs, I'd love to hear about it.

IMHO traffic is down, that makes earning from any of the programs harder.

The affiliate route is more tricky now than it has ever been, but if you master the moves it is very rewarding.

So are you getting more on a consistent basis from one of the affiliate programs, than adsense? If so I imagine it is a product oriented hub topic?

23. toptengamer profile image88
      toptengamerposted 10 years ago

You know what I think the biggest barrier is for people in making money here and other places online? Distraction. It's so easy to work at a computer each day and find other things to read and do.

If you're willing to put the pen to the paper, then the money will be there.

24. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years ago

Don't give up so soon. Try to write a couple of hubs, you will succeed.  Keep your confidence level intact and work hard. I am sure you can achieve some positive result soon.  Please check some of my hubs especially regarding my hubbing activities.  I hope reading those, you will feel more confident.

25. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

I have just realized that plowing through this entire thread would probably be a darn good idea. No joke.

Working up the energy as we speak. smile

26. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

Follow up.

Read through it.

Gave me my next hub idea. Probably take a month for me to write it though.

Serendipity, ya just never know...

1. rlleon42 profile image80
        rlleon42posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think you've had enough over the top - long winded, answers to a simple question:  No.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)