Question regarding the TOU

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. DasEngel profile image61
    DasEngelposted 8 years ago

I have been living in a country for quite a many years now, though I've never read its constitution. Not throughly anyway. And I wouldn't invest more than five minutes reading any constituion frankly speaking. Quite a similar stuff I guess.

I didn't bother to read HubPages' Terms of Use when I joined this site. I've a question, which is: The Terms of Use currently states that revenue generated from each hub is to be split in such a way that 40% of the cash would go to HubPages, and 60% to the author (hubber).

The question is:  Is that 60/40 ratio negotioable under and according to the TOU? I ask for help because I personally do not have that much patience to scrutinize every inch of the terms of use section. I get headache after reading such stuff. My concern is briefly this:  for example, if HubPages, in future, develop a desperate need for resouces, and if it decides to change its TOU to increase its revenue share, for example, in a way that HubPages would get 80% of the cash generated from each hub, and the author would get 20%, will that 'change' be considered legal under the TOU?

Thank you.

1. theraggededge profile image95
      theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, a company can change its Terms at any time. You are the consumer, i.e. the site user, therefore you have the right to remove your content and publish elsewhere, also at any time

DasEngelposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for answering. And your answer is fair enough, I suppose. Given further thought, I came to the following 2 queries:

1. Is the HubPages' TOU governed by some other, third-party laws, or is it an autonomous entity itself? The website is housed in California, so common sense tells me that HubPages is bound to run the business according to the laws of the state. And there must be some federal laws (covering entire American users) which restrict the range of actions for Amercian website owners and administrators, in general.

2. HubPages may change its terms of contract anytime and may increase or decease the percentage of revenue split received. But can it legally do so for authors who signed up under the original contract? For example, if under some critical circumstances HubPages increases its revenue share to 80%, and implement that change sitewide, will that be considered legal for authors who had agreed to use the service under the contract which is that HubPages will get 40% and authors will get 60% of the revenue generated by each hub?

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You and most of the others in this thread are misinterpreting the TOU even now.

You do not get a split of the cash from your Hubs, you get a split of the impression time.  You get 100% of what your impressions earn.

I missed it. Thank you for the correction. But the point actually remains the same:  will it be considered legal if HubPages, under critical circustances, increases their share of the total 'impression time' that is assigned to each hub, from the current 40%, to 80% or more?

I've got the answer. It's legal.

1. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just so you know, at no time in the nine year history of HubPages have they ever done anything to increase the impression time percentage. 

And they've added ads which only the site earns from to lots of areas.

The question wan not whether it has been done. The question was whether it's possible.

2. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

The terms of use contains a bit saying the TOU is subject to change at any time. It's pretty standard in terms of rules for posting on content farms. There's also a bit in it that says the earnings are not guaranteed.

Why not just read the TOU? Also, why not read your country's constitution?

Thanks for the answer. There are several reasons. One of the most immediate ones is that I do not need to read a constitution to stay in the country.

3. makingamark profile image71
    makingamarkposted 8 years ago

You'll find most contracts say or more or less the same thing. The ones that get taken to court are the ones that are unfair within the eyes of the legislature and judiciary of the country/state which governs the contract - as stated in the contract.

Bottom line it would be a very unwise site that relies on others for content to start messing people about

It wouldn't have to be as the extreme example you gave.

The fact of the matter is people can pick up their content any time they want and just walk with it - and that's an actual asset walking out the door - and being deleted from the Google Index as well.

Of course any site has turnover and any sensible site normally monitors the performance indicator for this.

It's when the good authors with good content start walking and the news ones coming in to replace them can barely write English that a site like HubPages needs to be worried.

Thank you for the thoughtful answer. But my question was quite specific, which is:  Will it be considered legal if HubPages, for example, incease its revenue share from the current 40%, to something like 80% or more?

1. makingamark profile image71
        makingamarkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If the contract allows then it is legal.

Making a change like that would very probably cause the site to close down as most people who are earning the money which keeps it afloat would very probably exit the site PDQ - so that in sense it's somewhat of an academic question! smile

Just checked in the actual HubPages TOU a moment ago. It was all in the very first paragraph. Seems like that the contract does allow even as 'extreme' measures as such.

1. Kylyssa profile image91
            Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Any change at any time is legal because either you clicked that you agreed to the TOS when you signed up or use of the site's services automatically equals agreement to the terms of its use. I think both are actually in there.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

And your question has been answered, twice.

4. profile image0
    Cpoexpertsposted 8 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)